F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Key Programming Issue
GetBMWParts

01-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
adilsk
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30

Hey Everyone,

Recently bought a 2012 F30 335i from a Used Car Dealer. One of the main issues was that there was only one key provided (my car doesn't have Comfort Access). The original owner must have lost both of the originals since the key that I was provided is definitely an aftermarket key (it works so no issue there).

As part of buying the car, the dealer agreed to buy me a second key straight from BMW. They ordered it from the local BMW dealership and it was programmed to my VIN in Germany. Once I did finally get it, I tried everything to program it to my car (holding it to the steering wheel, leaving the original key far away, everything), but nothing worked.

I took it back to the BMW dealership and they couldn't get it programmed either. After weeks of back and forth and looking at my car, they've decided that the entire FEM unit needs replacing (which will cost me at least $2000) without giving me an explanation why.

Just want a second opinion from you guys. Since the working key I have is aftermarket, the only thing I can think of is the original keys were stolen and someone accidentally wiped all of the empty key slots in the FEM instead of just the two? Or maybe that the key I received was programmed to a specific slot (like slot 3) but it should've been programmed to another slot (let's say slot 4 since slot 1 and 2 were the original keys and slot 3 is the aftermarket one)? These are all just guesses and I'd love some help here. Is there a way to maybe solve this with ISTA?

*Also, the blade of the new key doesn't fit my car. I'm assuming it was a locksmith error in Germany, but could it be that they used the wrong vin?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I was in a similar situation 5 years ago. My 2012 F30 335i came with only one key. I bought one online at eEuroparts (not a BMW dealer). I programmed it myself but it took several attempts, 10 or more.

I'm surprised the new blade doesn't work. I will double check when I'm back home and report back. BTW, my car has Comfort Access.

Sorry I can't help more.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilsk View Post
the key that I was provided is definitely an aftermarket key ...they've decided that the entire FEM unit needs replacing (which will cost me at least $2000)
That makes me think that the previous owner did something to the FEM that allowed using it with the aftermarket key, which also rendered it inoperative with a real BMW key coded to the VIN. I wouldn't be surprised if said person also changed the mechanical lock to work with the blade in the aftermarket key. For now I'd live with having the one fob, and I'd store the blade separate from it. Then I'd investigate what the deal is with the aftermarket fob/key. I didn't think there were any that would work. Maybe you can find a duplicate of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep

Billfitz has a valid point. Let's assume the PO only replaced the door lock. Try to use the new blade on the glovebox, check which blade works there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #5
adilsk
Rep

Billfitz Fredo

Hey guys, thanks for those replies. So I'm pretty sure that the locks on the door weren't replaced since the aftermarket key blade works with the glovebox lock as well (the new BMW key doesn't work on the locks nor the glovebox).

I'm thinking it might just be some sort of FEM issue but I'd just like to understand the exact cause of the problem before having to pay that $2000.

If it helps at all, I've attached a picture which shows the list of keys currently programmed to the car. There's only the one aftermarket one in position one and I can't tell whether or not the other 19 have been disabled or something. I was under the impression that the FEM needs replacing when all the slots have been used. But yeah, not 100% sure
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #6
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep

Wait a second. We know the blade on your new key doesn’t work with your car. Is it possible you received a key for a different VIN ? Mine came in this plastic bag which has the part # and my VIN.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jc62b32.00
      01-17-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
adilsk
Rep

Mine came in a very similar bag with my VIN number and the BMW logo and address where it was made. I don't have that bag anymore but I'm 100% it was definitely my VIN on it. I honestly think it was just a cutting error because the shape of the key that doesn't work is extremely similar to my aftermarket key that works. It's just very slightly off and I'm pretty sure that can be fixed by just making the cut slightly deeper. But yeah, the VIN on the key was the exact same as my car which just makes it even more frustrating that it doesn't work with my car
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. BTW, I verified the blade on my new key opens the glovebox.
Appreciate 0