F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DME Bench Unlock
GetBMWParts

11-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
DME Bench Unlock

So I recently picked up a 2019 440i xD GC. I was hoping to pick up BM3 during Black Friday sales, so I grabbed the enet cable and adapter to check to see if my DME is tunable. Turns out it needs a bench unlock...

Does anyone know if this will always be the case? Or are they working on cracking this new DME software update to enable unlocking without a bench unlock?

If it will always need a bench unlock then I'd rather just do it now and not worry in the future, but if its something thats being worked on, I'd rather wait a bit, enjoy the car stock for now, and then tune when a bench unlock is no longer needed.

Any info/insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapilusa View Post
So I recently picked up a 2019 440i xD GC. I was hoping to pick up BM3 during Black Friday sales, so I grabbed the enet cable and adapter to check to see if my DME is tunable. Turns out it needs a bench unlock...

Does anyone know if this will always be the case? Or are they working on cracking this new DME software update to enable unlocking without a bench unlock?

If it will always need a bench unlock then I'd rather just do it now and not worry in the future, but if its something thats being worked on, I'd rather wait a bit, enjoy the car stock for now, and then tune when a bench unlock is no longer needed.

Any info/insight would be appreciated.
Myself and a lot of other people who have gen 1 B58 motors are in the same boat, for now. ProTuningFreaks has put out some teasers on Instagram for the new flash tuning update which will unlocked our locked DMEs. It is a waiting game but I can promise the best people for the job are doing their best so I would wait at least until the end of the year, I don't doubt something may be out by then.

It's a good thing, you should drive and enjoy your car stock, because it is already fast! Get stock baseline times and get used to its power so when you go stage 1 you notice a difference and can move on accordingly from there.

Drive safe, drive fast!
      11-24-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

MPPSK is always a good (and legal) middle-ground. And it is totally worth it! That exhaust is just wow.
      11-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
MPPSK is always a good (and legal) middle-ground. And it is totally worth it! That exhaust is just wow.
Yeah I've considered it. But part of the reason I bought the 440 was to have a quick car that was quiet and comfortable still. Had a 2015 WRX before this that was full bolt ons and tuned, but it was loud and low (and a manual so my wife couldnt drive it). I feel like the MPPSK will be louder than me (and especially my wife) will like for daily driving and weekend trips.

The 440 is definitely quick stock, but was hoping to just throw a stage 1 tune on it and enjoy it. I'm probably just gonna wait it out. Enjoy it stock for now, and then hopefully by this time next year, I'll be able to flash unlock the DME and get the tune on sale next Black Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I've considered it. But part of the reason I bought the 440 was to have a quick car that was quiet and comfortable still. Had a 2015 WRX before this that was full bolt ons and tuned, but it was loud and low (and a manual so my wife couldnt drive it). I feel like the MPPSK will be louder than me (and especially my wife) will like for daily driving and weekend trips.

The 440 is definitely quick stock, but was hoping to just throw a stage 1 tune on it and enjoy it. I'm probably just gonna wait it out. Enjoy it stock for now, and then hopefully by this time next year, I'll be able to flash unlock the DME and get the tune on sale next Black Friday.
MPPSK is actually literally a dual resonator and muffler delete in sport mode and valved in comfort mode. You can achieve the same sound by spending $300 and getting a delete job, do that and drive on stock 320hp until PTF releases the DME flash unlock which is being teased almost every day, I'm guessing by the end of the year.

MPPSK cost $3500

Res and Muffler delete cost $350
BM3 w/ maps cost $650

Just be patient and enjoy your car as is! Grab the black friday tune deal now, put your vin in to connect and you can still flash it whenever it comes out, grab the software anytime!
      11-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander7599 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

MPPSK is actually literally a dual resonator and muffler delete in sport mode and valved in comfort mode. You can achieve the same sound by spending $300 and getting a delete job, do that and drive on stock 320hp until PTF releases the DME flash unlock which is being teased almost every day, I'm guessing by the end of the year.

MPPSK cost $3500

BM3 w/ maps cost $650

Just be patient and enjoy your car as is! Grab the black friday tune deal now, put your vin in to connect and you can still flash it whenever it comes out, grab the software anytime!
Except that it's larger diameter and you don't get the incredible mode versatility that you just mentioned.

Love it when people compare a high-end, state of the art exhaust to drilling holes in the muffler, which apparently does the same thing but Remus and Akrapovic are keeping it a secret and acoustic engineering is just fake news 😂
Makes my day…

But to each their own.
      11-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MPPSK cost $3500

BM3 w/ maps cost $650

Except that it's larger diameter and you don't get the incredible mode versatility that you just mentioned.

Love it when people compare a high-end, state of the art exhaust to drilling holes in the muffler, which apparently does the same thing but Remus and Akrapovic are keeping it a secret 😂
Makes my day…

But to each their own.
Just don't think MPPSK is the best route to go if you're going to eventually tune and further modify your car… to go beyond what MPPSK can achieve for 4x the cost.

Happy Thanksgiving!
      11-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MPPSK cost $3500

BM3 w/ maps cost $650

Love it when people compare a high-end, state of the art exhaust to drilling holes in the muffler, which apparently does the same thing but Remus and Akrapovic are keeping it a secret 😂
Makes my day…

But to each their own.
Just don't think MPPSK is the best route to go if you're going to eventually tune and further modify your car… to go beyond what MPPSK can achieve for 4x the cost.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I phrased it carefully - it is an excellent middle-ground if your DME is locked and/or you are not willing to do an external tune yet.
And worth every penny according to 99,9% of the MPPSK owners.
      11-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MPPSK cost $3500

BM3 w/ maps cost $650

Makes my day…

But to each their own.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I phrased it carefully - it is an excellent middle-ground if your DME is locked and/or you are not willing to do an external tune yet.
And worth every penny according to 99,9% of the MPPSK owners.
But not 100% of them
      11-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

1 in a 1000. Yes.

This said, if one (like the OP) wants more power without any extra sound, that's clearly not the way to go.
      11-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well I grabbed the license on their Black Friday sale and until I'm able to flash unlock the DME (which PTF said they are currently working on and hopefully releasing soon) I'll get to enjoy the car stock. Win win situation for me. Saved the money on with the sale, and I'll get to enjoy the car in stock form for a while and won't need to worry about a bench unlock.
Appreciate 0