F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Taking Apart a Bilstein Strut to Change Bump Stops
proTUNING Freaks

02-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Taking Apart a Bilstein Strut to Change Bump Stops

Quote:
Index:
0:00 Bilstein strut overview
0:25 Strut disassembly
1:13 Bump stop removal
1:42 Strut reassembly
We know that changing bump stops, to ether shorter ones or different hardnesses, is one way to tune your suspension and can have a large impact on ride quality. With Bilstein's "inverted" front struts this is more difficult since it requires removing the damper cartridge from the strut body. If you've ever wondered how to do that though, and what the bump stops look like check out the video above.

In this video I originally was using some H&R bump stops in my B6-based dampers, but wanted to go to a softer compound and a bit shorter to give my damper more travel before engaging the bump stop. Also, since I went up in spring rate since the last iteration, I didn't need quite as stiff of a bump stop. I ended up buying the bump stops that are included in the xDrive B14 struts (E4AP2Z118A00), and then cut them down to my desired length. Since they're made of foam, you need to use a serrated blade to cut them.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 02-05-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 5
      02-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Though I will probably never ever need to do this, myself thank you so much for sharing this with us. And if I ever did... now I know where to look for guidance!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Ooh, I didn't realize they ran inverted struts on these. Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Hi,

These are the images of my B8s coupled with Eibach springs and you can see where I marked the strut to check for travel.

Unfortunately they do use the whole length of travel which isnt good I suppose for the longevity of the shocks.

So Im looking to replace the original soft B8 bump stops.

Do you know would and M3 or similar bump stop fit??

Thanks

These are the photos I took at the start before testing. After a few hundred of KMs the marks are gone almost to the very top!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Hi,

These are the images of my B8s coupled with Eibach springs and you can see where I marked the strut to check for travel.

Unfortunately they do use the whole length of travel which isnt good I suppose for the longevity of the shocks.

Thanks

These are the photos I took at the start before testing. After a few hundred of KMs the marks are gone almost to the very top!
You need an internal bump stop for bilsteins. They have different PNs available online so you'll have to look around for something that fits your application.

That said, it looks like you still have the top 2cm of travel available on your struts so I don't think you're bottoming out the damper yet. Do you hear a clunking noise when hitting large bumps? That's what mine sounded like when hitting even modest bumps.
      05-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Hi,

Thanks

You need an internal bump stop for bilsteins. They have different PNs available online so you'll have to look around for something that fits your application.

That said, it looks like you still have the top 2cm of travel available on your struts so I don't think you're bottoming out the damper yet. Do you hear a clunking noise when hitting large bumps? That's what mine sounded like when hitting even modest bumps.
I dont hear clunks but the marks I had in the strut are now gone which is a sign off the full strut compression.

I will look into B14 bump stops or make custom ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
Juny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 230i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post

What I need. Need to change the internal bump stop for others more shorter?? I’m hearing this noise when large bumps. Maybe need a bit more travel. Don’t know.
Appreciate 0