F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F2x F3x) discussion ☚
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #4467
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
1768
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Precision, after 120 km of road, my car feels really good.
I would also like my "post catalyst" probe to be still in place, but this mechanic, who is also a motor racing professional, has been doing a search since this morning (this is why he did not answer me. 'after what he explained to me) In short, this evening by communicating to me with supporting evidence the references of BMW OEM parts and their role, he demonstrated to me that this probe is in place for only one thing = check what is happening in the catalyst, but as it is no longer there, the probe sends an error code to the DME, without any possibility of degraded mode (ON N55B30) and MHD remains able to deactivate this error!
After each start, this error will come back, and after a cycle of approximately 70 Kilometers, this error will generate a warning light on the dashboard (DTC)
MHD will still be able to erase it, but it will start again in 70 kms.
MHD asks that this probe be present, because the Dp 'Oem option searches for the 2 probes generically and for the definitive deletion of this Dtc error code, it must be "in the map".
This mechanic has contacted his encoder to enter the "Dtc OFF" in it.
He offers it to me. In addition, it gives me the guarantee that in the event of the slightest concern of what he has just explained to me (and that I am only repeating to you) on my vehicle (shaking, unstable idle, soft mode, degraded acceleration) he will intervene at his expense to restore everything.
I am reassured and well served with this guy, whom I see again Wednesday February 17, 2021 to draw a final line on this probe 11787589475 and to ride in all serenity.
The continuation soon with the installation of the Diverter Valve
Thanks again for your help and sorry for this off topic.
F20_M135i FYI, i found the post that referenced info directly from MHD. I recommend you give the first couple of posts here a read:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1734786

Here's a thread on spool street that discusses the same [remove the spaces]: https://www. s p o o l s t r e e t . com/threads/secondary-o2-sensors-tuned-still-needed.4877/

Maybe your car is different... interested to see your fuel trims.
Appreciate 1
Korvo342.50

      02-12-2021, 01:17 AM   #4468
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
57
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

My pragmatic analysis continuation and end:

The first pre-catalyst probe is used to send a data signal to the DME for a calculation necessary for the settings
The second post-catalyst probe is only used to read data from the first.
BUT: the DME waits for 2 signals to make its calculation necessary for the vehicle settings.
In this case, reprogramming allows:
- Modification of the calculation by the DME by removing the wait for the secondary probe signal and by adjusting certain parameters (mapping option)
- The modification of the 2 signals sent by deleting the reading of the post-catalyst probe, making it appear that it is still in place (monitoring option)

My conclusion :
This second post catalyst probe must be in place!

I have this Wagner catalyst removed on Wednesday 02/17/2021 and I put everything back original **, thus removing the incomplete and noisy work for my vehicle from the chosen garage.

End of Off topic and I would like to thank MHD here for its support and explanation, as well as BMW HORIZON France.

** I have worked hard to afford the car of my dreams and will take every precaution to keep it as long as possible.

Last edited by F20_M135i; 02-13-2021 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #4469
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
1768
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
My pragmatic analysis continuation and end:

The first pre-catalyst probe is used to send a data signal to the DME for a calculation necessary for the settings
The second post-catalyst probe is only used to read data from the first.
BUT: the DME waits for 2 signals to make its calculation necessary for the vehicle settings.
In this case, reprogramming allows:
- Modification of the calculation by the DME by removing the wait for the secondary probe signal and by adjusting certain parameters (mapping option)
- The modification of the 2 signals sent by deleting the reading of the post-catalyst probe, making it appear that it is still in place (monitoring option)

My conclusion :
This second post catalyst probe must be in place!

I have this Wagner catalyst removed on Wednesday 02/17/2021 and I put everything back original **, thus removing the incomplete and noisy work for my vehicle from the chosen garage.

End of Off topic and I would like to thank MHD here for its support and explanation, as well as BMW HORIZON France.

** I have worked hard to afford the car of my dreams and will take every precaution to keep it as long as possible.
I'm glad you got it figured out even if it wasn't the conclusion you were hoping for. Did you talk to Wagner? They should be willing to send you a replacement DP that fits correctly at no charge if yours had the fitment issue due to incorrect secondary o2 sensor bung placement.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #4470
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
57
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

Hello friend, Yes I am waiting for a response from WAGNER for the reimbursement of this unsuitable Downpipe, I hope they will say yes.
For now I have made the decision not to ride any more, maybe I will do that later
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #4471
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
1768
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Hello friend, Yes I am waiting for a response from WAGNER for the reimbursement of this unsuitable Downpipe, I hope they will say yes.
For now I have made the decision not to ride any more, maybe I will do that later
F20_M135i FYI, another thread about this issue was just bumped. Here are two more references with other people having the same issue with the wagner:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1794476

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699972
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #4472
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
57
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
The garage tells me that it is impossible to put this probe back because otherwise the base of the sensor (circled in red) will be against the metal of the car body and will eventually break!
The garage tried to mount the downpipe in all directions but the result: the probe touches the metal part! and they decided to withdraw it ...


PART: 684462 Wagner Tuning Decatalyst Downpipe - 500001014 For BMW 1 Series - F20 M135i (x) until 06/2013 (2011 to 2013)
Hello,
I have chosen to return the part for refund.
And for sharing and more precision, here is what results in forcing the installation of the post catalyst sensor on a DP WAGNER (vehicle F20 N55 PWG):







The garage decided not to mount the post catalyst probe because this would have had the effect of breaking with the vibrations, we can also see that its installation pushes the heat protection plate!

- END OF EXCLUSION -

There was an update yesterday from MHD with changes but I believe what is missing ...
I would like the possibility of "preparing your flash" and above all, of having "a history of the last" offline.
Let me explain: When we discover the possibilities of this application, we test a lot of options, parameters and courses ... But in combination with another software (like Xhp Flashtool for example) we can quickly get lost in all these settings ...
The MHD TUNING application should save the last STAGE flash with all its chosen parameters (fuel, gearbox mode, burble options ... etc)
So that all this is available offline from the car and that we can consult it at any time
What do you think ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:12 AM   #4473
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
1768
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Hello,
I have chosen to return the part for refund.
And for sharing and more precision, here is what results in forcing the installation of the post catalyst sensor on a DP WAGNER (vehicle F20 N55 PWG):


The garage decided not to mount the post catalyst probe because this would have had the effect of breaking with the vibrations, we can also see that its installation pushes the heat protection plate!

- END OF EXCLUSION -

There was an update yesterday from MHD with changes but I believe what is missing ...
I would like the possibility of "preparing your flash" and above all, of having "a history of the last" offline.
Let me explain: When we discover the possibilities of this application, we test a lot of options, parameters and courses ... But in combination with another software (like Xhp Flashtool for example) we can quickly get lost in all these settings ...
The MHD TUNING application should save the last STAGE flash with all its chosen parameters (fuel, gearbox mode, burble options ... etc)
So that all this is available offline from the car and that we can consult it at any time
What do you think ?
I don't really run any custom options in MHD so its not an issue for me, but in any case, i usually take a screenshot of each screen as i go through the flash process. This is the easiest way to go back and reference, and it also lets you know the date/time you last flashed, etc. I use the same for XHP because i do run some custom settings there.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:18 AM   #4474
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
57
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

Except that in the case of MHD you are required to take X2 screenshots for the options chosen, and X1 for the internship while for Xhp Flashtool you can prepare your options and your flash offline and offline from the car. think that wouldn't be a good bonus for MHD?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #4475
chrisman210
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i FBO MHD St. 2+
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Here is the situation. BMW is asking if they can reflash all the modules which they would need to do to retrofit a control module for the Auto/Manual HVAC (they are aware of all the mods and tune and have been awesome about it). I see on MHD site it say in bold red letters that cars with newer BMW software would need to be bench unlocked. Not sure what that means and am in danger of being in that category if I let them reflash the car with what I assume is newer software? How is that different from when MHD unlocks the DME the first time you flash? Thank you people for any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #4476
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
1768
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman210 View Post
Here is the situation. BMW is asking if they can reflash all the modules which they would need to do to retrofit a control module for the Auto/Manual HVAC (they are aware of all the mods and tune and have been awesome about it). I see on MHD site it say in bold red letters that cars with newer BMW software would need to be bench unlocked. Not sure what that means and am in danger of being in that category if I let them reflash the car with what I assume is newer software? How is that different from when MHD unlocks the DME the first time you flash? Thank you people for any thoughts.
This is a question best suited for MHD directly. But i will comment based on my experience:

I had a software update done in late 2019. Not sure exactly what modules/software were updated, but it cleared all my setting/memory/etc in the car and i basically had to go through the idrive and redo everything. I was able to flash MHD no problem.

I do recommend that you flash back to stock / uninstall MHD / relock the DME before doing any kind of software update, even if the dealer is fine with you being tuned. Its quite possible it will mess with the tune in some way, and its the safest in my opinion to go in with a untuned car, come out with a updated untuned car, then reflash MHD as a fresh install. This will also be sure that your newly updated software is saved as your stock file with MHD.

I am pretty sure, but not certain, when they refer to the newest software they just mean the newest DMEs for new models, which always take some time to be cracked before they can be OBD flashed vs. bench flashed.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #4477
chrisman210
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i FBO MHD St. 2+
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This is a question best suited for MHD directly. But i will comment based on my experience:

I had a software update done in late 2019. Not sure exactly what modules/software were updated, but it cleared all my setting/memory/etc in the car and i basically had to go through the idrive and redo everything. I was able to flash MHD no problem.

I do recommend that you flash back to stock / uninstall MHD / relock the DME before doing any kind of software update, even if the dealer is fine with you being tuned. Its quite possible it will mess with the tune in some way, and its the safest in my opinion to go in with a untuned car, come out with a updated untuned car, then reflash MHD as a fresh install. This will also be sure that your newly updated software is saved as your stock file with MHD.

I am pretty sure, but not certain, when they refer to the newest software they just mean the newest DMEs for new models, which always take some time to be cracked before they can be OBD flashed vs. bench flashed.
Thanks for the info. All that makes sense. I did reach out to MHD but haven't heard back just yet, figured I might get the answer here first. At the last moment I called them back to tell them no after I agreed. The mechanic did say along the lines of what you are saying that it would likely be for the B58 but wasn't sure. The warning is on MHDs f series N55 module so hard to say. I will post on here what their response is when I get it back. For now I can live with it as the main issue was the blend door actuator that was making noise in Automatic HVAC setting, they replaced that under warranty. The switching back and forth, is now silent annoyance. Anyway, I'll update when I hear from MHD.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #4478
chrisman210
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i FBO MHD St. 2+
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman210 View Post
Here is the situation. BMW is asking if they can reflash all the modules which they would need to do to retrofit a control module for the Auto/Manual HVAC (they are aware of all the mods and tune and have been awesome about it). I see on MHD site it say in bold red letters that cars with newer BMW software would need to be bench unlocked. Not sure what that means and am in danger of being in that category if I let them reflash the car with what I assume is newer software? How is that different from when MHD unlocks the DME the first time you flash? Thank you people for any thoughts.
Jut an update. Disappointing lack of communication from MHD. All they answered was "ask them not to flash engine computer". This is via Facebook Messenger, maybe not the best venue to reach out but I was pressed for time. They didn't respond to follow up.

EDIT: MHD just reached out saying for N55 it should be good

Last edited by chrisman210; 02-22-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #4479
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
57
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: bmw f20 M135i Xdrive PWG
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

Small incident yesterday on the road = broken glass

Exploded windshield and headlight optics (projection of pebbles at over 80km/h)

Tomorrow, expertise of the insurance of my vehicle and therefore deposit at the original BMW garage.

Goodbye MHD & Xhp, return to the origin for the gearbox and the engine in less than 10 minutes: too good
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #4480
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
Korvo's Avatar
United_States
343
Rep
870
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (2)

So has anyone used anti-lag? Could you share thoughts?
__________________
2014 335xi M-Sport 6MT: Estoril Blue II, MHD Stage 2+ , Dinan Exhaust, Dinan CAI, ER Catted DP, ER Chargepipe, AA FMIC.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flash, mhd, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST