F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Wheel Alignment
ARMA SPEED

07-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Wheel Alignment

Just got back from my local KwikFit, they would first look at the car and then decide if it needed the 2 wheel (£60ish) or 4 wheel (£100) alignment - I was shown the diagnostics screen and told we needed to do the 4 wheel alignment.

good and quick service but make sure the mechanic selects the settings for the "F34 GT" - in my case they initially selected the F30!!!

I attach here pics of the before/after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The question of 2 wheel versus 4 wheel alignment is a simple one. If the car has 4 wheel independent suspension the rear wheels can be aligned, so they should be, along with the front. That probably applies to all BMW. If the car has a solid rear axle chances are there is no provision for aligning the rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Just got back from my local KwikFit, they would first look at the car and then decide if it needed the 2 wheel (£60ish) or 4 wheel (£100) alignment - I was shown the diagnostics screen and told we needed to do the 4 wheel alignment.
Just back from there again - 1 year and 8 months later the 4 wheel adjustment was £150.

EDIT August 2020: The £150 was apparently for a 2 year service. They didn't mention this to me when I paid! Only now when I asked... Going there tomorrow and they will check the wheels and make any adjustments for free.
Attached Images

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-06-2020 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Another visit today to kwikfit today. Havent driven much recently so I was surprised to see the starting points...

All green now - within 1 hour, that Hawk Eye machine is pretty cool (they have a monitor visible in the seating area).

Still £150 for a 2 year wheel alignment service, I think is very good value.
Attached Images

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-29-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
simscott
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I only get alignments and wheel balance at the dealership. There are specific procedures that need to be done like weights placed in the drivers seat that most indie shops don’t do. Dealer has laser alignment equipment and can also zero out the steering wheel so there’s no offset. BMWs are so well balanced that it only should be done by people who know the car with the right equipment. All tires need to be aligned and if they are asking if you just want 2 then they are probably not gonna do it right.

Last edited by simscott; 08-22-2021 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simscott View Post
I only get alignments and wheel balance at the dealership.... Dealer has laser alignment equipment and can also zero out the steering wheel so there’s no offset.
My local dealer didn't offer the service - I did go to them at first and they said they would take the car to a 3rd party anyway (I recall they telling me that the machine they had was only used for body repair...) That advisor suggested a couple of places locally. That was 5? years ago though, my dealer is a different franchise now, things may be different.

Quote:
There are specific procedures that need to be done like weights placed in the drivers seat that most indie shops don’t do.... BMWs are so well balanced that it only should be done by people who know the car with the right equipment.
HawkEye is meant to be a very modern system, when I did my research back then it was meant to "know" if the car needs dead weights and prompt the mechanic to add whatever is needed. Next time I visit them I will keep a closer look and ask more details.

Quote:
All tires need to be aligned and if they are asking if you just want 2 then they are probably not gonna do it right.
Yeah, I agree... I think that was just the receptionist giving me the standard bla before I agreed for anything... in principle, I understand they would check the alignment and print the preliminary report for free...
Appreciate 0