F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

11-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #4071
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konradical6 View Post
Is there a way to power up the unit without installing it. Buying a used unit and want to see it working. I've seen videos with people showing it powered on uninstalled.
I do not have mine in front of me now, but there was a thicker yellow wire (12V) that you can locate going to the inline fuse/transformer box. There is also the black GROUND wire there. I powered mine through this connection:

The safest way is to trace the 12V and Ground wire from your quadlock to the wiring harness or the fuse/transformer box. Google your quadlock's pin wiring for CIC, or NBT, or other HUs. The Android draws about 0.5-1A max.

Last edited by fe7565; 11-17-2021 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #4072
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a way to power up the unit without installing it. Buying a used unit and want to see it working. I've seen videos with people showing it powered on uninstalled.
You can supply power via the quadlock connector:
pin 15 - 12V
pin 12 - GND

...and please don't post same question over two threads in the future. Just stick to the relevant thread, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #4073
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac110 View Post
Hey guys

I've had my android navigation unit running android 9 since 2019 not even realising there existed a whole community on this forum regarding mods and updates, going through these pages has been a revelation for sure lol.

I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to help, I've recently managed to get the android unit into recovery mode when it starts. Unfortunately, it's only option on the recovery screen is try again or perform a factory reset using the volume up and down buttons etc. I am unable to select either option due to no buttons and connecting a USB keyboard has not worked.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding booting the unit with a fresh android or if there is a way to boot it without losing my original data?

Much Appreciated.

Zac
Here is a video made by kri, your recovery screen might look different but the navigation principle should be the same.

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #4074
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Quote:
You can supply power via the quadlock connector:
pin 15 - 12V
pin 12 - GND

...and please don't post same question over two threads in the future. Just stick to the relevant thread, thank you.
Ok thank you. Apologies for double post
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:18 AM   #4075
Zac110
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Here is a video made by , your recovery screen might look different but the navigation principle should be the same.

Thanks RedErik, I tried this I cannot move the selection up or down but clicking on try again highlights the selection but after that swiping up down left and right does nothing and the screen remains unresponsive.

I've attached the image below to show this

Is there a way to reboot the system using a USB update that could work?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:34 AM   #4076
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks RedErik, I tried this I cannot move the selection up or down but clicking on try again highlights the selection but after that swiping up down left and right does nothing and the screen remains unresponsive.

I've attached the image below to show this

Is there a way to reboot the system using a USB update that could work?
If you are absolutely certain that you have Snapdragon 625 unit running Android 9 then you could use the latest update (3.9.8) and use it for OTA recovery, it should work. However if your unit is not a genuine Snapdragon 625 running KSW software then you most likely going to brick it by using 3.9.8 update file.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #4077
Zac110
Rep

Quote:
If you are absolutely certain that you have Snapdragon 625 unit running Android 9 then you could use the latest update (3.9.8) and use it for OTA recovery, it should work. However if your unit is not a genuine Snapdragon 625 running KSW software then you most likely going to brick it by using 3.9.8 update file.

You're really helpful RedErik, thanks so much. When I bought the unit the Chinese seller had stated it was android 9 and had a MSM 8953 chip which I believe is snapdragon.

As I'm a complete newbie are you able to point me in the right direction to show how to do the ota recovery procedure?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #4078
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
You're really helpful RedErik, thanks so much. When I bought the unit the Chinese seller had stated it was android 9 and had a MSM 8953 chip which I believe is snapdragon.

As I'm a complete newbie are you able to point me in the right direction to show how to do the ota recovery procedure?

Many thanks
MSM8953 is the development board that takes a few SoC. Does your system info screen look like on of these on the left?

If your answer is yes then you have a genuine Snapdragon unit running KSW software.

OTA recovery guide can be found here - first post, last paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:58 AM   #4079
Zac110
Rep

Quote:
MSM8953 is the development board that takes a few SoC. Does your system info screen look like on of these on the left?

If your answer is yes then you have a genuine Snapdragon unit running KSW software.

OTA recovery guide can be found here - first post, last paragraph.
Yeah absolutely my unit had the screen on the left. Thanks again. Just checked the post you referred me to. Am I right in thinking I have to upgrade to android 10 from 9 for the recovery procedure to work
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #4080
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah absolutely my unit had the screen on the left. Thanks again. Just checked the post you referred me to. Am I right in thinking I have to upgrade to android 10 from 9 for the recovery procedure to work
No, you don't have to. You can follow the procedure but use Android 9 image instead. Just change Q to P in file name and you're good to go. Like this: Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip

You can check the changelog for Android 10 update files, but if I were you I wouldn't bother with A10 at all... none of these updates are meaningful and you would be much better off installing a custom launcher instead, like ID7 Launcher or iDrive Launcher, and completely disregarding the Chinese stuff which is very poorly coded and lacks any customisation.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #4081
Zac110
Rep

Quote:
No, you don't have to. You can follow the procedure but use Android 9 image instead. Just change Q to P in file name and you're good to go. Like this: Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip

You can check the changelog for Android 10 update files, but if I were you I wouldn't bother with A10 at all... none of these updates are meaningful and you would be much better off installing a custom launcher instead, like ID7 Launcher or iDrive Launcher, and completely disregarding the Chinese stuff which is very poorly coded and lacks any customisation.

Thanks so much for your input on this. I feel like you've saved me from getting another unit. Hopefully the recovery works and the unit is able to boot again. I'm not too concerned about android 10 as version 9 was working perfectly. Final question, do you know where the file is which I have to put onto the USB, silly of me not to find unless I've missed it from the post you told me about.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #4082
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks so much for your input on this. I feel like you've saved me from getting another unit. Hopefully the recovery works and the unit is able to boot again. I'm not too concerned about android 10 as version 9 was working perfectly. Final question, do you know where the file is which I have to put onto the USB, silly of me not to find unless I've missed it from the post you told me about.
Yeah it's not very clear... it's hiding in A10 share over here - Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.9.8-ota.zip
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #4083
Zac110
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's not very clear... it's hiding in A10 share over here - Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.9.8-ota.zip

Thanks RedErik will try to recover the system and report back.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #4084
klepic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You would need to follow online guides and tutorials for eSYS, there is simply too mach to explain in a single post.

I cannot help you with the warning message. Normally you should be able to replace that whit whatever image you want, but I don't know how to do that properly on your unit.

You cannot see mode changes while in Android. Android simply doesn't support that. In fact Android doesn't support any of the iDrive features - you won't see your service history, modes, economy, vehicle settings etc. None of that is supported. Android is just a separate system that hooks up to car's CAN bus to access buttons and pull some very basic information like ignition state etc.

Usually Snapdragon units have these awful gauges to show speed and RPM, but if you're looking for power and torque, again, this data is not available to Android.
Thanks again for clear answers, mate. I really appretiate it. Is there some specific ylutube video where you can point me to find additional data to code with eSYS my headunit to 8.8''?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #4085
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klepic View Post
Thanks again for clear answers, mate. I really appretiate it. Is there some specific ylutube video where you can point me to find additional data to code with eSYS my headunit to 8.8''?
I don't know mate, I would be googling it the same way as you would. I spent many hours searching, reading and watching on how to use eSYS. Start with a simple tutorial like this one and then look for the module you're interested in and see what you can code.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #4086
Zac110
Rep

Hi RedErik

I wanted to report back. Unfortunately the update did not work because the USB was not being picked up by the HU.

However I managed to restore the factory settings by using a USB keyboard which was not working before. Basically you have to hold down the Alt key and print screen key along with the letter i or e and then use the d pad to make the selection. Hopefully this may be useful for anyone else looking for a solution.

Anyway I managed to run into a new issue. There is no Sound from the HU when using Spotify or any app. I made sure the Aux was selected in the original idrive settings but no joy. Any ideas as to what could have happened?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #4087
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi RedErik

I wanted to report back. Unfortunately the update did not work because the USB was not being picked up by the HU.

However I managed to restore the factory settings by using a USB keyboard which was not working before. Basically you have to hold down the Alt key and print screen key along with the letter i or e and then use the d pad to make the selection. Hopefully this may be useful for anyone else looking for a solution.

Anyway I managed to run into a new issue. There is no Sound from the HU when using Spotify or any app. I made sure the Aux was selected in the original idrive settings but no joy. Any ideas as to what could have happened?
Thanks for the update 👍

As for sound issue, this will sound trivial but make sure you have volume sliders all the way (or mostly all the way) up. There are two places for adjusting that: Android volume and KSW settings volume. Then there are factory settings where you can select amplifier type, not sure how exactly it affects the sound by you can select between OEM and aftermarket amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:37 AM   #4088
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Then there are factory settings where you can select amplifier type, not sure how exactly it affects the sound by you can select between OEM and aftermarket amplifier.
Steering wheel volume buttons stopped working when I selected the "wrong" amplifier option.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 05:01 AM   #4089
elmonch
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by murzik View Post
Another problem with v3.9.4, seems does not want to keep some system settings. Hot spot turns on on start up automatically, can't disable, still turns on again after reboot. Very annoying.
Is it safe to reset from Android menu or System info? or the only safe way to reset is with software flash?
I have the same issue.
i can see WiFi on just after booting, but 5 secs later it switches off and I have tu switch it on again manualy.
Did you manage to fix this?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 05:08 AM   #4090
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmonch View Post
I have the same issue.
i can see WiFi on just after booting, but 5 secs later it switches off and I have tu switch it on again manualy.

Thank you
Check if you have Zlink enabled in Factory Settings. If you do and you're not using it, just disable it - it has priority for WiFi.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #4091
elmonch
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Check if you have Zlink enabled in Factory Settings. If you do and you're not using it, just disable it - it has priority for WiFi.
Done
Working fine now!
Thanks for the advice mate
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #4092
dennis_d
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 M-Paket

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmonch View Post
I have the same issue.

Thank you
Hi there,
I have a 10.25 inch Android display in my F31, which no longer starts and only shows "No Signal". Is there any way I can get the device back?

Thanks and regards
Dennis
Appreciate 0