F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Spark Plugs not changed before I purchased CPO
Studio RSR

06-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
AspireApex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Spark Plugs not changed before I purchased CPO

I just got back from the dealer after a CEL. My car currently has 57k miles so I was thinking it might be some sort of warranty repair. I get the invoice and #1 the engine is knocking due to worn spark plugs and #2 the battery has a defective cell.

The SA tells me that the spark plugs were never changed, even though I bought the car CPO at 38k. Should these have been, as it is suggested they are changed at 30k for this engine? Should the dealer I bought the car from be responsible for the repair costs since it should have been performed before the car was purchased?

Also, should the battery be replaced under warranty? It's strange that the battery would give out at 57k and wouldn't that make it defective?

Just need to know where most would stand on these two issues...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Sparks should have been done under warranty, i believe battery is not covered tho.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireApex View Post
I just got back from the dealer after a CEL. My car currently has 57k miles so I was thinking it might be some sort of warranty repair. I get the invoice and #1 the engine is knocking due to worn spark plugs and #2 the battery has a defective cell.

The SA tells me that the spark plugs were never changed, even though I bought the car CPO at 38k. Should these have been, as it is suggested they are changed at 30k for this engine? Should the dealer I bought the car from be responsible for the repair costs since it should have been performed before the car was purchased?

Also, should the battery be replaced under warranty? It's strange that the battery would give out at 57k and wouldn't that make it defective?

Just need to know where most would stand on these two issues...
I6 = No.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

This is a 320, correct? According to the Bentley manual, 320/328 models produced through February 2012 require spark plug changes every 30k miles. March of 2012 and beyond are every 60k. I’m assuming they went with a different spark plug as the manual lists that NGK SILZBR8D8S has superseded two previously used NGK spark plugs; SILZKBR8B8S, and SILZKBR8C8S. I’m assuming the newer style plug has a longer lifespan. Regardless, on my CPO 2015 328i I’m coming up on 30k miles and plan to replace the plugs. Generally speaking, I replace my spark plugs on every car I’ve owned every year (summertime so I remember). Maybe a little overkill, but they are cheap and it’s an easy preventive maintenance task.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-14-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0