F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Looking for advice on interchangeable track and street brake pads
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
neonal
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i xDrive

Looking for advice on interchangeable track and street brake pads

Hi,

I've recently bought a 440i xDrive GC. I live in Sweden, use the car daily for school run etc. so my street pads should have good stopping power even if it's cold (like OE pads) and they should be silent as well.

I'm planning to track the car when the season starts and from my past track experience with different cars, I know I'm heavy on brakes and I'll need different brake pads for track days.

I'm trying to find a good street and track pad duo that will allow me to just swap them before and after track without needing to re-bed them (I guess they should be made from similar compounds?). I will of course flush the brakes before track day but I really want to avoid surface cleaning the rotors and re-bed pads every time.

Any suggestions? Am I asking too much?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I use stop tech sport pads at my track, but 115 top speed. Pagid rsl29 or pfc08 would be my next step up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
neonal
Rep

Do you go back to oe pads after tracking or do you use the stoptech pads on street as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonal View Post
Do you go back to oe pads after tracking or do you use the stoptech pads on street as well?
I usually go back to stock pads simply for less noise and less dust, however I didn't change after my last track day in Oct. and it's been fine. I usually do a minor bed in going back and forth for peace of mind, but I think it would be fine if I didn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:37 AM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
I swap between OEM and PFC08 between track days. At least with the M3 there is no need to bed the brakes as the street and track compounds don't require it. PFC08 can be noisy, that's the only reason I swap them. Great stopping power with 200tw tires. If you are on street high performance 300tw MPSS and MP4S4 they are on the edge of almost being too much for the tire, it just takes a bit of getting used to. Run flats or tires with a 400 or more UTOG will struggle with these, I would not recommend them.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
AmuroRay
Intercooler guy
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I swap between OEM and PFC08 between track days. At least with the M3 there is no need to bed the brakes as the street and track compounds don't require it. PFC08 can be noisy, that's the only reason I swap them. Great stopping power with 200tw tires. If you are on street high performance 300tw MPSS and MP4S4 they are on the edge of almost being too much for the tire, it just takes a bit of getting used to. Run flats or tires with a 400 or more UTOG will struggle with these, I would not recommend them.
Good advice - how is the noise and dust? I hopefully will be staying working from home, so the car is just used for errands - I might be able to tolerate it...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
neonal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
This is really good advice, thanks!

Just for me to understand better, can we generalize pad swap procedure like this:

If your track pads require bedding, you need to clean the rotors before going back to OEM. However if the track pads don't require bedding, you can just swap back and forth?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
LRaev
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335I

You may consider also Ferodo DS2500 as an option. In my opinion they are pretty decent for track/street mixed driving. For street driving they warm quick and the bite when cold is not bad at all, also very quiet so far. My experience on track with the pads is just one track day and they held good compared with the original M Sport pads. The dust is just a little bit more.

My first track day with the F30's M Sport stock brake pads was not a pleasant experience. During session, after warming lap they held 2 fast laps and overheated /only 2,2 kilometers track/. According to the telemetry on the 1st fast lap max lateral G reached was 1.08 stopping from 180+ km/h to 70 km/h for heft hander on street tyres and traction control fully off. The 2nd fast lap max lateral G was 0.86 on the same corner due to overheated pads. On the same track with the Ferodo's I had constant braking power and no problems doing 3 consecutive fast laps /6 sessions/. After inspecting the pads after that track day, they looked OK.

Of course, if you intend to go often to track, your best option is to have dedicated pads to swap and do cleaning and bedding procedures.

Last edited by LRaev; 02-19-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
neonal
Rep

FWIW, I went for Ferodo DS performance for the street use (with Motul break fluid) and so far I'm very happy with it, though it needs some getting used to it since initial bite is 5x stronger than almost dead OE pads.

I've asked Ferodo customer support about swapping DS performance with DS2500 or DS1.11, they said that since the pad compounds are similar, they don't require re-bedding. So I'm going to use DS1.11 for track, we'll see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #10
brigade24
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonal View Post
FWIW, I went for Ferodo DS performance for the street use (with Motul break fluid) and so far I'm very happy with it, though it needs some getting used to it since initial bite is 5x stronger than almost dead OE pads.

I've asked Ferodo customer support about swapping DS performance with DS2500 or DS1.11, they said that since the pad compounds are similar, they don't require re-bedding. So I'm going to use DS1.11 for track, we'll see how it goes
interesting, i use the DS2500 for autox and i was wondering if I needed to bed-in another ferrodo pad for track.
Appreciate 0