F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Question re: catted dp, CEL, and Bootmod3
GetBMWParts

07-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
Sad N26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i X-Drive

Question Question re: catted dp, CEL, and Bootmod3

I am considering upgrading to a high-flow catted downpipe. However, we all know that even a catted downpipe will throw a code and cause the Check Engine Light to come on.

I understand that Bootmod3 can be programmed to eliminate the CEL. My question is: how exactly does it eliminate the CEL? Does the Bootmod3 programming allow for accurate reading of the exhaust through the O2 sensor but change the parameters within the DME as to what are acceptable readings in the exhaust? Or does it "trick" the DME into reading cleaner exhaust gasses? Or does it allow the O2 sensor to read accurately but it just overrides the DME's attempt to go into "limp" mode? or is it none of these?

Forgive my ignorance if none of these are legitimate possibilities.
I'd appreciate some clarification on how the CEL is eliminated. Thanks!
2016 328i XDrive N26 8AT: K&N Drop-In Filter * GPlus FMIC * ER Chargepipe * DinanTronics Sport Tuner (Race +4psi) * AWE Midpipe (2nd Cat Delete) * Dinan Axleback Exhaust * Dinan Sport Springs * Megan Racing Front Strut Tower Bar * Cross-Drilled Rotors * Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads * StopTech SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
I am considering upgrading to a high-flow catted downpipe. However, we all know that even a catted downpipe will throw a code and cause the Check Engine Light to come on.

I understand that Bootmod3 can be programmed to eliminate the CEL. My question is: how exactly does it eliminate the CEL? Does the Bootmod3 programming allow for accurate reading of the exhaust through the O2 sensor but change the parameters within the DME as to what are acceptable readings in the exhaust? Or does it "trick" the DME into reading cleaner exhaust gasses? Or does it allow the O2 sensor to read accurately but it just overrides the DME's attempt to go into "limp" mode? or is it none of these?

Iirc it just turns off the monitoring. So if you were to go do a emissions test with Bootmod3 cancelling the CEL, it will not pass.
      07-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post

Iirc it just turns off the monitoring. So if you were to go do a emissions test with Bootmod3 cancelling the CEL, it will not pass.
It will pass. It does what you said "prevent the monitor from throwing a code". This is not to be confused with setting the monitor to "pass". That would be illegal.

If your state allows monitor(s) to be in the "Not Ready" but not "failed" state, then you can pass as long as your "not ready" count is below that state threshold.

For eg. Many NE states like NY and MA allow 1 monitor in the "not ready" state. If the cat is the only monitor in this state you will pass. This is assuming that they don't attach anything to the muffler and do a sniff test, or have grounds to do a visual inspection under the hood.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

I passed emissions with it in "Not Ready" state. Works quite well.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
rcaso26
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I have a 2015 328i (n26 motor) with an ER catted downpipe and bm3. I dont use the BM3 option to block the CEL and I have only had a CEL one time after pushing the car really hard. I cleared the code and it never came back. I have passed NY inspection with the catted downpipe. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0