F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance exhaust HELP!
ARMA SPEED

09-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F32 6MT (MPPK, MPE)

M Performance exhaust HELP!

Hi all,

I have read plenty on here and other forums about the differences between the #339 and #340 versions of the M Performance exhaust for the F30/F32 335i/435i models and how the #340 version is vastly superior to the #339 despite being offered at the same price (sounds a lot better with better flow etc.)

I would like to clarify a few things if anyone can help me out.

I have a manual 435i and live in London. I already have the mppk and love it (having a manual I had to go for the softer version with only 430nm of torque but it still gives the car the kick of life I was looking for to make it feel like it should have come from the factory).

However, it does need to be louder and more confident! I was considering the MPE and was very excited after all the videos and reviews I have seen until the bmw parts guy gave me the spec sheet to have a look at... it clearly states that “according to traffic regulations (StVZO), [the #340 mpe is] only permitted for vehicles with automatic transmissions”. And so the only option I have for my manual is to go with the #339. Bummer!

After all the negative things I have read and heard on the #339 mpe, I am not prepared to splash out on what will likely be a disappointment. My questions, however are these...

1. StVZO appear to be German traffic regulations. As far as I can tell these are not actually applicable in the UK (please correct me if I am wrong!). Therefore, is there anything to stop me ordering the #340 mpe and having a 3rd party or myself fit it? Will the warranty still be intact if I don’t order and fit through the dealer and will they ever care or even find out if I fitted the wrong one?

2. Will I be breaking any equivalent laws here in the UK?

3. What leverage do you think I will have with my dealer on this point? Do you reckon I will be able to persuade them to fit the #340 based on the regulations not being applicable in the UK or do you think I will have some negotiating power on price since the #339 is an inferior product and can’t be justified at the same price as the #340?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
perryo91372.50
      09-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

TL;DR at bottom

I wish I could clear the "negative" press about the different muffler part numbers. All the part numbers sound exactly the same.

100% the same.

The problem is youtube videos are not consistent on the timing of when they record the revving.

With either part number, if you rev it within the first minute of turning it on (Cold OR warm), it will sound shitty because the valve is closed. I have a #340 WITH resonator deleted and it sounds crap.

However, once the valve opens it's beastly.

So if you watch videos carefully you'll notice that some #340's that sound "crappy" are exactly like older part numbers- "crappy" because the valve isnt opened yet.

I THINK the only difference in part numbers has to the with the tip design. I think the older ones dont work with the new stainless steel tip/CF covered tip.

Regarding about #340's not being allowed because of noise regulations... cmon seriously? I'm not from the UK but it's impossible to get pulled over with the cop suspecting a #340 muffler and then literally get on his back to actually look at it. So I think that's a load of BS.

IN THE END- just get what makes you happy, but in my opinion they are the same. You'll be fine either way. I went with the later PN because it was sold by a trust worthy person and I wanted the stainless tips.

TL;DR: Both PNs sound the same, videos are recorded when the valve is both closed and opened leading to confusion. I think the only difference is for compatibility of tip design.

Sorry for the long post. I just had to get it off my chest.
      09-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

I have a 2014 435i manual tranny and just got the MPE as well. I'm from Canada. Same thing happened to me, only the 339 came up in the parts list. I told the guy I want the 340, and he goes sure but do at your own risk. 30 minutes at home, the 340 version fits perfectly and sounds great.

If you read some older posts on the web, people with the 339 had the dealers swap to the 340 no issue. They are identical except maybe for the tip size I dunno. No one will ever know the diff for warranty purposes and I'm sure you won't be breaking laws. It's not that loud to begin with anyway.
Appreciate 1
perryo91372.50
      09-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i believe it has to do with this: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-...man-noise-laws
      09-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your responses.

silver28 glad to hear it fit and you are happy. I can't imagine there would be any (technical) risks of fitting the 340 to the 435i manual. If there are any I would like to hear about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
wdeerfield, I'm afraid I can't access that link. Please could you copy and paste the relevant part of the article on here?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, silver28, I can't seem to find much more about the 339 vs 340 on the internet apart from a few posts on here. Please could you post a link to the older posts you are referring to?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0