F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - Led Fog (F32 to F30) Install Only!!
ARMA SPEED

07-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #45
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
I tried to do this last night on the left (driver) side without removing the wheel, by rotating the wheel all the way out, as suggested, and also all the way in. One of the two screws holding the fog light in place was impossible to get to, no matter what i did. Granted, i didn't have the proper T25 driver as i was using a T25 driver from my bicycle's multi-tool. I am going to get a proper T25 driver today and give it another shot. If that does not pan out, the wheels are coming off.
With the proper T25 Torx driver, i finally managed to get left (driver side) LED fog installed. It was a royal pain in the ass to remove that second screw. I left the right factory fog alone for now so that i could determine if i need to make any adjustment to the angle of the LED fog light. As it turned out, no adjustment was needed.

I also coded the following to prevent the cold/warm checks and flickering on the left LED fog light:

NSW_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv
NSW_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG nicht_aktiv
NSW_L_IS_LED aktiv
MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_PWM_LEVEL_1 100%
MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_L_PWM_LEVEL_1 100%

Here are some after photos:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #46
crapSOOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2011, 328xD 2014

I did the following on my car...

...just push the horn out of the way in the direction of the arrow, or any direction so you can get to the screws. I know space is sort of limited on the right side.

Good luck

Last edited by crapSOOT; 02-28-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #47
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapSOOT View Post
I did the following on my car...

...just push the horn out of the way in the direction of the arrow, or any direction so you can get to the screws. I know space is sort of limited on the right side.

Good luck
So with the horn pushed out of the way, you were able to get the factory fog light out and replaced it with the larger LED fog light? All these accomplished with the auxiliary radiator in place?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:31 AM   #48
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Success!

Finally got the right (passenger side) fog light replaced. It took two painful hours. I sure hope these LED fog lights will last a long long time because i don't really want to go through this again.

Using crapSOOT's suggestion, i bent the horn out of the way. This made accessing the two screws holding the fog light a lot easier. However, the inside screw was still quite difficult to get to. I didn't have a ratchet short and small enough to get to it as the air duct connecting to the auxiliary radiator was in the way. In the end, i decided to move the auxiliary radiator out of the way by removing its three T25 screws. With the auxiliary radiator loosened, i managed to take the inside fog light screw out. The outside screw was a piece of cake with the metal bracket holding the horn bent out of the way. It's tight but the right LED fog light fit in there just fine.

Note: When putting the three auxiliary radiator screws back, you should be able to hand tighten them until the last few turns. When one of them got stuck, i unwisely used a ratchet to turn the screw and that really messed up the threads on the screw. With the thread messed up, the screw would get stuck after only a few turns. So i ended up using my Dremel to cut the screw short.

The first photo below shows the auxiliary radiator loosened. The second photo was taken after i had removed the factory fog light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #49
egon0119
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks a bunch for all your info and photos. I'll have to give this another shot soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 01:27 AM   #50
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
One interesting thing i have noticed is the adaptive headlight started to swivel again when i re-enabled the fog light to turn on when the turn signal is engaged. I set C_CLC_ENA and C_BLC_ENA to F030disable last December and i didn't pay attention until recently on a road trip that the adaptive headlights no longer swiveled according to the direction of the steering wheel. After i installed the LED fog lights, i re-enabled C_CLC_ENA and C_BLC_ENA and i believe one or both of these settings return the adaptive headlights back to what they used to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #51
egon0119
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Install update: I finally got the right side fog installed!

Weirdly the welcome light function for the fogs no longer seems to work but I can troubleshoot that in the future.

So happy to finally complete my LED conversion project.

Update: The fog welcome lights came back on their own the day after coding. *shrug*

Last edited by egon0119; 08-02-2015 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Troubleshooting update
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #52
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon0119 View Post
Install update: I finally got the right side fog installed!

Weirdly the welcome light function for the fogs no longer seems to work but I can troubleshoot that in the future.

So happy to finally complete my LED conversion project.

Update: The fog welcome lights came back on their own the day after coding. *shrug*
Congrats on getting it done. Probably would have been a lot easier with the wheels removed but i did it with wheels still mounted. Did you have to loosen the auxiliary radiator to get to the right fog light?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #53
egon0119
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
Congrats on getting it done. Probably would have been a lot easier with the wheels removed but i did it with wheels still mounted. Did you have to loosen the auxiliary radiator to get to the right fog light?
Yup, I had to move it aside a bit. Not a big deal.

That said my oh-crap-I-screwed-it-up moment was I was tightening the aux radiator bolts. I was convinced that I somehow cross-threaded the lower left one. Turns out the hoses were pulling the radiator to one side and binding it. Hold the radiator in place with one hand, tighten the bolt with the other, job done.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #54
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon0119 View Post
Yup, I had to move it aside a bit. Not a big deal.

That said my oh-crap-I-screwed-it-up moment was I was tightening the aux radiator bolts. I was convinced that I somehow cross-threaded the lower left one. Turns out the hoses were pulling the radiator to one side and binding it. Hold the radiator in place with one hand, tighten the bolt with the other, job done.
I'm glad you didn't literally screw up the thread on the lower left one like i did!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #55
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

So has this been considerably brighter than the stock output? I am thinking of getting the LCI fogs to put in mine. The output of the stock fog lamp is barely noticeable. Also do these color match correctly with stock HID headlamps or is there a considerable difference?
Thanks for your inputs
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #56
marcin23654
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320d N47D20C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns
So has this been considerably brighter than the stock output? I am thinking of getting the LCI fogs to put in mine. The output of the stock fog lamp is barely noticeable. Also do these color match correctly with stock HID headlamps or is there a considerable difference?
Thanks for your inputs
I didn't notice any difference between them. Look
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #57
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin23654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns
Thanks for your inputs
I didn't notice any difference between them. Look
Wow. That looks color matched and a bit blue. Why is the light blue? Is the LED coded to a 100 % brightness level too? I would think so.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #58
Mike_Aviator
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT F34

Hi everyone! I've just finished my conversion to LED and I wonder if someone has any instruction how to adjust the light level? Or maybe someone could make a picture of the light shape on a wall and tell me parameters (like distance to the wall and the light border height)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #59
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGhost View Post
Hi everyone! I've just finished my conversion to LED and I wonder if someone has any instruction how to adjust the light level? Or maybe someone could make a picture of the light shape on a wall and tell me parameters (like distance to the wall and the light border height)? Thanks!
I was curious about the same thing,here are some pictures taken about 3-4 meters away from the wall, i think my beam is pretty narrow,maybe is something to do with the coding?
Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 4628
Size:  513.1 KB

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 4608
Size:  471.1 KB

Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 4631
Size:  514.5 KB

Name:  image4.JPG
Views: 4585
Size:  507.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #60
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

sdjro BlackGhost

The light beam is narrow because of the optics of the fog housing. This is normal and has nothing to do with coding.
The angle is adjusted by a hex screw attached right next to the fog on the assembly itself. You turn it clockwise or anti clockwise to make the beam up or down. Pic Attached.
Even though the source of light is narrow against a wall right in front when pointed slightly downward the spread is significant on the ground. It was the way it was designed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gabreigns; 03-14-2016 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #61
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Gabreigns i knew about those adjusting screws, after installation of the fog lamps i slightly adjusted them higher because i found them less effective/visible than halogens.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #62
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjro
Gabreigns i knew about those adjusting screws, after installation of the fog lamps i slightly adjusted them higher because i found them less effective/visible than halogens.
Gotcha! Might want to adjust them
Lower as that is where they are effective with a wide beam spread pattern. Your headlights take over from there to get you extended beam pattern. I am sure you have done this as mine are effective with these measurements. But the yellower bulbs are more noticeable to naked eye than the LED fogs. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ABEQMwgcKAAwAA[IMG]https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ABEQMwgcKAAwAA[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #63
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
After retrofitting my backup camera this my next mod. With the xenons the yellow halogen fog lights look horrible. Just to be clear, is it possible to have the fog lights on with DRL (switch set to auto)?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #64
TrickyT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White 328i xDrive

I think in Auto, as soon as you turn on the fogs, the lights come on.
You can however code them to be on with just the running lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:05 AM   #65
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Anyone know the difference between just adding the LED fog light conversion and the retrofit kit?

BMW 63132358310
      05-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #66
TrickyT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Anyone know the difference between just adding the LED fog light conversion and the retrofit kit?

BMW 63132358310
Depending on the retrofit kit, it's probably just an LED replacement, without changing the housing and having proper cutoff.
Appreciate 0