F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Excessive engine ticking?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-25-2021, 03:32 AM   #1
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

So I know the B58TU HPFP can be noisy when on Gen 1 B58s, but not sure if this ticking is excessive or maybe a different underlying problem with my B58.

You can hear the sound in the video below. During idle, ticking is fine and seems normal for the most part, but when under light acceleration this is what you hear from outside. (Oil level check was being run in the video, but it is the same sound I hear driving in a parking garage from the sound echoing off the walls but at a slower tick than in the video)

https://youtube.com/shorts/e2mByijYtGs
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds somewhat normal, Make sure it was installed correctly as it needs to be lined up perfectly otherwise, listen for a change
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Sleeper340i, what's the build date of your vehicle? How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Sleeper340i, what's the build date of your vehicle? How many miles?
Not sure the exact build date, but it a 2016 340i with about 57,500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I have a 2016 340, and sounds quite similar to that. Seems to be focused around the injector rail area (HPFP is probably there as well).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M140i

hearing this noise would make me worried , its really high .
I had this pump on my N55 and currently on a b58 . never had or have such
excessive ticking . maybe you have a different problem aswell
      04-04-2021, 02:42 AM   #7
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

I don’t have a TU but I do have a dorch stage 1 HPFP. Mine sounds similar to yours. I wouldn’t worry about it much unless your logs are looking pretty bad
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the assurance guys. Was worried because my cars been burning through oil and recently been smelling some random smells in cabin on occasion in the morning going to work but guess that's a whole separate thing not related to this. Logs are very clean too.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:21 AM   #9
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
Thanks for the assurance guys. Was worried because my cars been burning through oil and recently been smelling some random smells in cabin on occasion in the morning going to work but guess that's a whole separate thing not related to this. Logs are very clean too.
i have same sound dorch stage 1
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ill try to record a sound and post it here .
cars been sitting cold for a few days now .

is it the same for you between a cold and a hot engine ?
      04-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss340 View Post
I don’t have a TU but I do have a dorch stage 1 HPFP. Mine sounds similar to yours. I wouldn’t worry about it much unless your logs are looking pretty bad

I have the B58 TU pump and the VTT turbo (not the higher powered GC). I see u have dorch stage 1, I'd love to grab dorch stage 2, i can't find any available anywhere currently. Any ideas to get my hands on 1. I'd sell my supra pump on here once I can find the dorch to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #12
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

cold start noise

warm engine idling .

quite a difference compared to the topic starters video
      04-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #13
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_H_O_M_A_S View Post

cold start noise

warm engine idling .

quite a difference compared to the topic starters video
Hey man, thanks for recording those vids! Yours sounds perfectly fine to me and what mine used to sound like lol.

To your question above, the sound is definitely louder on colder starts and tends to go away for the most part while driving. But the thing is I'm on very low partial throttle when it makes this sound like say if you were driving in a neighborhood or parking garage. The sound from my vid was recorded during an oil level check and during cold startup it's just a very loud click which gets better while driving. Are you running stock pump?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #14
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss340 View Post

I have the B58 TU pump and the VTT turbo (not the higher powered GC). I see u have dorch stage 1, I'd love to grab dorch stage 2, i can't find any available anywhere currently. Any ideas to get my hands on 1. I'd sell my supra pump on here once I can find the dorch to replace it.
Haven't checked their website in a bit, but I believe they had the Dorsch stage 1 back in stock with the production of stage 2 coming back really soon. This was a few weeks ago at least though. If anything it might just be backorder and waiting.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #15
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the TU pump is pretty visible in the video
      04-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_H_O_M_A_S View Post
the TU pump is pretty visible in the video
Must be blind wonder what causes the difference with the pump sound then as looks like other people have same sound as mine.

Have u tried listening while cruising say 20mph or lightly holding a rev around 1500? Wonder if u would get the same sound as my video or not. It is kinda hard to hear unless in an enclosed ish space.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #17
sultan340
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i RWD MPPSK

sounds different.. clearly not normal. I've pm'ed you a video of mine, does the same but ONLY around 1000-1200 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #18
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan340 View Post
sounds different.. clearly not normal. I've pm'ed you a video of mine, does the same but ONLY around 1000-1200 rpm.
Quote:
Hey man, saw your video. Sounds similar for sure. You're right it is not normal and it is a very annoying sound, especially on my end as it was up to 2000 rpm.

But I'm actually replacing my engine. My pistons turned out to be going bad as they were leaking oil into cylinder 3 and I also had scoring on my cylinder walls as well. Wonder if the pistons made the sound. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the exact culprit is as there could have been other underlying problems as well with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #19
sultan340
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey man, saw your video. Sounds similar for sure. You're right it is not normal and it is a very annoying sound, especially on my end as it was up to 2000 rpm.

But I'm actually replacing my engine. My pistons turned out to be going bad as they were leaking oil into cylinder 3 and I also had scoring on my cylinder walls as well. Wonder if the pistons made the sound. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the exact culprit is as there could have been other underlying problems as well with the engine.
Exactly what i thought. I got another video with this sound (exact behaviour as mines) which turned out to be piston slap. But thats the only one i know with confirmed F'ed up cylinder/piston. Guess i will get it to a shop and do a bore analysis with a cam... This sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #20
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what i thought. I got another video with this sound (exact behaviour as mines) which turned out to be piston slap. But thats the only one i know with confirmed F'ed up cylinder/piston. Guess i will get it to a shop and do a bore analysis with a cam... This sucks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That would make complete sense to me. How many miles was your car? If it's not leaking oil yet hopefully it's not too bad and your cylinder walls are ok. I was losing about a quart every few weeks or so from the pistons. Hopefully everything is okay though man.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
sultan340
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That would make complete sense to me. How many miles was your car? If it's not leaking oil yet hopefully it's not too bad and your cylinder walls are ok. I was losing about a quart every few weeks or so from the pistons. Hopefully everything is okay though man.
Its not losing oil and sounds less hard than your initial video. I do have a theory though of what possibly happened. During my turbo upgrade we have seen that the (almost 3 months old) catted highflow downpipe was failing from inside. This could be the indication of injector failure (clogged at one point?) --> cylinder/piston damage and running lean --> high etg's causing catalysator damage in the downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #22
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Mine sounds like this too. Get your head close to the center of the valve cover, there should be a small black device that ticks constantly (Its got lines going to and from it) it vents fuel pressure or something like that. That contributes to a lot of my noise.
Appreciate 0