F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > HK Amplifier Programming Aborted, Dealer not so competent... what can I do?
Studio RSR

06-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
zippyzebras
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i, Fiat 124 Spider

HK Amplifier Programming Aborted, Dealer not so competent... what can I do?

Posted in the wrong forum earlier:
Short version: HK amplifier coding aborted, likely stuck in programming, what can I do? Is there a battery reset or something?

Long version:

My rear glass on a 435i convertible was vandalized, then as luck would have it, while that was being taken care of I was hit by an off-call ambulance avoiding a parked car.

While fixing the ambulance damage, the BMW Certified Collision Center took it to their Service Department (both part of the same dealership) to code a new headlight, and the Service Department "helpfully" tried to code other modules... which resulted in a failed HK amplifier programming

Because of the missing back glass there's a code for a broken link between the antenna aerial and the antenna amplifier in the door sill.

This allegedly caused the dealer's tool to error out, but also left my amplifier unprogrammed, and I presume it's currently stuck in programming mode.

-

Now here's the tough problem. The dealer is misunderstanding the codes.

They think the HK amplifier is dead dead because it doesn't show up in their diagnostic... well that's because it's in programming mode:

Code 1: Amplifier programming aborted
Code 2: FM2 antenna link to aerial amplifier broken.

You might see where this is headed...

Two amplifiers in two completely different parts of the car, but they assume that it's two codes for one amplifier, the HK amplifier, and so a broken link = it's dead.

-

a) it's not dead or the MOST bus would be broken and I'd have way more issues than a simple "no warning tones" error. I can literally see the thing running in my trunk with MOST lighting up.

b) there's no water back there. I had the window sealed tight with removable putty and thick plastic wrap while the glass is ordered specifically because I know how screwed I'll be if water gets into the electronics on a BMW

c) they're confusing two completely unrelated amplifiers. One is in the door sill and attached to the FM radio, that's the one with the code and is totally unaffected by the missing glass. The HK amplifier has no codes because it's in programming mode...

-

So my questions now are:

a) can I get the amp out of programming mode without the dealer's help

b) is there a shop in NY/PA/NJ/CT that would have the tools to fix this?

c) is there some way I can hand hold them to the right solution here?

Realistically this should be on the dealer. But they programmed it during an insurance repair, so now they're talking supplements to pay for a new HK amplifier. The repair is already at 11k, I'm worried Geico is going to total this car if they start this game of throwing hardware at a problem they don't understand.

I have a sneaking suspicion if the amplifier could just be kicked out of programming mode 99% of my issues would disappear. I can get someone else to learn the headlight (which, after all this, they failed to do)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzebras View Post
a) can I get the amp out of programming mode without the dealer's help?
I can’t guarantee, but you can try it yourself with E-Sys.
For that you need an ENET OBD Cable and E-Sys + psdzdata.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Double post. Pick one forum to post in and stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
zippyzebras
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i, Fiat 124 Spider

I sent the dealer a detailed breakdown explaining the difference between these amplifiers, quoted the TIS, and explicitly wrote out what needs to happen (they need to reach out to BMW for assistance and code my amp, then wait for the glass repair to finish coding)

I figure before bringing in a 3rd party I should at least try and get them to "see the light", since even if someone else fixes the issues, I'm 100% sure they'll use it as an excuse to wiggle out of the usual warranty on repairs (they already tried to blame this on "suspected engine tuning" but I shut down that bit of stupidity immediately)

Link to the timeline I sent in case anyone thinks I should add something to assist them, but I think I covered everything involved here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Double post. Pick one forum to post in and stick with it.
Literally the first line of the post man.
Appreciate 0