F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What thickness Headgasket
Studio RSR

01-19-2022, 09:38 PM   #1
TriniGT
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: E30, E60 M5, E87, F20, F30

What thickness Headgasket

I am currently rebuilding my N20 engine due to water ingress.

I am sleeving the block and fitting CP standard size 84mm pistons with stock rods and bearings, no intention of modifying the power just keeping the performance stock as this is a daily driver.

My question is, I am skimming the head and decking the block and wondering with a difference of maximum 6 thou would I require anything outside of a standard headgasket, if so what thickness is recommended with this much of a difference? I already purchased the stock headgasket in anticipation of not having to do any work but it is what it is.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniGT View Post
I am currently rebuilding my N20 engine due to water ingress.

I am sleeving the block and fitting CP standard size 84mm pistons with stock rods and bearings, no intention of modifying the power just keeping the performance stock as this is a daily driver.

My question is, I am skimming the head and decking the block and wondering with a difference of maximum 6 thou would I require anything outside of a standard headgasket, if so what thickness is recommended with this much of a difference? I already purchased the stock headgasket in anticipation of not having to do any work but it is what it is.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason.
If you are shaving the head and block, depending by how much you may consider going with a slightly thicker head gasket. BMW typically has two headgaskets the 0.7mm standard one and 1.0mm (+0.3mm). I would go with the thicker option. If you already bought the standard one (0.7mm), that should also be fine. Depending on the condition of the head, you may want to pressure test and then shave.
Appreciate 1