F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Aftermarket turbo inlet on stock turbo.
Studio RSR

07-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #177
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
A week or so ago I installed the MST inlet and then did the MPPK airbox mod (one at a time, pics below). I think the benefits of the inlet were already summed up previously, but to echo and confirm for anyone on the fence, going from stock inlet to MST v2 was a clear and tangible increase in throttle response in all driving modes. You could consider it a reduction in “turbo lag” if you want to call it that. Turbo definitely spools faster and the time from pedal input to boost is reduced. Helps in both acceleration from a dig and just leaning into throttle in higher gears. There was also a little more air ‘suction’ noise if that makes sense, even with 100% stock intake at this point.

I subsequently did the MPPK airbox mod (the proper way not just drilling holes) and that didn’t make as much of a seat-of-the-pants difference as the MST inlet, but it does feel/seem like the engine is breathing better, a little more ‘whoosh’ from the DV.

In addition to looking at the logs themselves on datazap, I did a little digging and data postprocessing for 8 logs:

3 with stock inlet, stock intake and airbox (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/t...og=0&data=4-21

3 with MST inlet, stock intake and airbox (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/3...og=0&data=4-21

2 with MST inlet, stock intake and MPPK custom airbox mod (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/2...og=0&data=4-21

I was basically looking for some evidence in the datalogs that what I was doing made a difference (essentially to support what I was feeling in the car). I know most people reported changes in WGDC (lower) and MAF (higher) after inlet install on stock turbo, but its almost impossible to see looking at the actual datalogs uploaded. So I decided to go back to basics and how I used to look at logs for my 3000gt and put them in excel. The key thing this allows is for you to plot the same parameter from different logs on the same graph with the same scale.

I think there is clear evidence that the inlet and the MPPK both decrease WGDC for the same boost level. I did not see an increase in MAF, which I assume is because I am running MHD and I am literally right at load target in the upper RPM where MAF peaks. Other people have reported increased MAF on BM3, which makes sense given that it is a boost-based tune with a boost target high enough that you don’t reach it in the mid-upper RPM range, so you still have that room to gain with the inlet if that makes sense. If you have a custom tune, I imagine you can take advantage of the inlet even more.

I haven’t yet looked at other parameters, such as boost vs time, but I did also notice in my 1-4th gear logs from a dig that I can now completely reach boost target in 2nd gear when before I wouldn’t be able to fully reach it in the short time I am in the gear.

Bottom line, the inlet makes a difference on stock turbo. It’s not a earth shattering increase in performance, but it’s definitely tangible in the car, and I personally would do it over an intake (I plan to keep stock intake with MPPK mod I have done) without hesitation.

Images below are from the MST install and the MPPK airbox mod, I did it the proper way to mimic MPPK instead of just drilling holes.
View post on imgur.com

Attached is the graph of WGDC.
I wait like a dog with baited breath for your posts - Love it.
Have you considered measuring again with the Dinan? I’d recommend an air straightener (like a grill) for the intake to help stabilize the air reading.

From your last logs, the Dinan was worth about 10whp than the current setup
Appreciate 1
sspade2467.00
      07-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #178
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
A week or so ago I installed the MST inlet and then did the MPPK airbox mod (one at a time, pics below). I think the benefits of the inlet were already summed up previously, but to echo and confirm for anyone on the fence, going from stock inlet to MST v2 was a clear and tangible increase in throttle response in all driving modes. You could consider it a reduction in “turbo lag” if you want to call it that. Turbo definitely spools faster and the time from pedal input to boost is reduced. Helps in both acceleration from a dig and just leaning into throttle in higher gears. There was also a little more air ‘suction’ noise if that makes sense, even with 100% stock intake at this point.

I subsequently did the MPPK airbox mod (the proper way not just drilling holes) and that didn’t make as much of a seat-of-the-pants difference as the MST inlet, but it does feel/seem like the engine is breathing better, a little more ‘whoosh’ from the DV.

In addition to looking at the logs themselves on datazap, I did a little digging and data postprocessing for 8 logs:

3 with stock inlet, stock intake and airbox (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/t...&data=4-21

3 with MST inlet, stock intake and airbox (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/3...&data=4-21

2 with MST inlet, stock intake and MPPK custom airbox mod (AFE pro dry s drop in): https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/2...&data=4-21

I was basically looking for some evidence in the datalogs that what I was doing made a difference (essentially to support what I was feeling in the car). I know most people reported changes in WGDC (lower) and MAF (higher) after inlet install on stock turbo, but its almost impossible to see looking at the actual datalogs uploaded. So I decided to go back to basics and how I used to look at logs for my 3000gt and put them in excel. The key thing this allows is for you to plot the same parameter from different logs on the same graph with the same scale.

I think there is clear evidence that the inlet and the MPPK both decrease WGDC for the same boost level. I did not see an increase in MAF, which I assume is because I am running MHD and I am literally right at load target in the upper RPM where MAF peaks. Other people have reported increased MAF on BM3, which makes sense given that it is a boost-based tune with a boost target high enough that you don’t reach it in the mid-upper RPM range, so you still have that room to gain with the inlet if that makes sense. If you have a custom tune, I imagine you can take advantage of the inlet even more.

I haven’t yet looked at other parameters, such as boost vs time, but I did also notice in my 1-4th gear logs from a dig that I can now completely reach boost target in 2nd gear when before I wouldn’t be able to fully reach it in the short time I am in the gear.

Bottom line, the inlet makes a difference on stock turbo. It’s not a earth shattering increase in performance, but it’s definitely tangible in the car, and I personally would do it over an intake (I plan to keep stock intake with MPPK mod I have done) without hesitation.

Images below are from the MST install and the MPPK airbox mod, I did it the proper way to mimic MPPK instead of just drilling holes.
View post on imgur.com

Attached is the graph of WGDC.
I wait like a dog with baited breath for your posts - Love it.
Have you considered measuring again with the Dinan? I’d recommend an air straightener (like a grill) for the intake to help stabilize the air reading.

From your last logs, the Dinan was worth about 10whp than the current setup
The Dinan cai was actually mine and from my logs. Dinan cai although showing 10hp gain up top, made the car feel worse and showed crazy MAF readings. Car felt sluggish and laggy compared to MPPK with BMC drop in. Not worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #179
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
The Dinan cai was actually mine and from my logs. Dinan cai although showing 10hp gain up top, made the car feel worse and showed crazy MAF readings. Car felt sluggish and laggy compared to MPPK with BMC drop in. Not worth it for me.
Ahh, I’m getting mixed up here.
But yes, I’m urging you to reconsider by using a MAF air straightener.

- I’m trying to build a more efficient intake, so I’m going to try one myself. No reason to leave potential power (especially at top end) because of a small screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #180
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I have the same cut out done to mine, but I also added a scoop behind the grille that directs more air through the factory duct. My M235i never came with that hinged box in the bottom of the intake.

Good work on the comparison, I could see the difference on my logs, I think it's a good mod to squeeze out whatever is left in the factory turbo or lower WGDC.
I know about the AFE scoop. I know some people also opt to completely remove the plastic screen on the front of the intake behind the grills. I opted for neither. The scoop seemed to cause some turbulence and affect MAF readings when we were doing a bunch of testing on ozy's different intake and inlet setups. Not saying it always does but just seemed like it there. I know it probably would help in something like a track situation where you are constantly moving but not super interested in it for just DD. I also left the screen in place because for one I already get bugs and debris in the airbox and two I dont think it's going to make a difference once you open the box more with mppk mod.

And yes, the hinge is not there on the real mppk box since it already comes with 2 openings. Its only there on the normal one incase snow blocks the normal intake behind the grills.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #181
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

- I’m trying to build a more efficient intake, so I’m going to try one myself. No reason to leave potential power (especially at top end) because of a small screen.
Yeah I find it surprising there is not one stock... even my 3000gts MAF from 1991 was the honeycomb in rhe MAF. It could work to implement that with a circular intake, although thr size and shape of the MAF housing could make a difference still. I have toyed around with the idea of a custom intake, we will see if it ever comes to fruition. Interested for your results though if you try one.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #182
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Amazing and truly apprecaite you guys going above and beyond to test each (almost) turbo inlet. When I read this thread start to end, I thought Pure's inlet would be best but thejeremyman9 and ozymandias435 test seem to say otherwise.

With that being said, I currently have a N55 with PWG, do I get the stock MST setup or Hybrid? Seems like all response in this thread has been for EWG.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #183
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Amazing and truly apprecaite you guys going above and beyond to test each (almost) turbo inlet. When I read this thread start to end, I thought Pure's inlet would be best but thejeremyman9 and ozymandias435 test seem to say otherwise.

With that being said, I currently have a N55 with PWG, do I get the stock MST setup or Hybrid? Seems like all response in this thread has been for EWG.

I did not see different MST inlet options for EWG vs PWG, and i am pretty sure the turbo housings on the inlet side are the same on EWG and PWG? Perhaps someone can confirm? You can also call Kies or XPH to confirm that question (although they will probably tell you to get the v1/stock turbo option, i would still get v2, you just need to confirm they fit in the PWG turbo).

We both got the hybrid turbo option for MST, running on stock EWG turbo. The only difference between the stock turbo option ("v1") and the hybrid turbo option ("v2") is the metal piece that goes into the turbo. The stock turbo one is just thicker and therefore smaller ID (same OD based on sliding into the turbo)... so there is no reason really to get the smaller stock turbo one as it just restricts the airflow more further upstream.

I'm sure the pure inlet works fine, and is definitely still an improvement over stock, but if you havent purchased one yet, i would go MST for all the reasons stated in previous posts.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #184
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

there's alot of attention on the turbo inlet pipe ID, however, has anyone assessed the inner diameter of all the other hoses/pipes in the intake tract from the air filter to the throttle body? for example, i notice the vrsf chargepipe decreases in diameter at the silicone coupler.
      07-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #185
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
there's alot of attention on the turbo inlet pipe ID, however, has anyone assessed the inner diameter of all the other hoses/pipes in the intake tract from the air filter to the throttle body? for example, i notice the vrsf chargepipe decreases in diameter at the silicone coupler.
That's the standard design for the CPs. The other constraint is that the IC inlet and outlet are quite small ID, so even if you were to get custom TIC and CPs, the smallest cross section would still be the IC connections. That's essentially because they are all designed to be stock replacement. The only way to get a large diameter all the way from turbo outlet (which itself is quite small) to TB would be to go custom pipes and IC. The charge pipes dont need to be huge to support power, and increasing the size/volume of the CP+IC system post turbo would increase the amount of time required to build boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:36 AM   #186
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:

Maybe you could 3D print something to slide into the intake after air box and go from there.
      07-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #187
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahx9 View Post
Maybe you could 3D print something to slide into the intake after air box and go from there.
The flow straightener is not needed on a stock intake. It has somewhat of a flow straightener already because of the way the mouth is shaped inside the airbox lid (reducing cross sectional area of flow straightens the flow and reduces turbulence).

I need a take a closer look at the Dinan intake because Ozy actually shipped me his so that i can experiment with it on my car, but there are two issues - one is that the MAF is in a circular area so does not contact the same fraction of the flow as stock, and it does not have the same intake mouth and draws air in from all directions.

I do plan to do some future testing on it, on my car, but just got my car running 100% again after BMW created some boost leaks so it might not be for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #188
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

If anyone is looking for a MST v2 turbo inlet I have a brand new one for sale if interested pm me I bought and then realized I can't use it on my new setup. It is sold now sorry.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #189
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

anyone cut the factory inlet and fit the vader piece in? that's what i'm gonna so in a week. it's only 60 bucks? it does look short, but they told me it will work with factory inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #190
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
anyone cut the factory inlet and fit the vader piece in? that's what i'm gonna so in a week. it's only 60 bucks? it does look short, but they told me it will work with factory inlet pipe.
I know ozy and a few other people ran the VRSF which is basically the same thing. However i dont think the performance benefit compares to the MST v2. I would just do it once and do it right and get the MST v2, especially because of how annoying it is to remove and install the inlet. You will probably end up breaking one of both of the mounting tabs on the stock inlet during removal or reinstall. You should also probably replace the CCV hose as preventative maintenance while you are doing it; it can also be cracked during removal and reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #191
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know ozy and a few other people ran the VRSF which is basically the same thing. However i dont think the performance benefit compares to the MST v2. I would just do it once and do it right and get the MST v2, especially because of how annoying it is to remove and install the inlet. You will probably end up breaking one of both of the mounting tabs on the stock inlet during removal or reinstall. You should also probably replace the CCV hose as preventative maintenance while you are doing it; it can also be cracked during removal and reinstall.
anyone got a part number for ccv hose? i want to stay with factory inlet pipe to stay factory looking for emissions inspection.
      09-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #192
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
anyone got a part number for ccv hose? i want to stay with factory inlet pipe to stay factory looking for emissions inspection.
This is what i ordered and used.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...se-11127599753
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #193
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is what i ordered and used.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...se-11127599753
thank you. it goes from inlet to cylinder head?
      09-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #194
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Anyone running the cts turbo intake with the upgraded inlet? Curious to see if it's more stable than the Dinan and closer to the stock air box since it has its own maf housing
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #195
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
thank you. it goes from inlet to cylinder head?
Inlet to valve cover. You can see it as soon as you remove the engine cover. Its a 4-pronged clip on the VC side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Anyone running the cts turbo intake with the upgraded inlet? Curious to see if it's more stable than the Dinan and closer to the stock air box since it has its own maf housing
The inlet should not affect the stability of the MAF readings as it is far downstream. It could of course increase the magnitude of the MAF readings if you are able to flow more air and running a boost-based tune or not meeting load targets in a load-based tune, but there was not quantitative increase in peak MAF readings for me running MHD stage 2+. There was however a decrease in WGDC as i demonstrated in my earlier post, so although i was not flowing more air at peak (because i was already flowing as much as the tune needed), i was flowing the air more easily.

The CTS should read more 'properly' based on the MAF housing design, but i would also like to see logs with CTS intake vs stock with any inlet.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #196
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Awesome I saw people with erratic readings with the Dinan intake and someone reported sluggish feeling with it on, so I was just curious how the cts looked on paper it anyone has ran it with the inlet or anything
If no one has I'll report back when I do it
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #197
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
The flow straightener looks more like restricting the inlet causing higher velocity on the speed sensor... basically putting your thumb on the end of a water hose... Just my opinion...

Best thing probably to do is attach streamers to the opening and just add fins until they flutter smooth... Just my opinion..

Last edited by FastF30; 09-10-2020 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #198
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

For those that bought the MST turbo I let, did you guys get the stock or hybrid adapter? I have an F30 N55 wit PWG, stock turbo.

Honestly, what is the difference? Ones for stock and one is for aftermarket turbos?
Appreciate 0