F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8 Mini Review
GetBMWParts

03-16-2015, 03:44 AM   #67
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Adding b8 stop from crashing. But still I think the suspension should be more firm and planted.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #68
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur
Adding b8 stop from crashing. But still I think the suspension should be more firm and planted.
Buy an M car!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #69
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Buy an M car!
everybody wants an M but for me i couldn't wait 2more years for M3, nor wanted to get e92 M3 for 100$+ from our dealership -.-
i think my F30 335i which i bought for almost 65$k in here is a better deal than 100$ M3, if i still didn't have bought a car i would take a Corvette C7 damn that thing is cool
      03-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait
Quote:
Buy an M car!
everybody wants an M but for me i couldn't wait 2more years for M3, nor wanted to get e92 M3 for 100$+ from our dealership -.-
i think my F30 335i which i bought for almost 65$k in here is a better deal than 100$ M3, if i still didn't have bought a car i would take a Corvette C7 damn that thing is cool
The C7 is nice, although I prefer the look of the C6.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #71
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Hey Sedan !
Glad to see you back.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #72
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
The C7 is nice, although I prefer the look of the C6.
^This^
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D
Hey Sedan !
Glad to see you back.
Thanks. It's nice to be back with the crew again.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #74
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Buy an M car!
M sport ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #75
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Buy an M car!
M sport ?
No! An. ///M car.....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #76
F80 M Freak
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3

Quote:
Here's a photo I took today:
They are 19s?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #77
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL_F30-M
Quote:
Here's a photo I took today:
They are 19s?
20's!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #78
Echan330
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Thought I'd add to this review. Because of reviews from this thread, I ended up having H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein B8s installed (car is still on stock 18s with Pirelli P7 run-flats). The reviews on this thread are pretty much dead on.

The suspension hasn't settle yet and does not look quite as low as photos people have posted here. Compared to stock (Canadian Sportline vehicle without sport suspension), the difference is night and day.
- The ride is now stiffly sprung and stiffly dampened.
- It has been raining the last 2 days and I have not had the chance to really throw the car around corners, but around corners (driving at regular speeds), the sensation of body roll seems to be eliminated and the car seems a lot more confidence inspiring in turns.
- The car feels as though it brakes better, perhaps due to the fact that there is also less forward and aft movement upon braking and acceleration.
- So far, rolling in traffic around 20-30 km/h, the ride seems bouncier, but is very smooth at speed.
- Over speed bumps, the vehicle settles itself quickly and is more comfortable than stock, perhaps attributed to better body control with the Bilsteins.
- The steering feel seems heftier than before and provides more road feel. (Still lighter than an e90, but feels more weighted than previous)
- As a comparison, it feels slightly stiffer than an e90 with sport suspension on stock run flats, but without the harshness over bumps and pot holes if it makes any sense.
- I have had KW V1s on my previous e90 xi and in comparison, the KWs seem to provide a smoother ride when compared to my freshly installed H&R Sport + Bilsteins.
- Will provide an update on the bounciness at low speeds in a week or so after the suspension settles.
- So far, I am quite satisfied with this set-up and to me, it feels as though the car should have come like this from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #79
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echan330 View Post
Thought I'd add to this review. Because of reviews from this thread, I ended up having H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein B8s installed (car is still on stock 18s with Pirelli P7 run-flats). The reviews on this thread are pretty much dead on.

The suspension hasn't settle yet and does not look quite as low as photos people have posted here. Compared to stock (Canadian Sportline vehicle without sport suspension), the difference is night and day.
- It has been raining the last 2 days and I have not had the chance to really throw the car around corners, but around corners (driving at regular speeds), the sensation of body roll seems to be eliminated and the car seems a lot more confidence inspiring in turns.
- The car feels as though it brakes better, perhaps due to the fact that there is also less forward and aft movement upon braking and acceleration.
- So far, rolling in traffic around 20-30 km/h, the ride seems bouncier, but is very smooth at speed.
- Over speed bumps, the vehicle settles itself quickly and is more comfortable than stock, perhaps attributed to better body control with the Bilsteins.
- The steering feel seems heftier than before and provides more road feel. (Still lighter than an e90, but feels more weighted than previous)
- As a comparison, it feels slightly stiffer than an e90 with sport suspension on stock run flats, but without the harshness over bumps and pot holes if it makes any sense.
- I have had KW V1s on my previous e90 xi and in comparison, the KWs seem to provide a smoother ride when compared to my freshly installed H&R Sport + Bilsteins.
- Will provide an update on the bounciness at low speeds in a week or so after the suspension settles.
- So far, I am quite satisfied with this set-up and to me, it feels as though the car should have come like this from the factory.
Nice review. Does it bottom out when going through big bumps or big expansion joints? That is my main concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #80
Echan330
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

So far, no bottoming out over expansion joints. I haven't really gone over any big bumps yet so I am unable to answer that part at the moment. When I do go over big bumps though, I will provide an update.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #81
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echan330 View Post

Nice review. Does it bottom out when going through big bumps or big expansion joints? That is my main concern.
No it doesn't! Worry not.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #82
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I just had my installation today and coming from the no line base suspension, I'm so pleased No diss to BMW as I'm the one who didn't buy any factory sport option when they do exist.

All I did was drive 1+hrs home and she felt very compliant and far less hesitant, almost like my input is communicated much faster. Miles better road feedback even in Eco Slow(cleaned up the steering feel more than I expected), braking felt much better, with small potholes/bumps at low speeds recovery is quick and the drive is still quite comfortable. I feel like I've been driving this car in slow motion or with a delay up until this point.
WHY have I wasted 40k+ miles without this setup? Car felt like a sumo wrestler trying to dunk before.

Thank you Sedan Clan for taking the plunge earlier and posting about it. Your information influenced my decision almost 2yrs after you.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #83
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves View Post
I just had my installation today and coming from the no line base suspension, I'm so pleased No diss to BMW as I'm the one who didn't buy any factory sport option when they do exist.

All I did was drive 1+hrs home and she felt very compliant and far less hesitant, almost like my input is communicated much faster. Miles better road feedback even in Eco Slow(cleaned up the steering feel more than I expected), braking felt much better, with small potholes/bumps at low speeds recovery is quick and the drive is still quite comfortable. I feel like I've been driving this car in slow motion or with a delay up until this point.
WHY have I wasted 40k+ miles without this setup? Car felt like a sumo wrestler trying to dunk before.

Thank you Sedan Clan for taking the plunge earlier and posting about it. Your information influenced my decision almost 2yrs after you.
Your B8 is paired with H&R Sport or the stock no line springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:16 AM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves

Anytime man! That's what these forums are for.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #85
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Overkill - Im paired with H&R sports. Perfect ride height/clearance for me but I still scraped my lip this morning while sleepily moving my car like an idiot lol. I think Supers could fit if I were running a thinner tire but it'd be too much for me personally.

For sure! This place has so much info thanks to good contributors!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #86
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves View Post
Overkill - Im paired with H&R sports. Perfect ride height/clearance for me but I still scraped my lip this morning while sleepily moving my car like an idiot lol. I think Supers could fit if I were running a thinner tire but it'd be too much for me personally.

For sure! This place has so much info thanks to good contributors!
pics pics pics
      03-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #87
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

I just had the Bilstein B8s installed 4 days ago (front struts and rear shocks). I already had the H&R Sport Springs, but the car was over-sprung and underdamped with the stock shocks & struts. H&Rs with OEM dampers caused a bouncy, bumpy ride with the front end crashing on abrupt dips and bumps. It was unpleasant and felt "cheap." With the Bilstein B8s, is now as it should be. I consider the ride a significant improvement over stock xDrive suspension. It is firm and composed over smooth road, bumps, and even the frost-heaved pavement we have here where I live. It stays flat in the corners including some spirited play in roundabouts at late night, where I pushed her hard enough in sport mode that the nanny features were kicking in. Overall it seems to be riding like a daily driver sport coupe ought to. I'm very pleased thus far - I feel like I'm back to driving a high quality new German car, with firm commanding ride, excellent handling, and much composure. Mind you, I haven't hit any (more) terrible potholes or such (yet), so the verdict is still out on how it deals with adverse conditions. Bottom line - I'm very pleased. I was concerned that if this "experiment" failed, then I would have to pay to revert back to full stock xDrive suspension. I will not be doing that. BTW, the "stance" is excellent too.
Attached Images

2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound

Last edited by LastFrontierBimmer; 03-22-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

It is absolutely awesome to see so many positive reviews. I'm glad this thread is proving beneficial to the forum.
Appreciate 0