F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Grinding noise from center console.
GetBMWParts

06-28-2023, 08:35 AM   #89
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartbreakerF80 View Post
I watched this exact video 300 times before I attempted it myself I swear.
It’s incredibly hard to explain and it’s actually the only part he doesn’t go over in the video. There is a bolt that is mounted to the chassis of the car that points downward. You have to pull the gas tank down enough to clear the bolt entirely before pulling the broken clip out. Then you have to be able to slide the new clip on while still clearing the bolt.

I am just giving you my recent personal experience. I would spend up to $200 on the metal replacement knowing what I know now. There’s a reason why the metal clip was engineered in a way that you don’t have to remove the rubber grommet or drop the gas tank at all… there’s also a reason most shops want $700 - $1000 to fix it.
So you're saying its hard to get the fuel tank to flex that far down to provide clearance? But I totally get what you're saying. I've been there plenty of times where 10 minutes youtube video fix turns into 6 hours on the garage floor, questioning your life. So I'll be sure to call the dogs off early if this starts going south. I don't mind trying first with $10 part.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 01:30 PM   #90
DADPAID
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

you can just as easily do this with zip ties in 5 minutes time. kind of a hack way of fixing things that I don't typically recommend, but it's much cheaper and less labor intensive than replacing the part which will just fail again anyways
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #91
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADPAID View Post
you can just as easily do this with zip ties in 5 minutes time. kind of a hack way of fixing things that I don't typically recommend, but it's much cheaper and less labor intensive than replacing the part which will just fail again anyways
I'd never be able to live with that solution. The original clip lasted 10+ years for me, I wonder why for others it failed so much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 03:02 PM   #92
DADPAID
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
I'd never be able to live with that solution. The original clip lasted 10+ years for me, I wonder why for others it failed so much quicker.
I would imagine heat has quite a bit to do with it, not only ambient but from the exhaust as well since that clip lives right above the heat shield. not entirely sure but just a theory
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 06:46 PM   #93
TurboWeasel
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Yeah the AGA tools video does gloss over one specific point - his example car did not have the metal sleeve inside the rubber bush that a lot of Fxx cars do have. Must have been a revision BMW used at some point during the Fxx's lifecycle. Either that, being cynical, he removed that ahead of time to make his product look simpler to fit than it really is to boost sales.

In any case, mine had the metal sleeve.

The cable tie method seems to work for some, although I would have used industrial grade ones that are a lot beefier and more resistant to environmental decay.

But I opted to use the AGA bracket for a more permanent and elegant solution.

For cars that do have the steel sleeve fitted, you will NOT be able to remove it without dropping the tank, otherwise you risk damaging that area of the tank by prying on it and bending it out of shape too much. I know, I tried.

Dropping the tank is very easy. You can completely remove the tank straps and it won't drop any more than a few inches, even when full. It won't come down completely and drop on your head, don't worry. You just need to be careful with the right rear strap bolt as it screws in at a weird angle, so don't cross thread it.

You don't need to drop the driveshaft.

It really is as simple as lowering the tank a bit, pull the steel sleeve out, shove the bracket in and you're done.

I did it on just a pair of stands at the rear only. Plenty of space providing you're not a massive 6' 6" quarter back sized dude.

The bracket pulls the cables super tight up to the floor for a fit and forget solution. No cheesy looking DIY cable ties staring at you every time you look under there.

I also noticed post fitment the handbrake feel when pulling it up is a lot more positive and robust compared to the vague and flimsy/light feel with the plastic waste of space bracket.

Last edited by TurboWeasel; 06-30-2023 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2023, 01:57 AM   #94
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

So did most go with normal zip ties or opt for metal ones?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #95
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoss View Post
So did most go with normal zip ties or opt for metal ones?
I used heat resistant plastic zip ties. I think it's been at least a year and no troubles. 5 minutes and 5 dollars invested... One day I'll get around to the permanent fix but it's not a priority and the zip ties put the issue to rest in the meanwhile
      09-12-2023, 07:56 AM   #96
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedream View Post
I made a bracket with an old plate I had laying around. I dropped the heat sheild and used a ratcheting wrench. Took me nomore than a half hour to do.
Nice fix. Don't know why folks haven't considered using the metal pipe hanger? That bolt is a great place to do it. https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-33923-G...a-818522546543