F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
Extreme Powerhouse

08-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #815
brichi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I have the 7.1 unit for about 2 weeks, fortunately its working good but Waze just auto updated like a day or 2 ago and now its so slow and jumpy. I should've kept auto update off, watch out for the new Waze
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #816
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I have the GPS splitter on mine, but I don’t use the gps on the android side- just use Apple maps via CarPlay. So I’m gonna disconnect and see if that solves the no signal issue for me
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #817
Bobbyjee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
How do you connect the BMW cable to the Android unit? it is way to short...
Did you use the splitter to connect it without connecting the Idrive (thus leaving a loose connection?)
If I understand you correctly, you nog have the factory GPS on the android unit. Why does it take 30sec to get a loc? I will probably try it as well but perhaps putting a relais in the gps splitter that is switched on after pressing the start button to forward the GPS signal is also a possibility to keep using the original GPS. Any issues on GPS with the ugode rec on the Idrive?
Thanks for the feedback dude, really appreciated!!
For my info, if this is the real issue, none of you guys having the ugode GPS receiver should have the no signal issue at startup. possibly only after a short drive in the sun that the unit is overheated but not the way Bobbyjee and myself describe with a pause after unlocking the car.
If I knew what I know now, I would have just purchased an extention for the GPS lead. All I needed was an extention to get it to reach the android screen.
Yes, I'm using the splitter, with one end connected to the shark fin gps that originally went into the BM navigation, then 1 split in the android screen and the other to nothing.

The GPS reciever that came with the android screen is connected to the BM nav unit. I've placed the reciever inside the dash, just on top of the glove box (there's a gap). Please note, mine is a 2015 F10

The 30 seconds is just the android unit powering up and settling (like a phone does).

Last edited by Bobbyjee; 08-19-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #818
fontiablanco
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

My car is also an F10 of the year 2011 and I have connected the GPS with the divider. I'm having some problems with no signal, I'll try to remove the divider and see what happens.
I had another screen that I returned due to the problem of no signal and it was connected to the antenna that the seller sent me with the screen, it did not have a splitter but the problem came out ....
I'm going to try this new one without splitting the GPS, just like you did
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #819
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

its comming out tomorrow... cant wait to try this.
likely, the idrive isn't bothered by not having an instant lock since it uses car data like speed signals etc as well.
I had an Avin previously for a short time with a splitter and I dint have the no signal issue (as far as I know.. didnt thoroughly tested it). I know some Avin users have the issue as well.
Please send your feedback when you changed the config!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #820
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
I have never experienced the no signal issue and I'm using the ugode gps antenna.
I use ugode gps antenna and never had the no signal issue at engine startup.
Car is F30 2012 without navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #821
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

So I unplugged the gps from the android unit...unlocked door, opened trunk, waited a minute or so, and it started up no problem. Did it again when I went grocery shopping, booted up fine again- this previously would’ve caused a no signal issue for me, looks like this has solved it!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #822
uris
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjee View Post
I've been following this thread for a while now for a 7.1.1 unit I fitted on the F10.

Had an issue similar to previous users with a no signal error on startup so wanted to share my experience.
My problem turned out to be the GPS splitter.

The GPS rec that came with the android unit wasn't giving me good enough signal therefore decided to purchase a splitter to use the GPS rec from my F10 shark fin as my car has the idrive navigation (the car came with a a standard 6.5 inch system). I wanted to have the option of using the GPS on idrive and the android screen.
After fitting the GPS splitter...
Day 1 everything worked fine.
Day 2, unlocked the doors, got kids in the car, turned on the car and I got an error. Switched off engine, waited a few minutes, switched on... Error.
Later that day got to the car, fired it up, and there error had gone.
Day 3, got kids in the car, turned the engine and I got the error again.

Decided to revert back to the normal gps rec that came with the android unit to see if it was the GPS splitter. The issue was fixed.
Turns out when you unlock the doors on the car, idrive (navigation unit) has started doing its work. If you go straight into the drivers seat, and fire up the engine the android screen works fine. If you unlock doors wait a min, then fire up the engine, I'd get a no signal error.

Now that I knew the GPS splitter was the culprit, I went to tackle this.

I used the GPS receiver on the car and wired this up direct to android unit, without connecting to the BMW system. tested and all worked well.
The problem now was my idrive BMW navigation didn't have a GPS rec so I decided to use the one that came with the android system and wired this up to the BMW system. Seemed to work flawlessly.

Been a week now. Haven't had any no signal issues. The GPS on the idrive is as responsive as it has ever been. The GPS on the android takes around 30 seconds on startup but perfect after that.

Hope my post help anyone else having similar issues

This is 100% true
I came to the same conclusion
There is a fault in the champ 2 controller, short to ground
Android GPS Out 3,3V
BMW GPS out 5v

I connected the original gps bmw under android
Chinese GPS under the original BMW navigation

Everything is working for now

I wanted to buy now

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #823
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
its comming out tomorrow... cant wait to try this.
likely, the idrive isn't bothered by not having an instant lock since it uses car data like speed signals etc as well.
I had an Avin previously for a short time with a splitter and I dint have the no signal issue (as far as I know.. didnt thoroughly tested it). I know some Avin users have the issue as well.
Please send your feedback when you changed the config!!
Whats coming out tomorrow?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #824
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

My gps splitter
I need to test this!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #825
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
My gps splitter
I need to test this!
Quote:
My gps splitter
I need to test this!
Ahhh... gotcha. Sorry to say but I have only had the no signal once since purchase. I am using the splitter sold by Avin and both IDrive and android work fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #826
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Ahhh... gotcha. Sorry to say but I have only had the no signal once since purchase. I am using the splitter sold by Avin and both IDrive and android work fine.
Really think they are the same (its not rocket science) but Ill try pulling the thing out and see what happens

Its only the 23497696 time I pull the dash...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:51 AM   #827
Bobbyjee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Really think they are the same (its not rocket science) but Ill try pulling the thing out and see what happens

Its only the 23497696 time I pull the dash...

Same amount of times I pulled my dash out too.
The torx screw bit was the least used tool in my tool kit until I got the BM. Now it's at the top, sitting in the most accessible point.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #828
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Has somebody send this to Louie? This morning he suddenly asked if I use the Ugode antenna since THEY found that a splitter could be the issue....
Really dont think it was them
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #829
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Louie asked me about GPS cable, too.

His engineer confirms that the output voltage of Android GPS and BMW GPS is different and is causing the 'no signal' issue. Right now there is no (hardware) solution for this problem, they recommend to use the Ugode GPS antenna.

Google Maps
His engineer is outside of china at the moment and tries to reproduce and fix the GM issue. (In china GM is not available)
Quote:
#4 (All) Poor performance for Google Maps; lags and app crash.
He needs a video showing GM lagging / issues until tmr.
Who can upload a video?

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:27 AM   #830
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Louie asked me about GPS cable, too.

His engineer confirms that the output voltage of Android GPS and BMW GPS is different and is causing the 'no signal' issue. Right now there is no (hardware) solution for this problem, they recommend to use the Ugode GPS antenna.

Google Maps
His engineer is outside of china at the moment and tries to fix the GM issue. (In china GM is not available)

He needs a video showing GM lagging / issues until tmr.
Who can upload a video?

Thanks

Uploading doesnt work. You need to send it, preverably via myairbridge (the site they use as well).
They dont have google there, also no youtube...

But if the output voltage is different, why can they both be used? Just not at the same time (using a splitter)....?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #831
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

I think Youtube should work over VPN for them since they have an own Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM5...1_6QNqJG31ry6Q
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #832
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

let me just add that my no signal issues happens after I've installed gps splitter too!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #833
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

True, however i think its even illegal (enforced by the gouvernment) to have vpn software installed....
Just upload it via their site... it works
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #834
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Ok, who can capture and upload a video via myairbridge?

The day after tmr their engineer will return to china...and can't test GM anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #835
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Ok, who can capture and upload a video via myairbridge?

The day after tmr their engineer will return to china...and can't test GM anymore.
Ill see what I can do but basically its a crashing app for me... many times its not going sluggish, it basically doesnt work at all....
Ill see what I can do and post it here as well
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #836
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ill see what I can do but basically its a crashing app for me... many times its not going sluggish, it basically doesnt work at all....
Ill see what I can do and post it here as well
Thanks for your effort!
Appreciate 0