F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Do not go to the dealer!!!
Studio RSR

09-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #23
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein Jockins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebeem View Post
Quote:
So is it possible (yet) to bench unlock a dme with this new software update? Same scenario for me where service led to a new update (I noticed it on the iDrive screen immediately turning it on).

I'm currently stock but was about to send it to Kies Motorsport to unlock for BM3. I'll reach out to Kies to ask but curious if anyone knows if an unlocked DME is always unlocked or how that works..
Quote:
So is it possible (yet) to bench unlock a dme with this new software update? Same scenario for me where service led to a new update (I noticed it on the iDrive screen immediately turning it on).

I'm currently stock but was about to send it to Kies Motorsport to unlock for BM3. I'll reach out to Kies to ask but curious if anyone knows if an unlocked DME is always unlocked or how that works..
Great question, so i sent my DME out to Mission Performance in California to unbrick and bench unlock it. They were successful, but before i try to flash BM3 i have an appointment today with them so they can remotely flash or see if it's possible. Mission Performance said they are able to flash on new software but wasn't sure if MHD or BM3 were capable of doing that. I'll make an update today after my session with PTF and see if the platform is able to. I just didn't want to take a chance again and brick my DME lmao.

side note: when i tried to contact Kies, they never responded to me lmao
Awesome please update, and hopefully it's a success hah.

I thought if your dme is unlocked, you could flash it with whatever hence it being unlocked ?
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Great question, so i sent my DME out to Mission Performance in California to unbrick and bench unlock it. They were successful, but before i try to flash BM3 i have an appointment today with them so they can remotely flash or see if it's possible. Mission Performance said they are able to flash on new software but wasn't sure if MHD or BM3 were capable of doing that. I'll make an update today after my session with PTF and see if the platform is able to. I just didn't want to take a chance again and brick my DME lmao.

side note: when i tried to contact Kies, they never responded to me lmao
Awesome please update, and hopefully it's a success hah.

I thought if your dme is unlocked, you could flash it with whatever hence it being unlocked ?
touché, but again i just want to make sure completely with BM3 that it's okay to flash again lmao, not trying to have a dead car again smh

And i will update later today!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #24
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Man Im completely with you. I got so pumped for bm3, found out my dme was locked, got this new update, so Im hoping it goes smooth for you. Then I'll ship mine off to do the same. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #25
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

So when going to the dealer for maint. service, I should tell them not to update any software whatsoever, right? I don't care if they know I'm tuned. I just want to avoid this situation.

Last edited by vektorprime; 09-05-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #26
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
So when going to the dealer for maint. service, I should tell them not to update any software whatsoever, right? I don't care if they know I'm tuned. I just want to avoid this situation.
yes!! tell them to not touch the OBD port at all, they usually do not care if you're tuned anyways...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #27
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
yes!! tell them to not touch the OBD port at all, they usually do not care if you're tuned anyways...
How would they reset the service intervals and register the maintenance if not through OBD
      09-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #28
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

There are usually very competent independently owned shops that service BMWs in almost every metro area. There is no reason to visit a dealer for paid maintenance.
Appreciate 2
MaximusJ303.00
      09-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #29
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes there is. Warranty + goodwill post-warranty.
      09-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #30
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I hate my local dealer. Bunch of brain dead technicians straight out of elementary school who don't know left from right. Same with the fraudulent SAs.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #31
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Yes there is. Warranty + goodwill post-warranty.
Did you read my comment? I said paid maintenance. Also, if you decided to tune you should assume your powertrain warranty is voided. The ONLY reason my tuned vehicles ever go to a dealer is for safety recalls or non-powertrain warranty. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Did you read my comment? I said paid maintenance. Also, if you decided to tune you should assume your powertrain warranty is voided. The ONLY reason my tuned vehicles ever go to a dealer is for safety recalls or non-powertrain warranty. That's it.
Maintenance is always paid. Maybe you meant repairs.
Also there is a difference between "assumed loss of warranty" and "self-induced loss of warranty". Sometimes a big one.
      09-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #33
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Maintenance is always paid. Maybe you meant repairs.
Also there is a difference between "assumed loss of warranty" and "self-induced loss of warranty". Sometimes a big one.
How about we just call it "work that requires additional payment"? I don't want to debate whether repairs are the same thing as maintenance and depending on where you bought you car new, "maintenance" is "free of additional charge" during a certain period, just like warrantied repair work.

Anyhow, you make a good point about assumed loss of warranty vs. self imposed. My only point is that if you decide to bring your car to the dealer and you are tuned, you risk having your dme locked. If you want to take that risk for a potential warranty claim or recall, because the potential reward outweighs the risk of the dme being locked... fine. But to bring you car in for an overpriced oil change or control arm replacement or any other general repair, there is zero reasons to go to a dealer for "work that requires additional payment". Plenty of indy shops around that can handle that work, do the job better and treat their employees better than dealer service departments. Unfortunately, people often times just focus on getting that "free" loaner for the day.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #34
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

The above, I can agree with... more or less fully.
One needs to decide what's more important at a give point in time. I am for example not tuned (yet) as I made that call. For the time being.
      09-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #35
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Welp, they uploaded the new software to my car months back (car is untuned), and I was debating tuning options. Looks like I'll be going with the MPPSK if they discount it during black friday. Probably the safest move overall anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #36
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
touché, but again i just want to make sure completely with BM3 that it's okay to flash again lmao, not trying to have a dead car again smh

Any update from your meeting with PTF? Kies responding to me earlier saying they "should be able" to unlock my DME even after any new update as long as the DME production date is prior to 6/2020. I'm really just curious if a bench unlocked DME is indefinitely unlocked or if its subject to new software update that locks it again, and it would need to be subsequently bench unlocked again, etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #37
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any update from your meeting with PTF? Kies responding to me earlier saying they "should be able" to unlock my DME even after any new update as long as the DME production date is prior to 6/2020. I'm really just curious if a bench unlocked DME is indefinitely unlocked or if its subject to new software update that locks it again, and it would need to be subsequently bench unlocked again, etc..
yea my bad i totally forgot to update, so when PTF was looking at my software that popped up when i was connected to my car (i'll attach screenshots of what i sent to them) they said i should be able to flash with no problem. INCLUDING XHP if y'all are running that too. I just haven't done it yet cause i have ptsd from last time lol having a dead car isn't fun, i'll flash this weekend though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #38
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
yea my bad i totally forgot to update, so when PTF was looking at my software that popped up when i was connected to my car (i'll attach screenshots of what i sent to them) they said i should be able to flash with no problem. INCLUDING XHP if y'all are running that too. I just haven't done it yet cause i have ptsd from last time lol having a dead car isn't fun, i'll flash this weekend though.
Well that's good news!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #39
Tmck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW 340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Quote:
Well that's good news!
The dealer flashed reflashed me to stock from bm3 stage 2 on August 4th. I havent tried flashing back yet but does this mean that i cant flash back either?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #40
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Most likely.
      09-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #41
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmck View Post
The dealer flashed reflashed me to stock from bm3 stage 2 on August 4th. I havent tried flashing back yet but does this mean that i cant flash back either?
unfortunately i would think not....i would contact PTF before flashing to be safe
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #42
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well folks, an unfortunate and frustrating update.....As you know i had my DME bricked because of BMW's new software loaded on my car when i tried to flash, sent it out to Mission Performance, Had BM3 PTF verify i was able to flash blah blah blah....I go to flash it right now, and the same thing happens....3% and dead, unplugged the negative terminal and connect it again, nothing....So my car is bricked again...So either Mission Performance didnt bench unlock.... or PTF lied to me when telling me i was okay to Flash after reading my current software... idk what to do anymore lol
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #43
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well folks, an unfortunate and frustrating update.....As you know i had my DME bricked because of BMW's new software loaded on my car when i tried to flash, sent it out to Mission Performance, Had BM3 PTF verify i was able to flash blah blah blah....I go to flash it right now, and the same thing happens....3% and dead, unplugged the negative terminal and connect it again, nothing....So my car is bricked again...So either Mission Performance didnt bench unlock.... or PTF lied to me when telling me i was okay to Flash after reading my current software... idk what to do anymore lol
I feel for you— that's unfortunate... I really hope this new update doesn't perma lock the dme.

Please update if you hear anything from ptf, mission performance, etc. lol I'm waiting to see what happens to you before I bench unlock + bm3 mine after getting this new software.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #44
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel for you— that's unfortunate... I really hope this new update doesn't perma lock the dme.

Please update if you hear anything from ptf, mission performance, etc. lol I'm waiting to see what happens to you before I bench unlock + bm3 mine after getting this new software.
for sure, i contacted ptf yesterday right after it happened and still waiting on a response...Sent my DME out to Mission Performance today and hopefully get it back Wednesday. After speaking with MP they explained to me that many tuning platforms such as BM3, MG flasher etc... arent up to date with lastest firmware, so yes they did their job and ptf i guess misinterpreted my new software id's when they were viewing? again idk and im waiting for what they have to say to this since they confirmed it would be able to flash with "no problem". I believe i am just going to go with MP tuning and have them flash stg 2 over there and start using their platform. Maybe eventually go back to BM3 once they are confident in flashing on new revised unlocked firmware....I'll keep y'all posted...
Appreciate 0