F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) vs Pilot Super Sport
GetBMWParts

07-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) vs Pilot Super Sport

I've been going on about replacing my Crashy RFTs for a while now, sorry 😕

Decision time:
I have a choice between the Michelin PS4s and Pilot super sports both on 19's
1. Whats the difference?
2. Which is newer?
3. Which will be more comfortable on passive m sport suspension?

Or should I just stick to pirelli go flats?
Super sports are coming up a tad more expensive than the PS4s for some reason
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

To keep it simple, replace the Pirelli's.

PS4 is the newer version of PSS.

Both rides will be similar.

They are rated top tire for a reason, tons of grip in dry and wet conditions.

Be aware that this is a max SUMMER performance tire. If you exceed temperatures below a constant 40 degrees fahrenheit do not run these tires as they will degrade!!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) vs Pilot Super Sport

I just got a set of PS4Ss to replace a set of mismatched PSSs and Contisport Contact 5Ps (they were stock tires on the set of 437Ms I got...mismatched because they came off different F8Xs. Seller wanted a square setup on his F80, so he bought a whole set and only used the rear 19x10s and I picked up a square set of front 19x9s off him.)

In any case, Super Sports are older, replaced by the 4Ss. My guess is Michelin is phasing them out, but because they are spec'd OE on some cars, they have to keep making them. The price should be similar, meaning: pretty freakin expensive, but I don't think performance-minded drivers should cheap out on tires. They're the only point of contact between the car and the road. Acceleration, braking, ride, and handling are all directly affected by the tires.

That said, after driving on them for about a week, they're fantastic. Never had runflats on my car, but the difference between worn down, mismatched, oversized tires is noticeable. My car used to tramline a lot, now it doesn't (which may also be attributed to the fact that I went down from 255s to 245s). The ride quality is better, and though I haven't done any highly spirited driving yet, the grip on on-ramps is great. I have zero complaints.

A note on the previous comment about temperatures. Anything below 45F is not recommended, but I thought it was purely about grip levels. Didn't know it affected the wear on the tire. The compound gets too stiff, I would think that would actually have the opposite affect since super soft and sticky tires have ridiculously low tread life. Btw, the Michelin's also have a better treadwear rating them some other tires in this class, and they have a warranty. I'm fairly certain Pirelli does not.
      07-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisma View Post
I've been going on about replacing my Crashy RFTs for a while now, sorry 😕

Decision time:
I have a choice between the Michelin PS4s and Pilot super sports both on 19's
1. Whats the difference?
2. Which is newer?
3. Which will be more comfortable on passive m sport suspension?

Or should I just stick to pirelli go flats?
Super sports are coming up a tad more expensive than the PS4s for some reason
I ditched my runflats for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S about four months ago. The 4S are the newest and widely considered to be the #1 summer tire. The first time I drove them they made the runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels. The Michelins grip the road. Go into a fast on-ramp and the car feels like an open wheel F1 car. As you bend into the turn you can feel the outer sidewall actually grip the pavement. In the pouring rain they are just as amazing.

What I didn't expect is how much better the Michelins were on rough pavement. The runflats were jarring while the summer tires were soft and compliant as they went right over potholes without rattling my teeth.

My old runflats will be my new winter tires when the air temperature gets down to 40 degrees F. I don't need a set of winter wheels. My tire place only charges me $10/wheel to swap my winter & summer tires on my wheels

Make the most of a tire change by also considering a tire size change. Not sure what car or wheels you have. My stock tires were 225/45-18 on a square 18" x 8.0" wheels. I had four options including staying with the stock size. I went for the best handling option which was 245/40-18. It was a great decision for me!

Other choices were 235/45 which was a slight improvement and 245/45 which would have been the softest ride due to the highest sidewall. They would also fill the wheel well more to make the car appear slightly dropped.
Good luck! Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

It appears everyone thinks the PS4S is the same as a the PS4, they are two different tires. Might be a typo but it appears he is talking about the PS4 in plural.

PS4S is the new PSS. At this point you may have trouble getting spares in certain sizes as the PSS is being phased out.

PS4 is a less agressive tire, it'll wear better and have marginally better wet performance than the PS4S, the trade-off is dry grip.

I'd say spring for the PS4S but either are going to be a big improvement over the Pirellis.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      07-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #6
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
It appears everyone thinks the PS4S is the same as a the PS4, they are two different tires. Might be a typo but it appears he is talking about the PS4 in plural.

PS4S is the new PSS. At this point you may have trouble getting spares in certain sizes as the PSS is being phased out.

PS4 is a less agressive tire, it'll wear better and have marginally better wet performance than the PS4S, the trade-off is dry grip.

I'd say spring for the PS4S but either are going to be a big improvement over the Pirellis.
Loving your signature/motto btw!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I have both sets. PS4S is better in the wet. It feels softer and although Michelin says they wear better, my PS4S wear faster on track than my MPSS. I prefer MPSS on the dry and on track but prefer PS4S on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

Below is a review comparing the PS4S against the super sport. If you don’t mind sacrificing a bit of comfort and wet grip, can consider Potenza Re71R.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

OP is asking about:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4
vs
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Stop giving him/her info about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

The 4 and 4S are completely different tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

what kind of runflat are you using for your winter tires?
All season runflats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I ditched my runflats for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S about four months ago. The 4S are the newest and widely considered to be the #1 summer tire. The first time I drove them they made the runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels. The Michelins grip the road. Go into a fast on-ramp and the car feels like an open wheel F1 car. As you bend into the turn you can feel the outer sidewall actually grip the pavement. In the pouring rain they are just as amazing.

What I didn't expect is how much better the Michelins were on rough pavement. The runflats were jarring while the summer tires were soft and compliant as they went right over potholes without rattling my teeth.

My old runflats will be my new winter tires when the air temperature gets down to 40 degrees F. I don't need a set of winter wheels. My tire place only charges me $10/wheel to swap my winter & summer tires on my wheels

Make the most of a tire change by also considering a tire size change. Not sure what car or wheels you have. My stock tires were 225/45-18 on a square 18" x 8.0" wheels. I had four options including staying with the stock size. I went for the best handling option which was 245/40-18. It was a great decision for me!

Other choices were 235/45 which was a slight improvement and 245/45 which would have been the softest ride due to the highest sidewall. They would also fill the wheel well more to make the car appear slightly dropped.
Good luck! Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0