F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Steering Wheel Not Straight
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (F30-N55)

Steering Wheel Not Straight

I recently installed a BC Racing coilover kit on my BMW 335i F30 and now while driving the steering wheel is not 100% straight. Is there a way to fix this with these cars using electronic steering. When I had the car on jack stands installing the coilover kit I did have to manually turn it from time to time so I'm not sure if that can affect it?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

09-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineF30 View Post
I recently installed a BC Racing coilover kit on my BMW 335i F30 and now while driving the steering wheel is not 100% straight. Is there a way to fix this with these cars using electronic steering. When I had the car on jack stands installing the coilover kit I did have to manually turn it from time to time so I'm not sure if that can affect it?

Common practice after major suspension work is to do an alignment. Just make sure the the shop centers the steering wheel before starting the alignment.

If in a pinch, I believe tie-rods can be adjusted to help center the steering wheel, but those adjustments would also affect toe.
      09-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
RedlineF30
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (F30-N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
Common practice after major suspension work is to do an alignment. Just make sure the the shop centers the steering wheel before starting the alignment.

If in a pinch, I believe tie-rods can be adjusted to help center the steering wheel, but those adjustments would also affect toe.
I was just waiting for my new rims to arrive which they now are on the car but the car is not pulling to either side, it's just drives straight with a slight turn on the steering wheel. I was thinking when I manually moved the direction when I had the wheels off that it may affect this if the car is started and the wheels were not perfectly straight maybe.
      09-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
bmw310
Rep
Drives: 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
Just make sure the the shop centers the steering wheel before starting the alignment..
Isn't that standard practice to center the steering wheel before they do that? What shop does alignment without centering the steering wheel?
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      09-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw310 View Post
Isn't that standard practice to center the steering wheel before they do that? What shop does alignment without centering the steering wheel?
BMW main dealers apparently if my recent rack replacement is anything to go by... Yes, they did fix it but only after making me wait over two weeks for their next slot!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineF30 View Post

Not totally sure what the BMW set up is like as I'm much more familiar with Subaru stuff but the most likely reason for this is either the heights aren't even or you've not got the camber set evenly side to side. If you've not changed/touched the track rods then these are the only two bits that can really have been impacted by your install. The PAS is electric but only in the way normal stuff is hydraulic, the actual connection from wheel to rack is still physical and so the steering wheel alignment won't have been altered by any amount of left/right wheel twirling while working on it.
Appreciate 0