F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice required please, re feasibility of cancelling an order
ARMA SPEED

07-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Advice required please, re feasibility of cancelling an order

This is maybe a delicate question, or am I worrying about nothing? Either way, I feel slightly silly to have to ask for advice regarding this matter.

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and paid a deposit, but since that time whilst generally trying to find as much info on the car (X3 M40d) as possible I've come across a few other people interested in the same car who have left me thinking that maybe I didn't get such a good deal on it. I'm not expecting the best deal in the world, I just want to feel as if I've got a fair deal, which is not a feeling I'm getting right now.

It's a new model in an existing range, but I'm hearing that around 11% discount is already possible. I'm equating the discount I received to be around 5%.

My question is; is cancelling an order and getting a deposit back an easy thing, or will I have a battle on my hands?

Any advice, or knowledge of this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'd say you'd have a challenge getting it back. Did you pay on credit card and could you get it back that way maybe?
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

A lot will depend on whether the order was done entirely remotely (distance selling regulations) or not - also exactly how long ago you placed the order (the 'cooling-off' period IF the distance selling regulations apply is tightly defined in law).

But in general, no. 'buyer's remorse' is not a good reason in law to cancel the deal.

The dealer MIGHT agree to a cancellation and refund, or they might tell you to do one, they're keeping your deposit.
In extremis, you have signed a legally binding contract, and they could even quite legally force you to take delivery of the car.
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

You shouldn't have a hassle with a premium marquee mate, just run a quote on carwow and let the salesman know you've found substantially better deals (which i bet you will on carwow) and unless they match you will have to withdraw
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

How much deposit, and was it on finance? Reason I ask is that (I believe - would have to check) you have a cooling off period? Not sure if that would apply, it'd be written in the contract.

Also you could calculate how much discount you would save on, say, coast2coast or whoever and use that as a guide to cutting losses and run (if you can get out of the overall contract, not just the deposit).

There again, as said above, the best plan might be go back to dealer and say you're gonna bail unless you get some extra %age, but you'd have to have a leg to stand on otherwise (as also said) they may tell you to do one.

Good luck - keep us posted :-)
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Having said that ...

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/is-my...ndable-asktce/

:-/

Perhaps cap in hand and wanting to have a long term relationship "please sir can I have some more" may be best. I'd personally shoot for the top guy versus the model salesperson.
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I would just be up front with them mate. From what people have said in the past, they have had no issues cancelling the deal for whatever reason.

Tell him straight you have had a better offer via coast2coast or similar and he either matches it or you are cancelling the order. Don't mention deposit at that point and see what he says.

If you do end up losing your deposit, which I very much doubt, it should be a big enough offset with the discount you get from a broker so you are still in pocket.

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I thought I remember seeing you say you got a quote from C2C a while ago, why didn't you go with them then?

You also need to look at whole package, a broker won't be interested in p/ex or only at below trade figure plus dealer they use can be miles away and probably less contact from dealer with updates etc, you may also find the dealer will take orders even though no stock is allocated so you could wait longer, if none of that a issue a broker is the way to go
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all of your replies. I have been thinking along the lines of what most have said; cap-in-hand, look at the gain against the possible loss of deposit. It’s my fault for not walking away and making them work a bit harder - I normally do all this research first! I suppose it’s because it’s not yet released, nor is it even on the configurator, so I found it hard to have an angle as a comparison, or any leverage. The only card up my sleeve now is that my wife still wants a new car... but not just yet....!

Well, thanks again for the replies. I have found them useful and will now try to formulate an angle of approach.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
I thought I remember seeing you say you got a quote from C2C a while ago, why didn't you go with them then?

You also need to look at whole package, a broker won't be interested in p/ex or only at below trade figure plus dealer they use can be miles away and probably less contact from dealer with updates etc, you may also find the dealer will take orders even though no stock is allocated so you could wait longer, if none of that a issue a broker is the way to go
You did indeed, Sir. The problem is, I’d already pulled the trigger. Again, my fault, as I wasn’t aware how useful these other broker websites were. I only started digging because others were talking about the deals that they’d got - literally days later, which was a bit of a bummer!

The story is... C2C referred my enquiry to Sytner at High Wycombe, who phoned me within minutes! I laid my cards on the table and told them I’d actually already done a dal with another Sytner but completed the C2C enquiry out of curiosity. He said, no problem, I’ll make a few phone calls and get your order transferred over to us and match the deal. Happy days... I asked him, how come I didn’t get the discount form my own dealer in the first place, he said that he was doing me a good deal. He said “To be honest, if someone comes into our showroom we don’t normally give those sorts of discounts. It’s just that C2C gives us that little bit of extra business that we wouldn’t normally get, so we honour the deals”.

So basically people who go through brokers get better deals that long-term customers. Reminds of another company with a three letter name, beginning with S and ending in Y.

Any ways... He called me back a few hours later and said... Ooo, I’ve spoken to my manager and we can’t really do internal poaching, it causes a lot of friction within the group. So, that was that!

My tip to anyone who is thinking of buying a car; don’t do the deal on the day that the salesman thinks it’s going to happen - make them wait a while, unless you actually know it’s a blinder. Why the hell did I not do this??? I’m normally unfazed by most things and don’t roll over easily! Maybe they put rohipnal in my coffee?!

Jeez, I can’t believe I did the deal on the day! What a schmuck
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

2 years ago I cancelled my M140i order. Hadn't yet gone into production, dealer was able to reuse the build slot, no loss suffered so they were happy to return my deposit. I'd read the car expert guide and even though I'd signed in showroom, was ready for the worst.

You'll probably be ok. As has been said above, be honest about finding a better deal and your intention is to cancel if it can't be matched. Given the M40d is pre-production it won't be worth their hassle to withhold your deposit.

Good luck.
      07-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Advice required please, re feasibility of cancelling an order

Yes that is a tricky one, I am sure as others have said there would be no problem cancelling with such a large dealer but then what do you do? If Coast2Coast only deal with Sytner you will be in the same position, you could also try Carwow, they have multiple dealers

First I would try to get the price down to the C2C quote, you never know it may work or even speak to C2C to tell them the dealer didn't honour their quote, they presumably have not been paid any commission because of that?

I tend to buy online now as I am a sucker for the sales pitch as well
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Go back to them and nicely and politely tell them that they told you 5% was the best discount available but everywhere else is offering 11% so you feel you have been misled and will cancel the order unless they match that discount.
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      07-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As said above it’s a cAse of being nice to them and hoping they will play ball.

If you’ve signed a contract and they want to be twats about it they can also ask for any loss in revenue from them having to resell your spec car to someone else. Have a read of the back page of the contract.

Had similar on mine when the dealer refinanced my car on to a higher APR as I asked them to hang onto the car as it arrived early to get the new reg. in fairness Sytner’s increased the discount given so I wasn’t disadvantaged overall

Good luck with getting it sorted