F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Small issue I can't seem to nail down
proTUNING Freaks

09-26-2021, 01:25 AM   #1
yanboogie
Private
Rep
Drives: F30/Q50/Eclipse GSX

Small issue I can't seem to nail down

2014 F30 n55 RWD running MHD 2+.

I had this issue pop up where on decel and mainly going from 3-2>2-1 the car will do what sounds like burbles but more so as if it's gargling. Even If I disable burbles completely. On the stock tune file, it does the same thing. It's never done it before. It also seems as if there is more of a boost delay at low RPMs but pulls fine throughout the rpm range. Personally, I feel like the car should be faster than what it feels like?

Doesn't seem like I'm having HPFP drop nor do the logs show that.

I've replaced the coils, spark plugs with NGK's @ .22, VRSF IC, catless, charge pipes, MST turbo inlet, XHP stage 3, I've cleaned the Vanos solenoids, cleaned map and maf.

You can check out some of the latest logs I have on my datazap profile.
https://datazap.me/u/yanboogie
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

No codes or shadow codes? Nothing really looks wrong in the most recent log.

I never really log decel so i am not sure if the AFR typically trails like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanboogie View Post
2014 F30 n55 RWD running MHD 2+.

I had this issue pop up where on decel and mainly going from 3-2>2-1 the car will do what sounds like burbles but more so as if it's gargling. Even If I disable burbles completely. On the stock tune file, it does the same thing. It's never done it before. It also seems as if there is more of a boost delay at low RPMs but pulls fine throughout the rpm range. Personally, I feel like the car should be faster than what it feels like?

Doesn't seem like I'm having HPFP drop nor do the logs show that.

I've replaced the coils, spark plugs with NGK's @ .22, VRSF IC, catless, charge pipes, MST turbo inlet, XHP stage 3, I've cleaned the Vanos solenoids, cleaned map and maf.

You can check out some of the latest logs I have on my datazap profile.
https://datazap.me/u/yanboogie
that's normal
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
No codes or shadow codes? Nothing really looks wrong in the most recent log.

I never really log decal so I am not sure if the AFR typically trails like that.
I've had KOMBI code but it seems some people with mhd have had that pop up for them as well, all seemed to be 14 models. This is the last one I've had, but BDC is a new one, never saw that one actually and wasnt there when this issue started happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
that's normal
I've heard that's normal from others as well but why would it start doing that only now? Ran the car on a tune for 6 months it was never like this before. It doesn't follow the same pattern, it'll gargle/burble some times longer sometimes longer even with the function disabled? Someone told me it might be the injectors starting to fail but I haven't noticed any wet spark plugs or hard cold starts. Figured I'd ask around here and see.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've had KOMBI code but it seems some people with mhd have had that pop up for them as well, all seemed to be 14 models. This is the last one I've had, but BDC is a new one, never saw that one actually and wasnt there when this issue started happening

I've heard that's normal from others as well but why would it start doing that only now? Ran the car on a tune for 6 months it was never like this before. It doesn't follow the same pattern, it'll gargle/burble some times longer sometimes longer even with the function disabled? Someone told me it might be the injectors starting to fail but I haven't noticed any wet spark plugs or hard cold starts. Figured I'd ask around here and see.
My car also randomly has a "burble" sound on decel in comfort mode when i historically had zero burbles in that mode. IT also started several months after being tuned and i have made zero hardware or software changes during that time period. It might just be a small audible pop or two in the exhaust. Yes, it is unexpected that it started without a clear explanation but i don't lose sleep over it when i have zero codes, good datalogs, and the car runs perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Probably doesn't help but I haven't touched my MHD settings in months and have very subtle burbles on sport mode, was doing a few pulls out of town and on decel it was throwing some very loud bangs out of no where and occasionally comes and goes, I have no idea but ya
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Probably doesn't help but I haven't touched my MHD settings in months and have very subtle burbles on sport mode, was doing a few pulls out of town and on decel it was throwing some very loud bangs out of no where and occasionally comes and goes, I have no idea but ya
Yup mine also became a bit inconsistent. I always ran OEM settings, which meant nothing in comfort mode. But i get random things in confort now, with no hardware or software changes. I don't consider it a "problem"
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:51 AM   #8
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Ok cool, so let's say it is good and moving on.

Another thing I found weird is that on my buddies m235, he runs the same stg2+ map, and hits 18pounds through the whole power band pretty much, mine pretty much doesn't go over 15? Would that be maybe because of a bad boost solenoid? I only ask this because I always felt my car is slower than it should be... when driving his I can tell its running more boost and is keeping boost through the whole power band.

p,s - I appreciate you guys responding!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #9
lucasborka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435i FBO

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i   [7.50]
Quote:

Another thing I found weird is that on my buddies m235, he runs the same stg2+ map, and hits 18pounds through the whole power band pretty much, mine pretty much doesn't go over 15? Would that be maybe because of a bad boost solenoid? I only ask this because I always felt my car is slower than it should be... when driving his I can tell its running more boost and is keeping boost through the whole power band.

You have an ewg so no boost soleniod, check if you have high wgdc which indicates boost leak. Check wastegate adjustment with ista
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Wait are you comparing MHD stage 2+ to MHD stage 2+ or to BM3?

If you are actually comparing MHD to MHD, MHD tunes are load-based so the boost varies depending on ambient conditions to meet load target. Assuming his tune is the same version etc, that's most likely why. You can look at his logs and see if the load target is the same. Also, if you are automatic trans, make sure you have XHP or something to disable torque limits, or that could be another reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

There is a possiblity your injectors are starting to become little bit leaky. BMW can run diagnosis and pinpoint it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #12
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasborka View Post
You have an ewg so no boost soleniod, check if you have high wgdc which indicates boost leak. Check wastegate adjustment with ista
I'll have to take a look via ista. I could have sworn the boost solenoid is the sensor right near the throttle body that has like a few plastic hardlines going into it. Unless that's for evap? Thanks!

Quote:

If you are actually comparing MHD to MHD, MHD tunes are load-based so the boost varies depending on ambient conditions to meet load target. Assuming his tune is the same version etc, that's most likely why. You can look at his logs and see if the load target is the same. Also, if you are automatic trans, make sure you have XHP or something to disable torque limits, or that could be another reason.
I've had BM3, I switched over to MHD. But yeah it's MHD to MHD comarison. He is DCT though. I also do have XHP Stg3, so the tq limits shouldn't be the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
There is a possiblity your injectors are starting to become little bit leaky. BMW can run diagnosis and pinpoint it.
These dealers are aids with pricing so i dont even bring my car in for that haha. I also don't have good indie shops near me that focus on bmw performance stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #13
lucasborka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i   [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
I'll have to take a look via ista. I could have sworn the boost solenoid is the sensor right near the throttle body that has like a few plastic hardlines going into it. Unless that's for evap? Thanks!

Quote:

I've had BM3, I switched over to MHD. But yeah it's MHD to MHD comarison. He is DCT though. I also do have XHP Stg3, so the tq limits shouldn't be the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
These dealers are aids with pricing so i dont even bring my car in for that haha. I also don't have good indie shops near me that focus on bmw performance stuff.
That is for evap unfortanly, the pwg models have boost solenoid that controls vacuum for the wastegate. Ewg is on models from 2014 onwards
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #14
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Quote:
That is for evap unfortanly, the pwg models have boost solenoid that controls vacuum for the wastegate. Ewg is on models from 2014 onwards
Gotchya! Thanks for the accurate information! I'll try maybe going for some Bosch oem plugs and see how that goes. Running the NGKS @ .22 and they dont seem to be running as smooth as my old bosch plugs. Gonna keep the stock gap and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
lucasborka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i   [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Gotchya! Thanks for the accurate information! I'll try maybe going for some Bosch oem plugs and see how that goes. Running the NGKS @ .22 and they dont seem to be running as smooth as my old bosch plugs. Gonna keep the stock gap and go from there.
Yes, no need to run other plugs than oem. Use stock gap, you want the biggest gap without risking spark blowout for a more complete combustion.

Bosch Zr5tpp330 is the oem one.

Also clean maf while you are at it!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
you can't compare bm3 stage 2+ to mhd stage 2+ at all.

you can only compare bm3 stage 2 to mhd stage 2+. those are equal tunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

He said it was MHD to MHD comparison.

But if he thinks his friend is running more boost, we just need logs from their cars to see. I've seen several psi variation in boost target in my own logs depending on atmospheric conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #18
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, no need to run other plugs than oem. Use stock gap, you want the biggest gap without risking spark blowout for a more complete combustion.

Bosch Zr5tpp330 is the oem one.

Also clean maf while you are at it!
Maf got cleaned so no issues there. I might just replace both map and maf since im sure they havent been replaced yet.

I'm with you on the stock gap as well, I just wanted to see if there would be any improvement so I gapped em lower.

Quote:

Yep, I did mention its mhd 2+ to mhd 2+

Quote:

But if he thinks his friend is running more boost, we just need logs from their cars to see. I've seen several psi variation in boost target in my own logs depending on atmospheric conditions.

Here is the thing, we've tested both cars on the same day, same road, same conditions. His was hitting more boost and harder than mine. Thats why i brought that up originally.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Maf got cleaned so no issues there. I might just replace both map and maf since im sure they havent been replaced yet.

I'm with you on the stock gap as well, I just wanted to see if there would be any improvement so I gapped em lower.

Yep, I did mention its mhd 2+ to mhd 2+

Here is the thing, we've tested both cars on the same day, same road, same conditions. His was hitting more boost and harder than mine. Thats why i brought that up originally.
Can you explain what you mean by "hitting more boost and harder" - like did he just win a race? Or do you have datalogs for both? Timing corrects and DCT alone could explain one car being faster than the other. We would really need to see the logs to try and understand why.

If you look at my virtual dyno thread you can see how much of a different inconsistent timing on exactly the same map with same car, etc, can make https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #20
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

ohhh I missed that.

yeah we need logs. boost leaks all around lol

local guy to me is throwing away a jb4 and mhd because he says it doesn't make power anymore and is buying bootmod3 because he read it's good. all of this happened shortly after his ic install lol. I keep telling him it's a boost leak but his reply is "I used soap and water to test and there is no leak" lol

so OP post a log so we can either see it's fine or you have a boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #21
yanboogie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by "hitting more boost and harder" - like did he just win a race? Or do you have datalogs for both? Timing corrects and DCT alone could explain one car being faster than the other. We would really need to see the logs to try and understand why.

If you look at my virtual dyno thread you can see how much of a different inconsistent timing on exactly the same map with same car, etc, can make https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1710794
For example, when driving his car, the boost felt like it spooled and reached a higher value way faster than mine. Not sure how to explain it, the best way I could is this, small frame turbo it spools and hits boost later than I would imagine on my car. On his, it came on quicker and peaked higher and I could feel that.

Here Is his account, I think the oldest ones might be when he was having issues but I could be wrong.

https://datazap.me/u/acrelee
https://datazap.me/u/acrelee/log-162...=2-3-4-9-10-16

Quote:
ohhh I missed that.

yeah we need logs. boost leaks all around lol

local guy to me is throwing away a jb4 and mhd because he says it doesn't make power anymore and is buying bootmod3 because he read it's good. all of this happened shortly after his ic install lol. I keep telling him it's a boost leak but his reply is "I used soap and water to test and there is no leak" lol

so OP post a log so we can either see it's fine or you have a boost leak.
My logs are on the front page for my datazap account, you can check the recent ones. I've just about gone over all the connections, Orings a couple of times. Everything seems solid but non the less I haven't done a boost leak test personally yet, which I definitely should.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For example, when driving his car, the boost felt like it spooled and reached a higher value way faster than mine. Not sure how to explain it, the best way I could is this, small frame turbo it spools and hits boost later than I would imagine on my car. On his, it came on quicker and peaked higher and I could feel that.

Here Is his account, I think the oldest ones might be when he was having issues but I could be wrong.

https://datazap.me/u/acrelee
https://datazap.me/u/acrelee/log-162...=2-3-4-9-10-16

My logs are on the front page for my datazap account, you can check the recent ones. I've just about gone over all the connections, Orings a couple of times. Everything seems solid but non the less I haven't done a boost leak test personally yet, which I definitely should.
Well in the log of his you posted here and the most recent log in your account you can clearly see he is targeting higher load and about 2psi more boost.
Appreciate 0