F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Anyone know where the comfort access system is located?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Anyone know where the comfort access system is located?

Hey yall:

Shocker.. the dealership didn't give me accurate information. Call me surprised.

So my comfort access system is a little flakey at times and seems sensor related. Randomly it works perfectly, door opens, locks, unlocks, car starts etc with no issues. Random time later, it will complain it cant see my key, touching the door handle to lock or unlock doesn't work etc.

Seems like a bad sensor, so I bought the part and went to replace it today.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/65209220832/

I was TOLD it is in the drivers door, but couldn't find it after going through the whole door, pulling the vapor barrier, etc.

My next guess is that it is in the steering column since you are supposed to hold your key up to that marked spot if its not being seen well? The sensor is about the size of a pack of Wrigleys gum, but no clue now of where it might be.

Anyone replaced yours before and or know where it is?

Thanks!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post

Anyone replaced yours before and or know where it is?
Diagram is misleading for the unit your purchased.

In F32, front center console (close to gear shift), rear center console (near vents) and in rear of car.

Exterior is under door behind side skirt and in rear.

I doubt what you have purchased is your issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 02-17-2018 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It makes sense that there are two different antenna systems. Inside the car there would have to be a number of antennae with very low sensitivity, as that's the only arrangement that would allow the system to detect that the fob is inside the car to allow starting it, and not outside close by the car. The second system would be long range, to communicate with the fob outside the car at a distance. Logic dictates that if neither system is working that the fault probably lies with the fob. Does this happen with both your fobs, or only one?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It makes sense that there are two different antenna systems. Inside the car there would have to be a number of antennae with very low sensitivity, as that's the only arrangement that would allow the system to detect that the fob is inside the car to allow starting it, and not outside close by the car. The second system would be long range, to communicate with the fob outside the car at a distance. Logic dictates that if neither system is working that the fault probably lies with the fob. Does this happen with both your fobs, or only one?
Happens with both, though granted I haven't tested the second one in more than 6th months. Swapping fobs was one of the first things I did, then new batteries, then like 3 trips to the dealership for it prior to warranty expiring.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Diagram is misleading for the unit your purchased.

In F32, front center console (close to gear shift), rear center console (near vents) and in rear of car.

Exterior is under door behind side skirt and in rear.

I doubt what you have purchased is your issue.
Yeah.. I am more than a little pissed at the dealership now, when I actually thought they were great. They said and quoting as close as I can "the sensor in the door is the problem, and looks damaged but due to what appears to be "custom speakers" we cant cover that under warranty". Well that makes sense.. *IF* the sensor was IN the door, AND if there were "custom speakers". Now that I have taken the door card off, its clear there was no damage, change, and still stock speakers... and no @#$@#$@ sensor in the "door".

Its probably good I wont be back there again any time soon.

I appreciate the additional info and it looks like I have the interior antenna for sure, and if I found the front one could swap it out but now who knows if it is actually the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This shows where the side antenna is:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ilter/JywIW4Qo

It's not even in the door, so your dealer is AFU.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
FKI
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30

Hi, did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having a similar issue in my F30 when I try to start the engine. When the key is in my pocket and I press the Start / Stop button, it trouble detecting the key. However, if the key is in another part of the car (such as the passenger area) it has no issue starting. I believe that the problem is with the front left interior antenna, but I have no idea how to access it.
Appreciate 0