F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watching Video without Media Adapter from phone
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Watching Video without Media Adapter from phone

Ok, been playing with the WIFI settings and my iPhone. Problem is while it attempts to connect to the car it never seems to connect properly. I can see the phone registered under WIFI and you can see the car scanning through the media of the phone, it can't actually play anything. Probably Apple blocking such access...

Anyways, i "borrowed" my Wife's Samsung S3 Galaxy running Android and Success straightaway!!!

I copied an episode of Big Bang Theory (Mp4) version to the S3 and installed Pixel Media Server (Free) from the play store.

I've uploaded a video from my iphone to Youtube, so sorry about the quality and shaking ... need more than 2 hands

Coding
Enable Video Support:
HU_NBT > 3003 > API_USB_VIDEO > both
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_CODEC_XVID > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_CODEC_VCD > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_VIDEO_SUPPORT > aktiv

Enable Wifi:
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_STATUS > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_MODUS > ap
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH > “incar” for low power, “outdoor” for high power
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP > aktiv

Setting up Connection & DLNA
Car
1. Settings - Connections - WIFI
2. Scroll to WIFI key and change the key to something memorable (optional)
3. Scroll to Connect new Device
4. Go to Phone (or laptop) wifi settings and add new wifi with settings currently on show in the car.
5. Once connected your phone will show under the Connected Devices / Paired Devices
6. Scroll to the phone and press the options button from iDrive
7. Ensure Music and Video is ticked. (Video wasn't enabled by default)
Phone
8. Install a DLNA App on the phone. I used Pixel Media Server https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
9. Run the app, and choose a folder where you will copy your videos. I chose the SD Card Folder
10. Copy your media files to the folder on the phone
11. Start the DLNA server on the phone using the Play button.
Car
12. Go to Multimedia. After step 11, you will see your phone's DLNA server in the list next to the WIFI symbol
13. From here it will play the last item or show you the folder structure of your phone. Navigate to the correct folder and play your media!!!

Can't utilise the Zoom feature as found under DVD Section but fills most of the screen after a few seconds...

Haven't done a full check as to what fomats will play, but as it's DLNA most should play!
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Last edited by venkata; 03-18-2013 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Oh no. I'm going to have to do this.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Venkata,

The dvd in motion, does it have to be a proper dvd, or can it be video files burned on to a dvd?
      03-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy
Venkata,

The dvd in motion, does it have to be a proper dvd, or can it be video files burned on to a dvd?
Do you mean DVD? The DVD has to be a proper DVD not just media files on a disc. The only way as far as I know is to play media files is through the dlna method above.

DVD in motion is just the setting to play video while the car is moving...
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Do you mean DVD? The DVD has to be a proper DVD not just media files on a disc. The only way as far as I know is to play media files is through the dlna method above.

DVD in motion is just the setting to play video while the car is moving...
I may be getting my wires crossed but you know you can play video files from a USB don't you?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I may be getting my wires crossed but you know you can play video files from a USB don't you?
Ooooo, was told you can't but never actually tried! So are you saying, with movie files loaded on a USB Pen Drive i can play them???

Gonna go out and try it...

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!!!

It's playing all the media types I have. So is this due to the NBT update or did it always have this?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

NBT? You mean the latest iDrive set ups we have in the F3x? If so then I believe it's always been possible. I could only play DVDs on my 2011 E91 with Pro Media but all the F3x I've driven with Pro Media could play video off the USB. I have a rather good Skyfall BD rip on mine atm

This doesn't take away from your previous coding trickery though!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I have lots of videos on my 32gb USB stick and this was the reason I wanted to enable video in motion. Works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
NBT? You mean the latest iDrive set ups we have in the F3x? If so then I believe it's always been possible. I could only play DVDs on my 2011 E91 with Pro Media but all the F3x I've driven with Pro Media could play video off the USB. I have a rather good Skyfall BD rip on mine atm

This doesn't take away from your previous coding trickery though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I have lots of videos on my 32gb USB stick and this was the reason I wanted to enable video in motion. Works perfectly.
One of the test vids was a 720p mkv file, so would require a beefy processor. Car was playing it nicely!

Not sure i have the discipline to not watch a movie while in motion though. So my rule is to play cartoons / animated films etc for my 2 children while driving.

Now if it was only a powered usb port, i'd stick an external drive in there. lol

No wonder the Pro Media is £2k. Think BMW need to market this properly. It's effectively a PC in a car. You can go on the net, sat nav, watch movies.

Now can it make a brew?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Now can it make a brew?
Since MY2012.

Apart from the odd video that comes bundled with albums on iTunes I run huge 1080p MKVs through RipBot and take them down to 2GB MP4s. They look superb.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I never knew any of this stuff. Tbh I didnt even know it would play DVDs at all.

Can you play videos from usb on the move? Or do you still need to code?
      03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Since MY2012.

Apart from the odd video that comes bundled with albums on iTunes I run huge 1080p MKVs through RipBot and take them down to 2GB MP4s. They look superb.
I have the pro nav....I have put an mp4 video file on my USB stick and tried it in the car but it doesn't play the video....am I missing something here....would love to be able to play video for my grandson....can't beat a bit of bob the builder on the move !
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
I never knew any of this stuff. Tbh I didnt even know it would play DVDs at all.

Can you play videos from usb on the move? Or do you still need to code?
I think you need to code, doubt it will play on the move

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
I have the pro nav....I have put an mp4 video file on my USB stick and tried it in the car but it doesn't play the video....am I missing something here....would love to be able to play video for my grandson....can't beat a bit of bob the builder on the move !
I wonder if the 1st part of the coding mentioned above enables certain formats to play through the USB...

I never tried before the coding so don't know..

Try putting some music on the same USB stick to confirm there is nothing wrong with the stick...

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

I would not consider Video in Motion.
In the event that you are (innocently) involved in any serious incident this could be detected. The thought of people I share the roads with having video on while driving frightens the living daylights out of me.

It's interesting that if somebody puts a post up here saying some **** has scratched their car the messages that follows are vitriolic.
Somebody suggests video in motion and they gain plaudits.

Hope it never happens to you or anyone you know!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if the 1st part of the coding mentioned above enables certain formats to play through the USB...

I never tried before the coding so don't know..

Try putting some music on the same USB stick to confirm there is nothing wrong with the stick...
I already have plenty music with art work on the USB stick and it all plays fine....I'm somewhat confused (doesn't take much) re the "coding".....is this like jailbreaking the I drive system?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreethirtyDee View Post
I would not consider Video in Motion.
In the event that you are (innocently) involved in any serious incident this could be detected. The thought of people I share the roads with having video on while driving frightens the living daylights out of me.

It's interesting that if somebody puts a post up here saying some **** has scratched their car the messages that follows are vitriolic.
Somebody suggests video in motion and they gain plaudits.

Hope it never happens to you or anyone you know!
I only have the cartoons etc playing for the Kids. I would be too tempted to watch if i had a movie on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
I already have plenty music with art work on the USB stick and it all plays fine....I'm somewhat confused (doesn't take much) re the "coding".....is this like jailbreaking the I drive system?
No, it's changing settings normally only available to BMW. You need specific software and cables to do this... Check the Coding section of this Forum

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep

No, it's changing settings normally only available to BMW. You need specific software and cables to do this... Check the Coding section of this Forum[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.....a lot clearer now but doubt I'll be messing about with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

I also have no intention of ever watching anything whilst driving. I just wanted to disable the need to put the car in park and put hard brake on to watch something if I was stationary in traffic. If the ASS has kicked in the car won't restart automatically once it goes in park so it takes a while to get going again.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Does video in motion unlock the ability to read the manual, etc? all the other functions that stop when in motion.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

I don't think so. I've tried using the Internet and that still locks out.
Appreciate 0