F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Extended warranty and corroding alloys
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

BMW Extended warranty and corroding alloys

Hi All

Ive got my renewal due next week for the BMW extended warranty and in two minds whether to take it or nott. The car is 4 years old so Ive had 1 year of extended.

Before my original warranty ran out I had 3 442m wheels replaced due to corrosion and one was original.

This original wheel has now started corroding all around the centre cap There isnt any damage as I always remove the centres before going to the tyre place so no screwdrivers are used.

So the question ive got is, has anyone had an alloy replaced under the extended warranty for corrosion as Im not sure if its covered?
      04-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
dave550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 640D Vert Melbourne Red

Hi, It does not matter how careful you are when removing the centre cap before having tyres fitted im afraid! its down to the tyre fitter how they place the tyre and rim on the balancer machine if there not real careful when doing this the metal threaded shaft that they put the wheel on and then tighten the locking nut causes the damage, good look with your claim though.
Appreciate 1
onstat88.50
      04-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

I believe the extended warranty doesn’t cover corrosion, but only mechanical / electrical failures
Appreciate 1
onstat88.50
      04-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Pretty sure Extended Warranty does not cover wheels. You can read the policy here and on the pages describing what's covered, wheels are not mentioned and there's a clause at the end that states "Any components not specifically listed are not covered.". I assume replacement alloys provided under the original warranty would only carry the standard replacement parts warranty. Arguably genuine BMW replacement parts (where fitted by a BMW technician) have a two year warranty from the date of fitting, but I wouldn't be surprised if a claim for wheels falls on deaf ears.

I had all my wheels (442Ms) replaced just before my new car 3 year warranty was up. 1½ years later and the replacements are already rotting. When they get bad enough I'll either replace them with non-diamond cut OEM wheels in the hopes those last longer or I'll go after market (VMR or similar).

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
onstat88.50
      04-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

thanks all. I thought that was the case but I thought Id check in case anyone else has been successful.

Its a shame the diamond cut alloys just tend to handle like swiss cheese long term

Ill probably get them re-sprayed to a solid colour when they all start going. Its just a shame that one of them is now out of longevity sync with the others!