F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What to inspect on new purchase?
Studio RSR

02-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
splashy
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Good morning, first time poster here!

I am looking at getting a 2017 n26 320i xdrive with 32k miles. The car fax shows all service work(oil changes) done at BMW ~8k miles. the last record was ~25k so an oil change would be the first thing I do.

Anyway, my question is, what should I be paying attention to during test driving and inspection?

Also, what common failure prone items should I look into doing preventative maintenance on?

Im trying to research on the forums as much as I can, and trying to remember what thread said what.

I did see the "mickey mouse" coolant flange is a common item that should be replaced, so I would be doing that.

Also I have read about the transfer case guibo that has had issues. Was that replaced with the rubber guibo on MY2017, or is that something I will need to do as well?

So is there anything else that I am missing and should have done?

A little background on me, I am an apprentice auto tech and most of my experience is on Honda, I worked at a Honda dealer for 2 years and am now at an independant shop. We dont get german cars too often here, This would be my first BMW.

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
The answer is to look at EVERYTHING you can.

Under the hood look for hose and belt conditions, signs of leaks, aftermarket mods/parts, rust/corrosion that should be here. Listen to the engine for any sounds which shouldn't be there.

Outside, I look closely at paint condition and see if there are signs of a respray. I'll also look at the alighment of all the body pannels and trim pieces to see if anything is not right. Make sure all the lights are working properly. Look at the wheels for signs of damage and the condition of the tires as well as checking the size of the tires.

Inside I'll do the same check on alignment and I'll touch/push on EVERYTHING to see if anything is loose. If there is a button or latch, try ALL of them to make sure it works properly whether mechanical or electrical. Try out every feature and function to the best of your ability.
      02-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

splashy, this is an almost welcome to F30 community.

As Desertnate mentioned, literally look at everything, especially any evidence of accident damage - this particular part is not BMW specific.

Is the car being sold by a BMW dealer as a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) or another dealer?

Do you have an opportunity to put the car on a lift and examine it for leaks from the bottom?

Few initial suggestions:

- Try to obtain all maintenance records from BMW
- Examine tire wear as uneven wear can indicate early suspension problems
- Retrieve all stores codes

Keep us updated!
Appreciate 1
splashy27.50
      02-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Even with it's low mileage I'd strongly recommend you pay an independent BMW or Euro car shop to perform a pre purchase inspection- that expense is money in the bank when buying a used BMW.

If it's a Dealer CPO car then above not necessary.

goog luck /Bill
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      02-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
PeakyJ
Enthusiast
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Even with it's low mileage I'd strongly recommend you pay an independent BMW or Euro car shop to perform a pre purchase inspection- that expebse is money in the bank when buying a used BMW.
Completely agree with the above^
Appreciate 1
splashy27.50
      02-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyJ View Post
Completely agree with the above^
Agreed and I'd add that an indy inspection makes sense even if it is from a dealer and/or CPO'd. After both of my previous CPO purchases, I took it to my indy for regular maintenance and both times they found some thing that the CPO inspection/checklist had missed. Nothing major but still, caveat emptor.
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 2
splashy27.50
Wgosma806.00
      02-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
splashy
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
splashy, this is an almost welcome to F30 community.

As Desertnate mentioned, literally look at everything, especially any evidence of accident damage - this particular part is not BMW specific.

Is the car being sold by a BMW dealer as a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) or another dealer?

Do you have an opportunity to put the car on a lift and examine it for leaks from the bottom?

Few initial suggestions:

- Try to obtain all maintenance records from BMW
- Examine tire wear as uneven wear can indicate early suspension problems
- Retrieve all stores codes

Keep us updated!
Thanks for the welcome,

So the car is not CPO.

Since I work at a garage I have the luxury of a lift, so I will be lifiting the car and will take off all the plastic covers and have a look underneath.

My biggest thing is, I want to know what to expect as far as common failure prone items.

I have read about the "mickey mouse" coolant flange and plan to tackle that.(is that still an issue on MY2017?)

I also read about the transfer case issues (since it is an xdrive) however I cant remember if I read that MY2017 has the updated rubber guibo or not, I need to find the recall and re-read it.

I am not too worried about having to do a valve cover in the future. As I have done some hondas while I was at the dealer, and Im sure I can manage.

I also know the oil filter housing is prone to leaks as well.

But am I missing any other common failure prone item that I should be aware of?

and as far as previous records go, Do i need to call the bmw dealer that was servicing the car or can I call a local one and give them the VIN?

If I call the original dealer to request records will they give me any pushback seeing as I am out of state and not the original owner?

I really appreciate all of your guys responses, and while its just a wimpy little 320 I am happy to be part of this community
Appreciate 1
PeakyJ47.00
      02-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

320i is a great car. Although there is no substitute for displacement, I know several 320i owners that confidently pass a few gas stations during a long commute.

You are in a much better position than most buyers with experience as a mechanic and access to all equipment.

Welcome!
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #9
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
My wife has a 2014 320xi. The car is being good and reliable. For 2017 the time chain issue was addressed which is a relief for you.
Along these 6.5 years we had valve cover leak, and because the car was low mileage and just over 4 years the dealer fixed under warranty.
Things I don't like are:
-Rear seat is not foldable, and I think it is very rare to find 320 with foldable rear seat in USA.
-My car doesn't have angel eyes, and it was a failure from my side while buying this car... I think all BMW should have angel eyes. Maybe yours have because it is 2017 LCI. It is an expensive change if you decide to do later... consider that if you care for this detail.
Appreciate 1
splashy27.50
      02-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
splashy
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
My wife has a 2014 320xi. The car is being good and reliable. For 2017 the time chain issue was addressed which is a relief for you.
Along these 6.5 years we had valve cover leak, and because the car was low mileage and just over 4 years the dealer fixed under warranty.
Things I don't like are:
-Rear seat is not foldable, and I think it is very rare to find 320 with foldable rear seat in USA.
-My car doesn't have angel eyes, and it was a failure from my side while buying this car... I think all BMW should have angel eyes. Maybe yours have because it is 2017 LCI. It is an expensive change if you decide to do later... consider that if you care for this detail.
The car is spec'd nicely

premium pkg, navigation, heated seats front and rear, dakota leather, rear camera and sensors, and folding rear seats

the only thing it doesnt have is the angel eyes which is something of course I want, but I couldnt find another 2017 3 series that i could reasonably afford, that checks every box.

with only 32k miles and all the options i wanted (specifically rear heated seats for the kids) I am going to have to live with the halogens, but hey, at least the drl is LED
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      02-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by splashy View Post
The car is spec'd nicely

premium pkg, navigation, heated seats front and rear, dakota leather, rear camera and sensors, and folding rear seats

the only thing it doesnt have is the angel eyes which is something of course I want, but I couldnt find another 2017 3 series that i could reasonably afford, that checks every box.

with only 32k miles and all the options i wanted (specifically rear heated seats for the kids) I am going to have to live with the halogens, but hey, at least the drl is LED
I think you found a nice package. I hope you enjoy the car. Success and good luck.
Mine doesn't have navigation, and it is another pet peeve. I'm also considering updating the 2014.
Appreciate 1
splashy27.50
      02-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #12
AK_
Rep
Drives: 17’ 320i

Just bought a 17’ 320 RWD with 20k miles today! Took mine to a local body shop to check for any previous damages (thankfully clean Carfax and zero body work). Purchased from a BMW dealer so I instilled some trust in them not to lie to me lol.

Last edited by AK_; 02-23-2021 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
splashy
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

So I picked the car up yesterday and had a look around and everything checked out.

The only "issue" that jumped out at me, is the tape on a wiring harness is ripped/torn.

I have checked the wires and do not see any damage, but am just curious as to how this could have happened...

I have 7 days to return the car so would this be a cause of concern, or should I just wrap some electrical tape and call it a day?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is how it looks on my wife's 2014 320, which had a crash on this fender and was replaced. The cables were not affected as I understand.

I'm not sure your if your cables were messed.
You could wrap that and keep going...
Do you have any warranty? A month at least?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
splashy27.50
      02-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
splashy
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Yes if i keep the car and dont return it , there is a 3 month warranty and the factory warranty is set to expire this June.

I will peel back some more tape to ensure the wires are in good condition

I have some tesa wire loom tape on order so I will re-wrap it

The car was from Jersey so some rust is to be expected and once I get to work tomorrow I will be able to have a look underneath and go from there. As long as there isnt excessive rust (which I cant see why there would be) I will be keeping it!

I will update this post with some other pictures tomorrow to get your opinion , I cant thank you enough for taking the time to take a pic of that harness!
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      02-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #16
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Could have been rodents eating the insulation, can happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #17
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashy View Post
Yes if i keep the car and dont return it , there is a 3 month warranty and the factory warranty is set to expire this June.

I will peel back some more tape to ensure the wires are in good condition

I have some tesa wire loom tape on order so I will re-wrap it

The car was from Jersey so some rust is to be expected and once I get to work tomorrow I will be able to have a look underneath and go from there. As long as there isnt excessive rust (which I cant see why there would be) I will be keeping it!

I will update this post with some other pictures tomorrow to get your opinion , I cant thank you enough for taking the time to take a pic of that harness!
Since the factory warranty still has 4 months remaining, just take detailed notes of anything out of the norm and take it to a dealer.

From an earlier note describing the options, your car is a rare gem. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 2
Pauloxxi339.00
splashy27.50