F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW F36 Harmon kardon sound issue
GetBMWParts

11-29-2021, 04:28 AM   #1
eng646
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

BMW F36 Harmon kardon sound issue

Hello everybody,
this is my first post here and hopefully I get some help from expert or someone had simile experience

I have BMW F36 2019 with HK system (600w), I’m having an issue with the sound, when I start the engine no sound from speakers at all (Radio, Bluetooth, music, parking sensor, seat belt …etc) until then I turn off the car (wait 2 min) and turn it on then i get the sound back and sometimes no luck !!

I checked fuse box and no blown fuse, I took it to dealership twice and no fault code founded during the scanning

few things to notice:

I don't experience sound cut when it's working, so it either work or not work.
sometimes I turn the car on, sound works normally and sometimes doesn't.
I checked the AMP location and didn't notice anything unusual such humidity, water leak, burnt wire or dots ...etc.

I'm really so confused with the problem and can't believe there is a problem in the AMP as I didn't make any change, upgrade, coding, retrofit to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng646 View Post
Hello everybody,
this is my first post here and hopefully I get some help from expert or someone had simile experience

I have BMW F36 2019 with HK system (600w), I’m having an issue with the sound, when I start the engine no sound from speakers at all (Radio, Bluetooth, music, parking sensor, seat belt …etc) until then I turn off the car (wait 2 min) and turn it on then i get the sound back and sometimes no luck !!

I checked fuse box and no blown fuse, I took it to dealership twice and no fault code founded during the scanning

few things to notice:

I don't experience sound cut when it's working, so it either work or not work.
sometimes I turn the car on, sound works normally and sometimes doesn't.
I checked the AMP location and didn't notice anything unusual such humidity, water leak, burnt wire or dots ...etc.

I'm really so confused with the problem and can't believe there is a problem in the AMP as I didn't make any change, upgrade, coding, retrofit to the car.
That sounds very frustrating. Electronic problems usually aren't intermittent. They typically work or don't work. You've already done most of the troubleshooting that I would recommend.

Since it sounds like the entire amplifier is either on or off, it sounds like a single wire or connector that's flaky. If it was a secondary amplifier I would suspect the low voltage wire that signals the amplifier to turn on or off with the ignition circuit. If something like that had a loose wire or connector on either end, it could act that way.

There are wires in the cable harness that function that way. Maybe you have a similar problem either at the HK amplifier end or at the head end behind the dash. Since the amplifier is easier to get to in the trunk, I'd try there first.

The HK amplifier is in the left trunk alcove. I'd carefully remove interior panels to access the amplifier. Then I would disconnect each wiring harness connection one by one and remove the HK amplifier. Takes photos along the process and of the amp so you have model and serial number if it ever needs replacement.

Then carefully reinstall the amplifier. Check every single connector to make sure that all of the wires entering the connector are tight. And look carefully at all of the pins in cable connectors and in the connectors on the HK amplifier. Look for any bent or broken pins that might cause an intermittent connection. Carefully fix any that are out of place. A small jewelers screwdriver set from a pharmacy works well for this.

Go through and reseat each cable until you completely reinstall the HK amplifier. Make sure it works and reinstall interior panels and trim. Hopefully that fixes the problem. It could also be something similar behind the dash with the connectors to the audio head unit.

I'll attach photos of my HK amplifier when I removed it for a secondary amplifier installation.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:59 AM   #3
eng646
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
That sounds very frustrating. Electronic problems usually aren't intermittent. They typically work or don't work. You've already done most of the troubleshooting that I would recommend.

Since it sounds like the entire amplifier is either on or off, it sounds like a single wire or connector that's flaky. If it was a secondary amplifier I would suspect the low voltage wire that signals the amplifier to turn on or off with the ignition circuit. If something like that had a loose wire or connector on either end, it could act that way.

There are wires in the cable harness that function that way. Maybe you have a similar problem either at the HK amplifier end or at the head end behind the dash. Since the amplifier is easier to get to in the trunk, I'd try there first.

The HK amplifier is in the left trunk alcove. I'd carefully remove interior panels to access the amplifier. Then I would disconnect each wiring harness connection one by one and remove the HK amplifier. Takes photos along the process and of the amp so you have model and serial number if it ever needs replacement.

Then carefully reinstall the amplifier. Check every single connector to make sure that all of the wires entering the connector are tight. And look carefully at all of the pins in cable connectors and in the connectors on the HK amplifier. Look for any bent or broken pins that might cause an intermittent connection. Carefully fix any that are out of place. A small jewelers screwdriver set from a pharmacy works well for this.

Go through and reseat each cable until you completely reinstall the HK amplifier. Make sure it works and reinstall interior panels and trim. Hopefully that fixes the problem. It could also be something similar behind the dash with the connectors to the audio head unit.

I'll attach photos of my HK amplifier when I removed it for a secondary amplifier installation.

Hope this helps!

First of All, I really appreciate your detailed guidance and the effort to identify the issue. Unfortunately i've done all of that (plug and unplug the AMP), checking the car voltage and no issue found.
I also tried to look inside the AMP if anyhting burnt, yet nothing

I didnt check the head unit as you know it not so easy accessible

I have to say that: the car was left not driven for 2 months (I was travaling) and the issue happned after that when I turn on the car at first time, is that could mean something?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Make sure your battery is fully charged. When it's low on charge the power management system shuts down non-essential devices to allow more of the alternator output to go to the battery.
Quote:
I have to say that: the car was left not driven for 2 months (I was travaling) and the issue happned after that when I turn on the car at first time, is that could mean something?
There's no such thing as coincidence. You should have had a battery maintainer hooked up while you were gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng646 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps!

First of All, I really appreciate your detailed guidance and the effort to identify the issue. Unfortunately i've done all of that (plug and unplug the AMP), checking the car voltage and no issue found.
I also tried to look inside the AMP if anyhting burnt, yet nothing

I didnt check the head unit as you know it not so easy accessible

When cars are left sitting for a while, critters can also get in and they like to chew on wires. Just another possibility.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Mine got chewed pretty good by a mouse while in my garage. Since then I've kept mouse bait there. I found three carcasses in the garage this summer, who knows how many more went on a walkabout before passing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
eng646
Rep

just wondering if the battery had an issue since car was left sitting for a while, shouldn't I get any notification or even fault code via scanning? I'm trying to believe there is a voltage issue at starting but no indication? I tested the battery after parking the car for 5 hours and its fine (12.5 v) ? really so confused with the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I can't say from experience, I've never let my battery get drained. 12.5v after sitting 5 hours is within tolerance.
A low state of charge isn't the only explanation for your problem, it's just one possible explanation.
Appreciate 0