F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > XDrive tyre wear front vs rear
Studio RSR

10-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #45
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

This will be my first winter with x-drive. On my previous RWD BMWs I have been stuck in my own street quite a few times with even an inch of snow, because of the slight incline. I have no intention of getting winter tyres as the weather here in Newcastle is not bad enough. (2010 being the exception)
If there is any snow I will drive very slowly and hopefully will be able to pull away if I have to stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #46
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Bloody hell, I’m on 43k and changed my rears twice already! You must have done virtually all those miles sitting on motorways?
Try to drive in straight lines and not brake

Yes mainly motorway miles with some towing - also use ecopro + cruise most of the time .However the f30 and previous golf excellent compared to OH ex-fiesta - same type of driving but tyres only lasted 28k even with rotating and brakes needed changing after 42k - I've still got 5mm on the f30 fronts
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #47
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hey,

Im from Sweden but thought I'd answer the question somewhat eitherway.

I just changed back to wintertires on my F36 X-drive and found out that in my case the rear tires were worn out so I have to replace them until next spring. The fronts are impressively good so they will work one more season.

The setup I had was 245/35/20 on fronts and 275/30/20 on the rears. Tires being Falken FK510. (Used for approx 30 000km during 2017 only)

I was also in the thought that the tires would wear about the same in both front and rear..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
I was also in the thought that the tires would wear about the same in both front and rear..
So may variables... Will depend on the grip levels of the rear tyres, and how much xDrive is required to transfer a high percentage of the torque to the front wheels.

You mention running 275 section on the rear. You could have a softer compound on the wider section, often the case, can be the way to improve the level of grip on a wider tyre, compared to a 'normal' width. Tyre width in itself doesn't necessarily mean there is more traction grip.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 11-05-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #49
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So may variables... Will depend on the grip levels of the rear tyres, and how much xDrive is required to transfer a high percentage of the torque to the front wheels.
Yepp, exactly why I decided to share this in this thread where some are having greater wear in the fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You mention running 275 section on the rear. You could have a softer compound on the wider section, often the case, can be the way to improve the level of grip on a wider tyre, compared to a 'normal' width. Tyre width in itself doesn't necessarily mean there is more traction grip.
Hmm, very interesting thought. Never really thought about that being a posible factor. But I would still imagine that it should be more or less the same wear on the cars running OEM specs (225 fronts and 255 rears) if talking about the width itself.. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #50
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
Hmm, very interesting thought. Never really thought about that being a posible factor. But I would still imagine that it should be more or less the same wear on the cars running OEM specs (225 fronts and 255 rears) if talking about the width itself.. :P
There is another factor which can have impact on rear tyre wear rates, simply the geometry. I'm aware of users with high toe settings, wear off rear tyres, (even with uniform wear patterns), in very low miles. Less than 10k miles in one case on an E39. If that is involved with some users, it could make 'front to rear' wear ratios look very strange, for a particular driving style.
Appreciate 0