F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Cruise Control retrofit from naked steering wheel
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
flostar3000
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i

Cruise Control retrofit from naked steering wheel

Hello guys,
i am one of the few people who are unfortunate to have a steering wheel without any multi function buttons. Not even a speed limiter with the LIM Button. Firstly, it looks kinda ugly to just have 2 plastic lids on your steering wheel and secondly, i don't profit from features like cruise control and media control.

I heard some rumors about that you would need a new steering column (blinker and wiper levers) and/or a new instrument/gauge cluster. I have the instrument cluster with just the small, rectangular LCD in the middle, but I saw vehicles that have this kind of cluster combined with cruise control.

But I did not find instructions to do this upgrade anywhere! Just people who upgrade from speed limiter to cruise control.

The question is now:
Can I just buy the multifunction steering wheel buttons, plug it into the steering wheel and code the cruise control?

My VIN ends with J282370, its a F30 MT Sedan 316i MY2012

Thanks in advance for your help.

Florian
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

I suspect you will need a new Kombi (cluster), SZL (wiper stalks) wiring inside the steering wheel and coding.

You're best off finding a cheap 6WA cluster and the SZL can pe picked up for reasonable cost on ebay.

A used steering wheel with the buttons already fitted would be best and you can re-use your existing airbag.

Coding should be easy, add 544 to VO and code Kombi, FEM & ICM.

Depending on how old the firmware is, you may need to update the whole car to a newer ilevel or the cruise control will disengage randomly.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
flostar3000
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316i

Oof that sucks, I really hoped that I just had to install the buttons and that’s it. The parts will run me about 400-500€, maybe I can sell the old parts for 100-200€ and will be off with a not so high price tag. Thanks for the competent reply anyways! It’ll probably take some time until I will do this upgrade, but would you help me source the parts etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:03 AM   #4
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
I suspect you will need a new Kombi (cluster), SZL (wiper stalks) wiring inside the steering wheel and coding.

You're best off finding a cheap 6WA cluster and the SZL can pe picked up for reasonable cost on ebay.

A used steering wheel with the buttons already fitted would be best and you can re-use your existing airbag.

Coding should be easy, add 544 to VO and code Kombi, FEM & ICM.

Depending on how old the firmware is, you may need to update the whole car to a newer ilevel or the cruise control will disengage randomly.
Talking based on facts, since I have a MF Steering wheel with DCC, and the basic kombi, he doesn't need a new cluster to retrofit the multifunction steering wheel. As for other dependencies, I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
Talking based on facts, since I have a MF Steering wheel with DCC, and the basic kombi, he doesn't need a new cluster to retrofit the multifunction steering wheel. As for other dependencies, I have no idea.
His car is more basic then yours by the looks of it - I will check ETK and be sure of the Kombi version fitted.

Last edited by Wibbles; 02-20-2021 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0