F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shudder/studder under heavy acceleration
GetBMWParts

07-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
As the title of the post states, I've experienced some studder or shudder from the car during heavy acceleration. It seems to only happen when flooring it up hills or inclines. Any ideas? No lights or codes. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter? My car is at 67k and last fuel filter was put in at 35k. I inspected the transfer case, changed the flange, fluid, and flex disc at 50k so I'm kind of assuming/hoping it's not transfer case related. Any insight, help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      07-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #2
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

May be the clutch within the transfer case. You'll want to run it in RWD only and see if the symptoms go away. There's a fuse you can pull to put it in RWD though I can't remember which -a search will get you that info.
BMW was/is doing recalls on janky TC's.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      07-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
May be the clutch within the transfer case. You'll want to run it in RWD only and see if the symptoms go away.
Good idea, I'll try it out
      07-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Does it happen at a specific rpm?
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Does it happen at a specific rpm?
It doesn't happen often enough where I've detected a pattern of any kind, other than it seems to only happen during heavy acceleration and possibly only on inclines. I just went hooning on the highway to try to replicate it and I couldn't do it. The only thing that changed from last time I drove it was that I filled the tank with gas. Could it be possible that the car was fuel starved going up hill WOT? Or is that just my optimistic thinking? I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again and when it occurs. I had a TDI Jetta back in high school and It would shake under heavy acceleration when the fuel filter was clogged so that was my first guess.
      07-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

It wouldn't be a fuel issue at all. These will immediately go into limp mode and throw codes if there is a fuel pressure deviation.

(Although I hope you didn't fill the tank with gas )

I would watch the rpm when/if it happens.

On the higher torque 328d, I've noticed that there is a very specific mid-chassis rumble at around 2500rpm, in 6th or 7th gear. This is on rwd or awd. It seems the higher mileage ones will do it. I attribute this to the driveshaft center support, but I haven't dug enough into it. It's inconsequential.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I would watch the rpm when/if it happens.

On the higher torque 328d, I've noticed that there is a very specific mid-chassis rumble at around 2500rpm, in 6th or 7th gear. This is on rwd or awd. It seems the higher mileage ones will do it. I attribute this to the driveshaft center support, but I haven't dug enough into it. It's inconsequential.
It happened again today very briefly, WOT going up a slight incline. Could not reproduce on flat area or downhill. Car was in sport mode but transmission was in automatic. As a result I was unable to see what gear I was in (it just showed D) but it must've been 5th or 6th. RPM's were between 3-4K. I was maybe going 90-100. Studder was very subtle but was there. Was using the gear kickdown under the pedal. Will play around with it more to see how to reproduce more consistently.

Things to note: I have a kerma stage 1 tune, I've coded the 2TB sport auto option, and I've coded Sport+ mode in. Not sure if any of these things are relevant but thought I should mention.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

You have literally the exact symptoms we had at 50k...transfer case fail
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
You have literally the exact symptoms we had at 50k...transfer case fail
Guess I should shut it off with xDelete and see if the symptoms are there in RWD.

Assuming it is the xfer case, what would you suggest I do? Is there a way to service it? Do I wait for it to fail and see if dealer will replace?
      07-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #10
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Guess I should shut it off with xDelete and see if the symptoms are there in RWD.

Assuming it is the xfer case, what would you suggest I do? Is there a way to service it? Do I wait for it to fail and see if dealer will replace?
If your still under warranty, those symptoms are enough for BMW to swap out the transfer case. Do a search in this forum for "transfer case". Look for "ATC 35L rebuild" and "output shaft failure...". Both are excellent threads and will point you to shredded splines on the output shaft. Otherwise it seems like finding a salvage unit or getting a new one from BMW are your only options.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #11
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post

If your still under warranty, those symptoms are enough for BMW to swap out the transfer case. Do a search in this forum for "transfer case". Look for "ATC 35L rebuild" and "output shaft failure...". Both are excellent threads and will point you to shredded splines on the output shaft. Otherwise it seems like finding a salvage unit or getting a new one from BMW are your only options.
I'm out of warranty unfortunately, otherwise I'd already have gone to bmw and had them deal with it. I saw that thread you mentioned about a year ago and changed the fluid, output flange, and flex disc. There was little to no wear on the old flange but I put a brand new one in anyway so that makes me wonder If that's the issue or like another poster above suggested, maybe the clutch inside the xfer case is the more likely the culprit. Guess the first thing I will have to do is disconnect xdrive to narrow it down.
      07-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
xcftw
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d Xdrive

I had what seems like the same stutter under heavy acceleration, especially uphill. My car had done it forever. Finally started experiencing a clunk when shifting in reverse and my local mechanic told me my guibo was completely worn out and he alerted me to the recall. Took the car to the dealership for the guibo and had them inspect the transfer case. Splines in the transfer case were so worn that the SA was shocked I was still driving it. (LOL)

Car is currently still at the dealership having the work done so no clue yet if it'll fix the issue, but I bet it will! We were already heavily suspecting tcase being the cause as my mechanic had experienced this in other xDrive cars and it went away upon switching to rwd.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      08-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcftw View Post
I had what seems like the same stutter under heavy acceleration, especially uphill. My car had done it forever. Finally started experiencing a clunk when shifting in reverse and my local mechanic told me my guibo was completely worn out and he alerted me to the recall. Took the car to the dealership for the guibo and had them inspect the transfer case. Splines in the transfer case were so worn that the SA was shocked I was still driving it. (LOL)

Car is currently still at the dealership having the work done so no clue yet if it'll fix the issue, but I bet it will! We were already heavily suspecting tcase being the cause as my mechanic had experienced this in other xDrive cars and it went away upon switching to rwd.
Good to know. I just purchased xDelete and will be testing today to see if the stutter persists.

Update: all of my symptoms seem to have gone away after putting the car in rear wheel drive. Starting to think it's the transfer case

Not sure if I should bring the car to the dealer yet though. Symptoms are pretty mild still and I have a feeling they'd state nothing is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #14
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: changed wheels and tires almost a month ago and haven't felt it once since. Is it possible that it was related to a bent wheel or uneven tread?
      06-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #15
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

Quote:
Update: changed wheels and tires almost a month ago and haven't felt it once since. Is it possible that it was related to a bent wheel or uneven tread?
Was your previous setup a staggered setup? Still could be xfer case and sounds identical to the issues I had when mine went out

Max
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonf31 View Post
Was your previous setup a staggered setup? Still could be xfer case and sounds identical to the issues I had when mine went out

Max
Oddly enough my previous set up was squared and I'm staggered now. New set up maintains a 26" diameter so there shouldn't be any issues. Just find it interesting that I haven't felt a single hiccup since swapping wheels and tires where as my symptoms could be felt on a pretty frequent basis with the old ones on. The only other thing that's changed is the weather. Could ambient temperature play a part?

In terms of xfer case maintenance, I changed the flex disc to a rubber one a while back and replaced the output flange (original showed very little wear so was thinking it could be clutch pack wear). I've also been changing the xfer case fluid every other oil change (20k) and that seems to help.
      06-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #17
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonf31 View Post

Max
Oddly enough my previous set up was squared and I'm staggered now. New set up maintains a 26" diameter so there shouldn't be any issues. Just find it interesting that I haven't felt a single hiccup since swapping wheels and tires where as my symptoms could be felt on a pretty frequent basis with the old ones on. The only other thing that's changed is the weather. Could ambient temperature play a part?

In terms of xfer case maintenance, I changed the flex disc to a rubber one a while back and replaced the output flange (original showed very little wear so was thinking it could be clutch pack wear). I've also been changing the xfer case fluid every other oil change (20k) and that seems to help.
For me it turned out to be my transfer case. The splines were rusting and worn. The entire transfer case was replaced for free under warranty. There is a bulletin on it and you can likely get it replaced free as well. I think up to 120k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #18
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
For me it turned out to be my transfer case. The splines were rusting and worn. The entire transfer case was replaced for free under warranty. There is a bulletin on it and you can likely get it replaced free as well. I think up to 120k miles
Good to know. The thing is my splines were fine when I checked and I replaced the output flange anyway, so they're even more fine now. I also don't have a single symptom at the moment so I don't think I'd have much luck replacing anything under warranty right now. If it starts happening again I'll definitely consider a trip to the dealer but as of now there's no point.
      06-22-2022, 07:11 PM   #19
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know. The thing is my splines were fine when I checked and I replaced the output flange anyway, so they're even more fine now. I also don't have a single symptom at the moment so I don't think I'd have much luck replacing anything under warranty right now. If it starts happening again I'll definitely consider a trip to the dealer but as of now there's no point.
I had no symptoms. I brought my car in for a free egr valve. All I had was egr valve code. Occasionally hesitation. Got it back with 10,000 worth of work done for free all under warranty at 100k miles. Biggest ticket item was new transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 07:19 AM   #20
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had no symptoms. I brought my car in for a free egr valve. All I had was egr valve code. Occasionally hesitation. Got it back with 10,000 worth of work done for free all under warranty at 100k miles. Biggest ticket item was new transfer case.
Last time I brought my car to the dealer (last year) they replaced the valve but I had to pay for it out of pocket. They told me only the egr cooler was covered, not the valve. My cooler passed inspection, the valve did not.