F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Indy Brake Pricing Input
GetBMWParts

05-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Indy Brake Pricing Input

I reached out a an Indy specializing in BMW in my area.

They gave me the following quote for just the front brakes:

This pricing is honestly no different from what my local dealership told me, which they estimated rougly ~$1100 pre-tax.

When I asked for the quote, all did was give the Indy my vin, and this was the description generated:

2016 BMW 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Base L6
3.0L 2979CC

Is this model really that unique that it constitutes such a high brake maintenance cost?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
That's a complete rip off. Contact r1concepts for a forum discount on all parts then shop around for best labor prices if you don't want to do it yourself.

I just got new pads and rotors for all four wheels, and paid less than $400 for the parts. I did the work myself, so no labor costs.

05-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
klasjdh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
That's a complete rip off. Contact r1concepts for a forum discount on all parts then shop around for best labor prices if you don't want to do it yourself.

I just got new pads and rotors for all four wheels, and paid less than $400 for the parts. I did the work myself, so no labor costs.
Thanks! I will look into it!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Look like euro tax rate strike again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post

Wow thats pretty good for all four were they OEM pads, rotors, sensors or after market?

OP for the front Rotors, Pads, and Brake Sensor I paid $674.74 in parts and 189.83 in labor (I have the M-Sport Brake System "Blue Calipers") compliments of ECS Tuning for the parts and "European Auto" for the work.

*unrelated but everything got changed to get rid of the infamous "Msport Brake Squeal" which didn't solve it..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
klasjdh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Wow thats pretty good for all four were they OEM pads, rotors, sensors or after market?

OP for the front Rotors, Pads, and Brake Sensor I paid $674.74 in parts and 189.83 in labor (I have the M-Sport Brake System "Blue Calipers") compliments of ECS Tuning for the parts and "European Auto" for the work.

*unrelated but everything got changed to get rid of the infamous "Msport Brake Squeal" which didn't solve it..
Hey thank you for your input!

Just a quick followup question - Did you buy the parts from ECS Tuning yourself and then bring the parts to "European Auto" for the installation/labor?

Would it be okay I PM'd for some additional help/questions?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasjdh View Post
Hey thank you for your input!

Just a quick followup question - Did you buy the parts from ECS Tuning yourself and then bring the parts to "European Auto" for the installation/labor?

Would it be okay I PM'd for some additional help/questions?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Correct I bought them off of ECS (great vendor btw), Most Indy shops will install the parts you supply them. feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I reached out a an Indy specializing in BMW in my area.

They gave me the following quote for just the front brakes:

This pricing is honestly no different from what my local dealership told me, which they estimated rougly ~$1100 pre-tax.

When I asked for the quote, all did was give the Indy my vin, and this was the description generated:

2016 BMW 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Base L6
3.0L 2979CC

Is this model really that unique that it constitutes such a high brake maintenance cost?

Thanks.
Everything on that quote was high and you aren't even being told what brands of parts are being used. Is it BMW factory parts, which are only average. Do you have grey front calipers which are 340mm rotors? Or Blue front calipers which are 370mm rotors? They take exactly the same front pad.

Hawk 5.0 are the best street pads. Far superior to stock pads. Best bite, instant warm up and light dust that washes right off. See photo for part number for front pads that fit 340mm/370mm rotors.

Zimmermann make the best German replacement rotors. Very high quality and lower price than BMW. Plus they are zinc coated against rust.

Replacement part numbers from Zimmermann for plain front rotors-

340mm 150.2903.32

370mm 150.2911.32

Don't let anyone talk you into slotted rotors. They are noisy and offer little improvement. Cross-drilled offer real improvement but cost more. Contact me if you need part number advice on crossdrilled.

ECS is a big volume conglomerate now. They also own Turner, Pelican and others. Their support knowledge is weak and their prices vary so you can be paying a high price and not realize. I wouldn't use them.

With parts and fluids that wear you are better off purchasing from FCP Euro, even if they are a couple dollars more. They warranty all parts for life so next time you buy rotors and pads and ship back old parts for full credit. Best warranty ever!

A reasonable labor price from an Indy mechanic is $100 per corner including brake fluid, bleeding, etc. Those nickel and dime extra shop costs are money makers. Have them replace all brake fluid at the same time so bleed all four corners. Important to do so every 2 years for safety.

You can find other local BMW Independents on BimmerShops website

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I bought parts from rockauto.

i think kies motorsports made a video on brake changes if you need pointers.

the bmw brakes are pretty simple. i can replace the rotors and pads quicker than on my other cars.

My dealer wanted $700 to do rear pads and rotors. I bought the parts and did it myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I love that they highlighted the discount in Red.... like for real you are getting a discount
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
klasjdh
Private
Rep

Hi everyone,

I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

The price I got quoted from this indy, was from one of bimmershops.com for my local area in MA. I will try calling the other shops soon when I have time.

This shop has a quoted labor of $107 / hr, the other I have found also on bimmershops.com listed $114/hr on their website (Also has slightly more reviews/better raitings). I will see - it's hard because I am in this transition step of beginning to start my new professional career, owning a car, a house, etc so it has all been quite overwhelming for me to handle.

I will send pm's to individual's when I get a chance.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Everything on that quote was high and you aren't even being told what brands of parts are being used. Is it BMW factory parts, which are only average. Do you have grey front calipers which are 340mm rotors? Or Blue front calipers which are 370mm rotors? They take exactly the same front pad.

Hawk 5.0 are the best street pads. Far superior to stock pads. Best bite, instant warm up and light dust that washes right off. See photo for part number for front pads that fit 340mm/370mm rotors.

Zimmermann make the best German replacement rotors. Very high quality and lower price than BMW. Plus they are zinc coated against rust.

Replacement part numbers from Zimmermann for plain front rotors-

340mm 150.2903.32

370mm 150.2911.32

Don't let anyone talk you into slotted rotors. They are noisy and offer little improvement. Cross-drilled offer real improvement but cost more. Contact me if you need part number advice on crossdrilled.

ECS is a big volume conglomerate now. They also own Turner, Pelican and others. Their support knowledge is weak and their prices vary so you can be paying a high price and not realize. I wouldn't use them.

With parts and fluids that wear you are better off purchasing from FCP Euro, even if they are a couple dollars more. They warranty all parts for life so next time you buy rotors and pads and ship back old parts for full credit. Best warranty ever!

A reasonable labor price from an Indy mechanic is $100 per corner including brake fluid, bleeding, etc. Those nickel and dime extra shop costs are money makers. Have them replace all brake fluid at the same time so bleed all four corners. Important to do so every 2 years for safety.

You can find other local BMW Independents on BimmerShops website

Hope this helps!
+1 on buying from FCP Euro, it depends on if your staying with after market or OEM, after I bought and installed my OEM Replacements (rotors, pads, sensor)

I ended up buying new pads again Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors a couple months later (due to brake dust and squealing). In terms of Braking performance you can definitely feel the difference there isn't as good of an initial bite with the Akebono pads but there is 0 brake dust and they were cheaper than OEM and still decent quality especially for street/daily driving. Hawk pads are really good to.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

The price I got quoted from this indy, was from one of bimmershops.com for my local area in MA. I will try calling the other shops soon when I have time.

This shop has a quoted labor of $107 / hr, the other I have found also on bimmershops.com listed $114/hr on their website (Also has slightly more reviews/better raitings). I will see - it's hard because I am in this transition step of beginning to start my new professional career, owning a car, a house, etc so it has all been quite overwhelming for me to handle.

I will send pm's to individual's when I get a chance.

Thanks!
Be careful about comparing the hourly rates of shops unless the are both estimating the number of hours exactly the same for the job.

What you are looking for is so common that they should all be able to tell you to the dollar what the cost will be if you supply the parts. My Indy would tell you exactly $200 + sales tax. His hourly rate is $120 but I don't care about that.

Just say that you are supplying the parts (except brake fluid) and you want the front rotors, pads and brake sensor replaced. You want the brake fluid replaced, all four lines bled and the car test driven and pads bedded in.

You should be able to get 3-4 quotes in 20 minutes over the phone. This is one of the easiest jobs that a BMW shop can get. They do them everyday.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

look at the OP post history, just saying
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
I just did and thought I remembered the name. Must be a first time car buyer.

I recently taught my 17 year old daughter how to do an oil change and brakes on her car. Earlier in the year she helped me change a wheel bearing in her car. I'm going to start teaching my 13 year old son how to do stuff too.

Last week we were dispatched to a car with a flat tire on the freeway and the dude was in his 20s and had no clue how to change a tire. I shook my head and said we're not allowed to do it for liability reasons. If you can't change it, call a tow truck or push it further off the road or we will impound it.

Sad state these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
klasjdh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am a first time car owner - what issue do you have exactly with that?

I don't understand why you have to be so negative towards me, what have I ever done to you???

If you don't have anything nice to say, why say it at all?
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      06-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #17
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am a first time car owner - what issue do you have exactly with that?

I don't understand why you have to be so negative towards me, what have I ever done to you???

If you don't have anything nice to say, why say it at all?
First issue, you pulled the race card
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...78&postcount=7

You have also made multiple post on this and have not heeded the advice from numerous posters. We have all told you how to address this and to it yourself. You can't even figure out how to drop your car off and get from their to work.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720493
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720499
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723259

You really need to sit back, learn how to use google, listen to the people here, we are good people and willing to help but only if you don't cry and pull the race card.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #18
klasjdh
Private
Rep

Quote:
First issue, you pulled the race card
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...78&postcount=7

You have also made multiple post on this and have not heeded the advice from numerous posters. We have all told you how to address this and to it yourself. You can't even figure out how to drop your car off and get from their to work.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720493
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720499
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723259

You really need to sit back, learn how to use google, listen to the people here, we are good people and willing to help but only if you don't cry and pull the race card.
I did take their advice, I reached out to the independent mechanic I showed the screen capture as proof, is that not good enough for you? I'm sorry but there are limitations to what I can and cannot do, and I cannot appease your demands and standards given in my personal circumstance and environment. I am also not sure how posting multiple topics in different forums is a crime? I was simply trying reach a broad and specific audience and inquiring about what I should do. Was it wrong of me to seek multiple opinions??? If that is the case then you are simply too inconsiderate and narrow minded.

I'm not sure why you need to go so far to be so laser focused in targeting me, I did not pull the race card on anyone, I simply mis-typed and forgot to add the word "not" during the beginning of the sentence, it was not by intention, now that I look back reading what I typed, and I can see how it can be easily misinterpreted.

Needless to say, if you have nothing to add to be of any contributional value, other than to belittle me and say I can't figure out basic things, it's because I simply did not know, and couldn't think of what to do due to my personal circumstances/situation and wanted to seek the advice of others, is that so wrong?

Please if you see my threads in the future, just either block me or ignore me, you are not doing anyone any favors singling me out to be the bad person, based on a single typo I made by pulling an alleged "race" card, as I worded it as a question of uncertainty, and not saying that they absolutely racist against me were doing so, just a feeling based on their demeanor and attitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I did take their advice, I reached out to the independent mechanic I showed the screen capture as proof, is that not good enough for you? I'm sorry but there are limitations to what I can and cannot do, and I cannot appease your demands and standards given in my personal circumstance and environment. I am also not sure how posting multiple topics in different forums is a crime? I was simply trying reach a broad and specific audience and inquiring about what I should do. Was it wrong of me to seek multiple opinions??? If that is the case then you are simply too inconsiderate and narrow minded.

I'm not sure why you need to go so far to be so laser focused in targeting me, I did not pull the race card on anyone, I simply mis-typed and forgot to add the word "not" during the beginning of the sentence, it was not by intention, now that I look back reading what I typed, and I can see how it can be easily misinterpreted.

Needless to say, if you have nothing to add to be of any contributional value, other than to belittle me and say I can't figure out basic things, it's because I simply did not know, and couldn't think of what to do due to my personal circumstances/situation and wanted to seek the advice of others, is that so wrong?

Please if you see my threads in the future, just either block me or ignore me, you are not doing anyone any favors singling me out to be the bad person, based on a single typo I made by pulling an alleged "race" card, as I worded it as a question of uncertainty, and not saying that they absolutely racist against me were doing so, just a feeling based on their demeanor and attitude.
We tried to teach you to fish, but you want us to fish for you.

While asking around is good, you did not do that, you just asked on one site, that I know of, bimmerpost.com. The members here go to different sections so you are likely to get the same answers here and the other sections.
This is also known as circular reporting.

Here are some places for you to do your own price checks on.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/
https://www.ecstuning.com/
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/

Go there, find the parts you need, see what the prices are. Labor is Labor, if you can't/wont DIY, then you will pay the shop rate. You might want to see if they will let you bring in your own parts to save money
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #20
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm an old foggy and I know that youtube has a bazillion tutorials on how to do this stuff.

Search youtube on diy stuff. You can do most of this stuff at your home with simple tools and jackstands. I have front pads, rotors and sensor wire in. I'm going to make my daughter change them since I'm giving her the car for her 18th birthday. I estimate it will take her under an hour. She's already watched several how to videos on youtube in preparation.
Appreciate 0