F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Questions about the 330e.
ARMA SPEED

05-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i & BMW 330e

Question Questions about the 330e.

My wife is looking to get a more fuel efficient used vehicle as her Jeep gets 23 mpg. She'd be looking to get something with under 60k on the odometer.

1.) I'm new hybrids and don't quite understand the mpg ratings. On the 330e it says "72 MPGe combined city/highway 0.0 gal/100mi of gas +47" and "31 MPG combined city/highway 3.2 gal/100m" Does this mean on a full charge it gets 72 mpg and on gas engine only it gets 31 mpg?

2.) Are there any common issues with the 330e's or any reason to steer clear of them?

3.) How long are the batteries supposed to last and how much is a replacement?

4.) Are tax incentives only for new hybrids?

5.) How much would I be looking at paying for a home charger and what voltage should I get?
      05-24-2022, 10:29 PM   #2
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootisTigglebits View Post
My wife is looking to get a more fuel efficient used vehicle as her Jeep gets 23 mpg. She'd be looking to get something with under 60k on the odometer.

1.) I'm new hybrids and don't quite understand the mpg ratings. On the 330e it says "72 MPGe combined city/highway 0.0 gal/100mi of gas +47" and "31 MPG combined city/highway 3.2 gal/100m" Does this mean on a full charge it gets 72 mpg and on gas engine only it gets 31 mpg?

2.) Are there any common issues with the 330e's or any reason to steer clear of them?

3.) How long are the batteries supposed to last and how much is a replacement?

4.) Are tax incentives only for new hybrids?

5.) How much would I be looking at paying for a home charger and what voltage should I get?
1) Sticker mileage on a hybrid is subjective, especially with a PHEV. It really depends on how and where you drive them. Take a Prius, for example. The sticker might say "40 MPG". You could race around and only get 30, but a good hypermiler could get 60. With a PHEV, it's different. With mine, I might go a week of driving and the gas engine never starts. In this case, I went over 1000 miles on 10 gallons of gas, and finished full tank of gas at a little over 101 MPG for that tank. In another case, on a road trip, around 70 MPH average, I finished a tank at a little under 50 MPG, because the engine ran a whole lot more at highway speeds. Keep in mind the tank only holds 10 gallon, and max. speed on battery is 70 MPH.

2) I haven't had a single hiccup with mine other than new tires. Other than my Lexus, its been my most reliable.

3) The car has 3 batteries. 2- 12volts and the traction battery. The battery will most probably last the life of the car. There's a whole lot of battery technology out there, and there is a lot to learn. But the batteries in a PHEV don't need to be entirely replaced as you would replace an engine. In simpler terms, if the longevity degrades to a point that is noticeable, pull off the cover of the traction battery, find the bad cells with a voltmeter, and replace those cells. You can do the same with your DeWalt battery drill. Pull apart the battery pack and find the bad Ni-Cad Sub C battery. Buy a new one on ebay for 50 cents and solder it in. Or you could buy a new factory Dewalt battery pack for $80. Your choice.

4) The federal tax rebates on the 330e are most likely done. Especially on a used. The state rebates are another matter, but knowing Kentucky, I doubt it. Unless your car burnt coal. But you have to check your state website. Good luck on that. But on mine in PA, the feds set me $4000, and the state set me $750.

5) I paid around $350 for a made in the USA, Clipper Creek home garage charger. Its a "Level 2" 220 volt charger. There are millions available on the internet. Don't get shocked and electrocute yourself hooking up to your house. I have a Level 1/2 portable charger in the trunk with various NEMA plug ends so I can charge up and get "free gas" at motels and such. Cost of ownership on a PHEV these days, averages about 10 times less than your average Dodge Ram, F150 owner, depending on the supplier and distributor charges from your local utility company.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      06-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #3
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i & BMW 330e

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I specialize in biomedical equipment technology so electronics is second mature to me. We're still trying to sell her Jeep, but once that's sold we'll be buying a 330e
      07-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Thread Hijack!!!

So how does the hybrid work? It looks like BMW lists the range at 32-37 mile and then what it shifts over to gas? I guess I am missing something but with such a limited electric range it doesn't seem worth it. How long does it take to charge with the slowest charger? Do you still need premium fuel? Performance seems kinda poor for hybrid turbo car. Must be the weight.
Appreciate 0