F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding F30 LCI for Halogen to Depo
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Coding F30 LCI for Halogen to Depo

Hi All,

If you have an F30/F31 LCI (late 2015 onwards) with halogens you can upgrade to Depo or other aftermarket lights. The LCI halogens switch the DRL off with dipped beams so with Depo's this would switch the angel eyes off.

With my previous LCI F30 it was though the only way to get Depo's to work properly was to get the wiring altered to supply a feed from the sidelight to angel eye's using a couple of diode's etc and although this worked fine it could have warranty implications.

I figured out the coding required to keep the angel eyes on with dipped as they should be. It is attached to this post. I have also attached coding I found to dim the angel eyes when indicating but this is more specific to the U.K. in terms of our law's for bulb distance between LED and halogen. Coding for this is also attached.

I no longer own the car I did this coding on so can't check anything but feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hope this is of use to people who are stuck with the terrible halogens.

First image is the coding to enable the angel eyes with dipped beam, second for the dimming with indicators.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
combivan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Omg thanks for this. Dimming with indicator is nice touch.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by combivan View Post
Omg thanks for this. Dimming with indicator is nice touch.
Nice to know someone has made use of the coding mate
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
SanderF31
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F31 316D LCI

Thanks Mike, thanks to you I've changed my halogen headlights to Depo angel eyes headlights with your help on my 2016 LCI F31. Everything works perfect with the coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderF31 View Post
Thanks Mike, thanks to you I've changed my halogen headlights to Depo angel eyes headlights with your help on my 2016 LCI F31. Everything works perfect with the coding.
Happy to help Sander
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
daniele.sz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

depo headlamp version

Thank you very much Mike!
I have a F31 LCI LHD with horrible Alogen headlamps and I would like to buy some Angel Eyes headlamps.
I have one question related to your guide.
Are you referring to the PRE-2015 DEPO headlamps? Like the FLXF3031-LHD ?
Thanks in advance!
Daniele
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniele.sz View Post
Thank you very much Mike!
I have a F31 LCI LHD with horrible Alogen headlamps and I would like to buy some Angel Eyes headlamps.
I have one question related to your guide.
Are you referring to the PRE-2015 DEPO headlamps? Like the FLXF3031-LHD ?
Thanks in advance!
Daniele
Hi Daniele,

Yeah this coding will work for the lights that are for pre-lci specific, it's not the lights that are issue as such it's the way the car electrical system controls them that is different on the LCI models, this coding makes the car work the way it needs to for the angel eyes to stay on at all times rather than switch off the way LCI does for the small LED drl's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
daniele.sz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_R_F30 View Post
Hi Daniele,

Yeah this coding will work for the lights that are for pre-lci specific, it's not the lights that are issue as such it's the way the car electrical system controls them that is different on the LCI models, this coding makes the car work the way it needs to for the angel eyes to stay on at all times rather than switch off the way LCI does for the small LED drl's.
Thanks for your fast reply!
Do you mean that the connector is the same and the mechanical fixing points are the same (pre LCI and post LCI restyling) ? So... theoretically, except the dimming for small leds and the Angel Eyes off during lamp on, can be mounted as “plug and play”? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniele.sz View Post
Quote:
Hi Daniele,

Thanks for your fast reply!
Do you mean that the connector is the same and the mechanical fixing points are the same (pre LCI and post LCI restyling) ? So... theoretically, except the dimming for small leds and the Angel Eyes off during lamp on, can be mounted as "plug and play"? Thanks in advance!
Yeah the fixing points and connectors are the same although according to Sander above the LHD loom has a shorter loom that he had to pull through a bit but all connected fine. If you don't code them the angel eyes will switch off when the headlamps go on which will look a bit weird given the OEM lights just dim but the coding above replicates that behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F56

Hello, thanks for this post, I have a 2014 F30 (not LCI) with depo headlights, will this coding work ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabzer View Post
Hello, thanks for this post, I have a 2014 F30 (not LCI) with depo headlights, will this coding work ?

Thanks !
Hi Chabzer,

I assume your asking about the dimming while indicating part? I can't be certain it would work on it's own but it should do if you make sure you code all the values in the green column. Either take a note of what you've changed or restore from a backup if it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi Chabzer,

I assume your asking about the dimming while indicating part? I can't be certain it would work on it's own but it should do if you make sure you code all the values in the green column. Either take a note of what you've changed or restore from a backup if it doesn't work.
Yeah, I'm also talking about keep angel eyes on with high intensity like in DRL mode, cause with dipped headlights, they are in lower intensity.

Thanks for your answer
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabzer View Post
Quote:
Hi Chabzer,

Yeah, I'm also talking about keep angel eyes on with high intensity like in DRL mode, cause with dipped headlights, they are in lower intensity.

Thanks for your answer
What are you using to code? BimmerCode has options there to increase the brightness without doing expert coding. If you are doing it in expert mode or with esys try using the hex value 0x64 instead of the 0x32 values I've given as that is 100% or you can use 0x46 for 70% or 0x50 for 75% brightness
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What are you using to code? BimmerCode has options there to increase the brightness without doing expert coding. If you are doing it in expert mode or with esys try using the hex value 0x64 instead of the 0x32 values I've given as that is 100% or you can use 0x46 for 70% or 0x50 for 75% brightness
I'm using bimmercode yes, but I have Depo so I don't know if brightness value will work as it's just halogen lights for the system
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:37 AM   #15
sw0leymammoth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderF31 View Post
Hey Sander,

Don't mean to dig up an old thread but I've been trouble finding an answer to this. I've been working on getting my set put on my car but i find that the plug on the pre-lci lights is in a different spot than on the LCI lights. Did you happen to have an extension cable put on or did you unravel the existing cable so you could move it? Did you end up using the coding posted here?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:26 AM   #16
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Hi,

Tried it with oem adaptive xenon to dim while blink.
Did not work.

Last edited by Ibo24; 08-25-2021 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #17
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibo24 View Post
Hi,

Tried it with oem adaptive xenon to dim while blink.
Did not work.
This coding is for aftermarket lights fitted to LCI F30, it is likely that the dimming can be coded for Xenon's but the modules are different so would need to be done differently.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #18
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Still haven’t found the way..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #19
Condansinc
Registered
Rep
Drives: f31 330d Touring

Garage List
Hi Mike, Thanks for posting this information. I'm having a bit of an issue with the coding. After coding I was able to get Angel eyes with dipped/ full beams working however was unable to get the angle eyes to work on their own. E.g. when I was on auto there would be no lights on at all.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to where I might be going wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condansinc@gmail.com View Post
Hi Mike, Thanks for posting this information. I'm having a bit of an issue with the coding. After coding I was able to get Angel eyes with dipped/ full beams working however was unable to get the angle eyes to work on their own. E.g. when I was on auto there would be no lights on at all.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to where I might be going wrong?
Hi mate,

Been a while since I did this coding so can't say I'm as well versed in it as I used to be unfortunately. First thing I'd check is in the light settings in idrive to check that the drl toggle is switched on as that could be the issue of it was previously coded in.

Other than that was it just the values in the green column that you coded from the first sheet or did you also coded the values in from the second sheet?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
Condansinc
Registered
Rep
Drives: f31 330d Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Hi mate,

Been a while since I did this coding so can't say I'm as well versed in it as I used to be unfortunately. First thing I'd check is in the light settings in idrive to check that the drl toggle is switched on as that could be the issue of it was previously coded in.

Other than that was it just the values in the green column that you coded from the first sheet or did you also coded the values in from the second sheet?
Thanks for the quick reply. Okay will check the DRL toggle. Sorry its my first time coding anything to be honest haha.

Yes I just used the first sheet of codes.

In rows 10-13 there is a blank space in the green colomn. Does that mean you put 0x00? or is there something else that you need to do? For example:

Standl_V_L_dimmed is on not active (0x00)? Do i just leave that as it is or is there something else I need to put in. Sorry about this!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #22
Mike_R_F30
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condansinc@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Hi mate,

Thanks for the quick reply. Okay will check the DRL toggle. Sorry its my first time coding anything to be honest haha.

Yes I just used the first sheet of codes.

In rows 10-13 there is a blank space in the green colomn. Does that mean you put 0x00? or is there something else that you need to do? For example:

Standl_V_L_dimmed is on not active (0x00)? Do i just leave that as it is or is there something else I need to put in. Sorry about this!

Not a problem, anything that is blank in the green column leave it as the default value shown in the yellow column, I had these columns so I could check what I was coding as it took a good few attempts with various codes to find something that actually worked as it should have. If possible I would revert to the backup taken before coding and start over if you are using BimmerCode to do this and that should hopefully rule out any issues.
Appreciate 0