F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > XHP black Friday discount
proTUNING Freaks

02-15-2024, 09:14 AM   #67
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
What am I talking about? Well, I'll be cruising along in 7th at 1500rpm, at 50ish mph, and it just drops to 6th for no reason, then back to 7th again. Sometimes it double shifts to 5th, then back to 7th again. It'll do it a few times in a 60 minute journey.

Stock and Stage 1 don't do that.
I can't say I've ever noticed that behaviour with mine but then I'm on twice the mileage, maybe its too old and tired to bother
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #68
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Must just be mine then

Back to Stage 2. I got stuck in 2 hours of traffic Wednesday night and had a few very jerky 2>3>2 moments with Stage 3. That was in 'relaxed' though so maybe the revised shift points and faster shifts didn't agree with the conditions.

I can see myself flashing back to stock at this rate as I can't seem to find anything in xHP's repertoire that suits my needs

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely brilliant on the move, but in heavy traffic it's too glitchy for my liking. Stock also gets a bit clumsy in the 5-15 mph range with 2nd and 3rd when slowing down and speeding up constantly, but it's not as harsh as the xHP maps.

Or I could do a manual conversion Actually no, the only reason these diesels are quick is because of the 8 cogs!
Appreciate 1
danb19791898.50
      02-16-2024, 01:23 PM   #69
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Must just be mine then

Back to Stage 2. I got stuck in 2 hours of traffic Wednesday night and had a few very jerky 2>3>2 moments with Stage 3. That was in 'relaxed' though so maybe the revised shift points and faster shifts didn't agree with the conditions.

I can see myself flashing back to stock at this rate as I can't seem to find anything in xHP's repertoire that suits my needs

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely brilliant on the move, but in heavy traffic it's too glitchy for my liking. Stock also gets a bit clumsy in the 5-15 mph range with 2nd and 3rd when slowing down and speeding up constantly, but it's not as harsh as the xHP maps.

Or I could do a manual conversion Actually no, the only reason these diesels are quick is because of the 8 cogs!
Plan to get an MX5 manual to satisfy that! Have you had a gearbox service? I had mine serviced preventatively as I heard a few people can get that issue
      02-16-2024, 06:11 PM   #70
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Must just be mine then

The ZF8 in my car has always had moments where it's hunted between 2nd and 3rd, pre and post the installation of XHP.

It seems to be a characteristic of the base shift map and/or mechanical components, i.e. mechatronic / clutch pack pistons / actuators / valving / etc. It's a shame that XHP doesn't sure this.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 03:16 AM   #71
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post
Plan to get an MX5 manual to satisfy that! Have you had a gearbox service? I had mine serviced preventatively as I heard a few people can get that issue
Nice one. I've always fancied a Flyin' Miata V8 or an S2000 turbo as a last hurrah before the powers that be dump all the remaining fossil fuels into space

I have indeed. The car is on 63K and I got the gearbox service done last October, so would have been on 55ishK at that point. Zero change in shift behaviour afterwards, so I do at least know they didn't F it up or under/over fill it etc I bought the car on 38K and the shifting behaviour has never changed since, so I'm not calling any mechanical issues just yet.

It is what it is I guess and I am extremely picky as a consumer, so some of my complaints most people would never notice I forget the 8HP70 is a very old gearbox now and has it's limitations. The newer Gen 2 8HP75 in my Brother's G31 is a big improvement, but I'm not buying a 5 series for the sake of a better gearbox
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 03:20 AM   #72
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The ZF8 in my car has always had moments where it's hunted between 2nd and 3rd, pre and post the installation of XHP.

It seems to be a characteristic of the base shift map and/or mechanical components, i.e. mechatronic / clutch pack pistons / actuators / valving / etc. It's a shame that XHP doesn't sure this.
Mine too. Yeah I think there is only so much you can do with it software wise, but we do at least have manual mode as a fall back for those tricky situations.
Appreciate 1