F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Making power in my F31 340i
Studio RSR

10-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #23
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Very impressive! Like others, I am amazed you tolerated the open diff so long (first thing I did on my M135i when I got it). But fantastic results in terms of power gains - and a prize for commitment!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #24
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Hope you haven't had any broken oil filter issues with all those changes.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #25
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
The oil filter housing came apart a bit when it was at Williams Performance back in March but only clipped out of the housing. Since then I've done it a couple of times at home and it's been fine.

One time the car slid off of an axle stand whilst lowering one side down and it ripped a side skirt which wasn't fun. Since then I've got under the car with only one side lifted up as the oil changes are so easy to do that way.
      10-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #26
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
The oil filter housing came apart a bit when it was at Williams Performance back in March but only clipped out of the housing. Since then I've done it a couple of times at home and it's been fine.

One time the car slid off of an axle stand whilst lowering one side down and it ripped a side skirt which wasn't fun. Since then I've got under the car with only one side lifted up as the oil changes are so easy to do that way.
I recommend twin trolley hacks with larger rubber saddles, and use axle stands under suspension mounting points as backups for safety.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851613.50
      10-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #27
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I recommend twin trolley hacks with larger rubber saddles, and use axle stands under suspension mounting points as backups for safety.
The issue was the car was high up on one side with axle stand and jack pads and then when I lowered it down the pad slid of the axle stand due to the different angle.

If I need both sides up I will use the shitty spare jack to lower the other side.
      10-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
The issue was the car was high up on one side with axle stand and jack pads and then when I lowered it down the pad slid of the axle stand due to the different angle.

If I need both sides up I will use the shitty spare jack to lower the other side.
I can visualise how it happened. Personally I only ever use axle stands as a backup rather than the primary means of support. So many axle stands have very small support surfaces where they meet the car and most don't have a rubber pad for added grip - very easy for them to slip.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 02:28 AM   #29
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The car was lifted at the front with two axle stands and a trolley jack at one corner too. The axle stands have rubber feet for the pads so the car is secure when in the air but it seems when the car was lowered the pads just slipped.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #30
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the next stage is coming along nicely. After speaking with Williams Performance, CoolingMist UK, Osprey Performance and a couple of tuners I have a new shopping list coming next week.

Williams (Cobb) Performance Port meth
7x coolingmist CM3 meth nozzles
Stealth Meth tank
Torqbyte LT5 controller

Osprey performance oil catch can
Osprey performance custom charge pipe
Osprey performance custom air intake system

Currently the fastest f31 in the UK. Aiming for fastest f31 full stop

Last edited by chris-c; 10-12-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
K13GRY15.00
Spangle37.00
G50932.00
      11-05-2021, 03:53 AM   #31
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The modificiations continue

Further to my first post the modifications are still ongoing and I'm moving on with the William's Port Meth and a lovely Torqbyte controller. The controller is complex but it should give me the flexibility to control everything I need when the time comes.

I visited Chris @ Opsrey Performance ( LINK ) who built me a completely custom intake and a catch can. Both of which are currently in development but even this "version 1" in my car oozes quality.

We then started with the Meth install. We ran the meth line from the boot to the front and left it secured because we knew we'd not complete the job that day. Set up the meth tank with a low level float sensor and called it a day

Whilst waiting for the meth plate to arrive I decided it made sense for me to wire up as much as I could to save time when it came to actually installing the rest of the setup. I wanted to hide everything as much as possible but also make it easy to remove as and when the time comes. I tried to follow the loom from the battery and then run the power out under the floor flap.

I removed the carpet and realised that you could feed the meth pipe and power down the opposite side and a small hole enabled the wires to come out with the tank and remain hidden.

The meth controller sits very nicely here with all wires going securely under the flap to be held out of the way. I've got access to the controllers USB port for changing settings.

But when I want to do the shopping or go out with the family it's all hidden away and no one would ever know it's there.

Next bit of wiring is to the arm rest console area to place a power switch for the controller and then there will be a low level warning LED by the cup holder. My car doesn't have a LED lighting that area up from factory but it does have a hole so there will be an indicator LED hidden in there also out of the way. The goal is no one will know there is anything out of the ordinary unless they start lifting up flaps and checking where I've hidden stuff
      11-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #32
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
7x coolingmist CM3 meth nozzles
6 in the ports and one in the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #33
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
6 in the ports and one in the turbo?
6 in the ports, one in the charge pipe.

Chargepipe meth on its own has always been a tricky subject but this will be a bit of "extra help" with an already large flow of meth directly into the ports so leaning on cylinder out shouldn't be a concern.

Got the torqbyte wired into the car and got data from it so that's a bonus, next step is to get the tmap sensor wired in and the meth plate but it's all pretty much ready to go on Wednesday now.
      11-08-2021, 04:10 AM   #34
Lorcan
Rep

Sounds good. One in the pipe won't make up for one in the port going down through as it will be distributed across all 6 cylinders. Methanol likes to run VERY rich and people often underestimate how much flow is needed. Double, compared to petrol, is often quoted but that's borderline and for peak power it's closer to triple the flow. If you go too rich it won't misfire it will just lose power. It likes lots of ignition advance too, if you have that capability. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #35
moppity
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

What a build out! Wow. @chris-c what would you say were the best things to come out of the replaced diff and suspension? Are you still on run-flat tyres? I've always found BMW ride quality to be a bit crashy, but replacing the tyres with non-runflats has helped. Interested in your experience of the suspension changes though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #36
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. One in the pipe won't make up for one in the port going down through as it will be distributed across all 6 cylinders. Methanol likes to run VERY rich and people often underestimate how much flow is needed. Double, compared to petrol, is often quoted but that's borderline and for peak power it's closer to triple the flow. If you go too rich it won't misfire it will just lose power. It likes lots of ignition advance too, if you have that capability. Good luck!
I should have ample flow to add the pep I'm looking for. The one in the chargepipe is just because I can add it easily and it'll give the extra flow. I'm not sure exactly what my tuner is going to target but I'm getting 25psi and 16deg timing but time will tell what my car lets them do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppity View Post
What a build out! Wow. @chris-c what would you say were the best things to come out of the replaced diff and suspension? Are you still on run-flat tyres? I've always found BMW ride quality to be a bit crashy, but replacing the tyres with non-runflats has helped. Interested in your experience of the suspension changes though.
Swapping from runflats to proper tyres made a massive massive difference. The second I drove the car away from the tyre shop I had a huge grin and instead of driving the 3 min drive to my house I went out for over an hour enjoying the car. The new suspension from Birds is simply incredible. The car feels so much better at speed or on a B-Road blast. The diff I didnt really expect too much from but its a proper laugh if you want to be childish but also really really useful for pulling out of junctions quickly.
RustyBitz1573.50
G50932.00
moppity91.50
      11-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #37
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the meth is now installed and currently being tuned. The wiring wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be but it's time consuming to make sure everything is correct.

First off I got out my printed sheet to remind me what I was doing and where the wires went. Oh yeah, had to take off the intake and catch can

The threads on the meth plate were not clean and had lots of metal from machining still in them. Had to re-tap the thread so I didnt get any crap in the engine.

Hey presto the manifold is out. Top tip, disconnect the coolant line from the top of the low temp coolant system and use a pump to push coolant out of the coolant line. We managed to get 1.6L out of the manifold so it didnt leak everywhere. Oh and unclip the coolant hose from the front of the car near the headlight or you'll have hell getting the manifold out. We didn't which is why we know about unclipping it now!

Manifold sitting pretty

Custom fabricated a mounting plate for the meth distribution thing. Sits nicely onto the ecu box and everything is secure.

The plate is on and plumbed in. Another top tip, DONT test spray whilst its actually on the engine or you'll end up with water (I was testing with water) in the engine and you'll have to do a crank over without plugs... grr!

The manifold is now sitting up and out a bit more so we had to fabricate a couple of risers to hold the manifold up. Some people dont bother and just let it sit how it does, others make other solutions. This was ours.

It all went back together and many swearwords were said at how awkward the coolant pipes were! The car was topped up, bled and ready for everything else to go back on.

Chris (Mr Osprey!) made some funky connectors for the catch can so you could use the standard pcv clips. These aren't sold anywhere and he makes them in house.

This means that when the new catch can is back on the car it looks OEM almost with how neat the pipes are

I don't have my intake lid as he is busy making me a modification to it but it all sits in here nicely and the engine bay looks a bit funkier. Currently settin the car up but it's got a switch in the arm-rest to turn off the meth if needed, a LED above the cup holder to let me know if I'm running out of meth and I can swap from pump to pump+meth within about 5seconds due to MG Flashers map switching on the fly
winther11818.50
      11-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #38
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:

But when I want to do the shopping or go out with the family it's all hidden away and no one would ever know it's there.

Except for the skeleton& skull in the boot carpet!

Nice work, way beyond my capabilities but do like a slick install of things
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
Lorcan
Rep

Good work fella! Looks very much like the fuel side of a wet nitrous kit. You have some kind of controller for the pulsing solenoid I presume, mapped to boost? Is this an American kit? That would explain the swarf everywhere, it's standard for the septics
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #40
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good work fella! Looks very much like the fuel side of a wet nitrous kit. You have some kind of controller for the pulsing solenoid I presume, mapped to boost? Is this an American kit? That would explain the swarf everywhere, it's standard for the septics
The controller is the TorqByte CM5-LTS in the boot. It takes an RPM and boost reference and then controls the pump and solenoid.

The kit is actually UK Made (William's Performance). I think I was unlucky as I've not heard of any other messy kits just mine
Lorcan3609.00
      11-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #41
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

I saw in a YT vid that the B58 from a new supra has forged internals and can handle 1000bhp without internal changes, is that the case for the B58's in these 3/4 series as well?

Amazing build, I'm in awe.
      11-12-2021, 03:17 PM   #42
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I know these will handle 700WHP on stock internals and I also know that the supras can handle a bit more but 1000WHP is a one hit wonder.

In my car I know that the block *SHOULD* handle more than the gearbox can.
      11-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #43
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

700whp... blimey.

There's me thinking BM3 to ~400 on mine was pushing it (when I eventually do it)
      11-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #44
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This is probably mid 600's right now. Just need to bring more power in.