F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Remote control replacement options
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Remote control replacement options

One of my two remotes (kr55wk49863) died for my 2012 F30. It starts the car when placed against the key outline on the steering wheel column, but none of the buttons work anymore. Would other model number remotes work if programmed?

Replaced the battery, made sure the contacts touch, took apart the case and looked at the circuit board for obvious issues.

Not going to do the dealer option. One option is to buy a used OEM key on Ebay. As I understand this has to be wiped first OR(?) programmed by a locksmith. I was not aware that locksmith can do car key programming nowadays. Isn't there some legal issue there?

The second option is to buy an aftermarket EBay China clone with a circuit board that also needs to be programmed by a locksmith.

What about swapping out the (ROM or RF) chip from my existing broken remote into either a used OEM or China clone remote? Would they still need to be wiped and /or programmed?

Also, I read on the forum that programming may be possible with E-sys(?) b injecting my own CAS? If that is correct, where can I find the procedure to do that?

Thank you.

Last edited by fe7565; 10-26-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moos3.00
      10-31-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
RuleNormaliai
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 330E

Garage List
you need special tools to program a new key to your car, and it cost ~600€ for example CGDI or HEX Tag.
If you buy used key you have to virginize it and also program it with these tools mentioned before.
the best way is to go to some locksmith who is able to do it for you, you will save lots of money and time.
| MGU Patching/Virginizing | ConnectedDrive activation for US cars in EU (Only MGU/ATM2) | Feature Installer codes | Map Updates | CarPlay activations. | NBT EVO GPS Connector installs. | NBT EVO repairs | Remote BMW Coding |
Appreciate 2
fe7565552.50
Moos3.00