F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47 Timing Chain
Extreme Powerhouse

09-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #1
kuuzu
Rep
Drives: E82 125i MSport

Angry N47 Timing Chain

Hi all,

I've received the dreaded timing chain snap... at 45k miles.
Now this is absolutely ridiculous - anyone have an idea of what cost im looking at?

Its a late 2012 model, with a full service every year at BMW.
What is the chance of goodwill?

I'm just extremely worried at the price point at this stage, and I've only had the car for 4 months (5k miles)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuzu View Post
I've received the dreaded timing chain snap... at 45k miles.
Now this is absolutely ridiculous - anyone have an idea of what cost im looking at?

Its a late 2012 model, with a full service every year at BMW.
What is the chance of goodwill?

I'm just extremely worried at the price point at this stage, and I've only had the car for 4 months (5k miles)
I think the chance of some goodwill is high, have seen a couple posts regarding that. Look in the UK forum for more. The engine is probably toast, so it's quite pricey.

I believe that the USA/CA engines have the latest updates that pretty much alleviate the timing chain problem. The new B58/48/46 engines use a rear-position timing chain, too, so they better have their shit together.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
nik patel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Pro G20

Hi

Did you get this sorted?
      05-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
Gazph1
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-Series 1.8se diesel

My timing chain has just gone on a 2008 1 series N47 eng, my car was on the list of those that could get it done.
Contacted BMW uk about the problem, they said,
The Quality Enchantment for the timing chain has expired, this ran from January 2015 – January 2016 and was carried out when a vehicle is presented to an Approved BMW Centre for servicing, repairs or general maintenance .
They never tell anyone about these so they don’t have to carry out the work.
I’m amazed the DVLA have not taken a keen interest in this as it really is a safety issue, last thing you need is your chain going at high speed on a motorway, it’s not as if it’s only one or two hundred but it’s in the thousands. Shame on BMW and DVLA for not sorting this ongoing problem out earlier.

People should park out at their BMW showroom with posters in their car for what BMW stands for,
B = Buy Rubbish
M = Money Pit
W= Wish I’d bought a reliable car

This is what it feels like, aftercare service from BMW uk is non existent,as long as they can fob you off or not commit to anything,then they are happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:41 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazph1 View Post
My timing chain has just gone on a 2008 1 series N47 eng, my car was on the list of those that could get it done.
Contacted BMW uk about the problem, they said,
The Quality Enchantment for the timing chain has expired, this ran from January 2015 – January 2016 and was carried out when a vehicle is presented to an Approved BMW Centre for servicing, repairs or general maintenance .
They never tell anyone about these so they don’t have to carry out the work.
I’m amazed the DVLA have not taken a keen interest in this as it really is a safety issue, last thing you need is your chain going at high speed on a motorway, it’s not as if it’s only one or two hundred but it’s in the thousands. Shame on BMW and DVLA for not sorting this ongoing problem out earlier.

People should park out at their BMW showroom with posters in their car for what BMW stands for,
B = Buy Rubbish
M = Money Pit
W= Wish I’d bought a reliable car

This is what it feels like, aftercare service from BMW uk is non existent,as long as they can fob you off or not commit to anything,then they are happy.
As far as I can tell, you went out and bought a 10 year old car, and, only AFTER something major failed on it did you go and do any research at all. And then decided to blame someone else for your initial lack of research.

All of this could have been avoided by doing the research BEFORE purchase. You'd have been in a position to check up with BMW as to whether the timing chain had been done, was supposed to be done, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Now that wasn't very constructive was it!