F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Seeking your wisdom on Lease vs PCP for F32 430d
Extreme Powerhouse

07-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #45
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Luxury (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Always purchased using BMW PCP but got a really good BMW PCH lease deal on my last car so went with it. Never again... I had a very poor experience at the end of the lease with BMWFS - you really notice that you are not really dealing with one BMW. It's a long story but it may help to put a good lease deal in context...

They won't quote for you to purchase/extend lease until it is too late is one of many issues - 60 days in advance of the end of contract when the kind of cars I buy take 90 days to build. So in my case I had to order my new car before I knew what my options really were. When the PCH guys did quote the purchase price was poor (fine, didn't want to purchase anyway) but they quoted to rent for another 12 months and price was stupidly cheap - £200 instead of the £924 I was paying (535d GT M Sport with all the toys on 30k/annum). I went back to the dealer and threatened to cancel and go with the rental unless they could lop another big chunk off my new car - which they did. So that was good news but it was a crazy way to do business.

The issues really came when it came to the delivery of my new car being around a month after my lease expired (all outside of my control and down to BMW) - no co-ordination between dealer and BMWFS - you have to sort it all yourself. You can imagine I didn't feel like paying £924 for the extra month beyond the end of my contract when they'd just quoted me £200/month AND my car was going back to them with 20k less miles than contracted (no option to do anything about a change in circumstances on a BMW lease) - so a lengthy battle ensued where they simply would not communicate with me - I thought they'd done the decent thing and just let me have the car for the last month and then they then hit me with a large bill after I returned the car. I had returned my old car to the dealer who gave me little notice that my new car was ready and to cap it all BMWFS charged me for the time my old car was sat at the dealer as they couldn't get around to collecting it (despite the dealer submitting the paperwork on the day I return it). In the end BMW FS halved my final payment so financially I actually did quite well out of this sorry tale as I stuck to my guns but it certainly wasn't a process I'd recommend to anyone.

Sorry for the lengthy post - but hopefully it will help your decision !!

Thanks. A useful reminder that BMWFS or any other financial institution cares only about its own financial well-being and not yours
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #46
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix-d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
True, but the interest is calculated and applied before the initial payment. So, you are just paying a proportion of your monthly payment in advance. It has no effect on the interest charge at all.

It's your call of course but if that was my cash I'd rather it was earning interest for me rather than BMW - £3k at 3% over 3 years is about £280.
You're correct, of course. Whether you pay it up front or during the course of the lease, the total outlay is the same. I guess it's a psychological thing of lower monthly payments vs the risk of losing the entire downpayment amount in the event of a vehicle loss.
Lower payments (3 months) is probably the most suitable option on a lease. As you said, less money lost in the event of a write off, as GAP doesn't cover your downpayment.
      08-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #47
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Latest update, for those who may find this interesting. Neva aren't able to reduce their monthly cost.

I contacted Contract Hire and Leasing about their lease and had an interesting reaction from their salesperson. He was genuinely puzzled that I'd added some options (“unusual options, why? Most people don't order them”) instead of remaining with the stock version. Despite promises, nothing heard back from them, leading me to suspect that it's just bait.

I then suggested to a local BMW dealer that they could try to get close to roshambo's deal, i.e. 12k mpa, 6+35, my chosen spec on a new build, excess 12ppm, £460/month (inc VAT). The sales guy's getting his "..dealer principal to look at getting close to the figure'”. Hmmm. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:49 AM   #48
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Final update of the saga which'll hopefully help others in a similar situation.

Fleet Prices submitted a quote of 36 Months, 12k miles per annum, 6 + 35 on £448.46 inc VAT per month. The other broker (Car Leasing Made Simple) advised that this particular offer for the 430d was no longer available. Fleet Prices continued to insist that it was, made me complete the finance application and on the day I pressed the button advised that 'disaster had struck' and the 430d deal was unavailable. What a complete waste of my time and their time. They offered me a 330d, but I wasn't going anywhere near them again.

Now, there's a 330d deal program available and I've gone for it with delivery in October... more details when it arrives. It'd been nice to have a 430d, but I'm sure the 330d will be more than good enough

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and tips. This forum has been invaluable when dealing with brokers and dealers.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #49
Meds
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport +

Did you speak to the likes of Riaz and TRL? Apologies if you already have (I've not read the entire thread).
      08-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #50
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meds View Post
Did you speak to the likes of Riaz and TRL? Apologies if you already have (I've not read the entire thread).
Actually I emailed Riaz, but he said he couldn't anywhere near the rates the brokers were providing. A shame really..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #51
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

I have always used either PCP or HP but now with BMW flooding the market with their vehicles, I am very tempted by a lease as negative equity can be a killer...
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #52
leon1984
Captain
Rep
Drives: Old Mini! (M235i gone)

Had the exact same thing sorting my GF SLK250 AMG out. Change of quarter, all the deals dropped off the sites other than one who insisted they could still get them (£240 a month for a £38kk car!) so I did all the paperwork and it got ordered fine. Then two weeks later all the sites had the deals back up. Very odd really but luckily they were true to their word and could get one.

330D is a nice car, and more practical. You didnt fancy the 430d GC then? I swapped out my 335d order for a 430d GC for a little over £300 a month inc VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix-d View Post
Final update of the saga which'll hopefully help others in a similar situation.

Fleet Prices submitted a quote of 36 Months, 12k miles per annum, 6 + 35 on £448.46 inc VAT per month. The other broker (Car Leasing Made Simple) advised that this particular offer for the 430d was no longer available. Fleet Prices continued to insist that it was, made me complete the finance application and on the day I pressed the button advised that 'disaster had struck' and the 430d deal was unavailable. What a complete waste of my time and their time. They offered me a 330d, but I wasn't going anywhere near them again.

Now, there's a 330d deal program available and I've gone for it with delivery in October... more details when it arrives. It'd been nice to have a 430d, but I'm sure the 330d will be more than good enough

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and tips. This forum has been invaluable when dealing with brokers and dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #53
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon1984 View Post
330D is a nice car, and more practical. You didnt fancy the 430d GC then? I swapped out my 335d order for a 430d GC for a little over £300 a month inc VAT
the 430d just didn't do it for me, unfortunately... I actually like the anonymity of the 330d .... just to use my current E90 325d as an example, just pootling along, but astounding performance when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #54
leon1984
Captain
Rep
Drives: Old Mini! (M235i gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix-d View Post
the 430d just didn't do it for me, unfortunately... I actually like the anonymity of the 330d .... just to use my current E90 325d as an example, just pootling along, but astounding performance when you need it.
Fair enough!! I hate BMW's obessive niche filling exercises but have to admit I think the 4/6 GC are really nice looking. Was glad to get a 4GC in carbon black
Appreciate 0