F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmer Tech MMI & Smart View-REVIEW-
Studio RSR

02-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Well I wanted to share my experience and write a review. Pretty sure everyone is familiar with Bimmer Tech at this point .
I mainly wanted a backup camera, since my last F30 had one and my current F30 does not I missed it a lot.

I chose Bimmer Tech as they make a quality product and have a great reputation. I will tell you right away Patryk is phenomenal to deal with and he responds to emails in minutes, sometimes literally it's an instant reply. Kudos to you for that I know you're 7 hours ahead of my central time

Product took 8 days to reach me in Chicago from Dubai via DHL. Packaging was 1st class

I opted to go with the MMI as you can add on later other options. Well the smart view mirroring device is a no brainier at this point for $175 bucks. They run promos all the time and you can get a nice 15% off if you go on their web page.

The install I did, it's fairly straight forward but a fair warning (no instructions) with the kit. You must email Patryk and he'll shoot you an email with directions. It is time consuming so set aside a free day for this.

The great thing is it's all plug and play, no guess work really. The hardest part will be routing the wiring and stowing it behind the head unit can be a bitch if you have I drive. Lots of wiring to stow so be creative.
If you have the standard Entry Screen this will be a snap, ton of room under the main head unit.

The backup camera quality is superb, dynamic lines function as oem. High quality picture. You can choose half screen or full wide screen by pressing down for 3 seconds on your I drive knob.

Smart view works well, this can be a handy thing for mirroring 3rd party apps. Phenomenal for Waze on your I drive monitor or even with JB4 & kinnect when you buy their app. You can watch the gauges real time which is very cool.

Lag: yes there will be lag, it's a mirroring device that is converting HD signals to AV output via wifi. The lag varies from phone to phone. My iPhone 6 had less lag then my 6S+. Lag will be experienced only with 3rd party apps and video recording. Soundcloud and MusicTv will lag, in my case they do. The more you use Waze the less laggy it becomes which is nice.

Don't expect HD quality from mirroring, again it's an AV cable, so all you UHD and 4K junkies you will take a walk to some inferior times and technology
Don't get it if you must have HD, this isn't for you then.

You ask yourself is it worth it? Yes the mirroring is worth it to me. Kinda dumb to pass it up since the car will be apart anyway, what's an extra 10 min to route and Install it.

Switching between AV1-AV2-AV3 can be done via hitting the talk button on your steering whee, holding menu down for 3 sec on the I drive, hitting #8 on the radio, or simply use the IR remote with a provided IR receiver and simply press ok. Settings are found in the menu or hold left arrow for 3 seconds and there is another setting menu. All straightforward and seamless.

Final Verdict:
It's totally worth it. Great product behind a great team with great customer service. It's seamless and developed with BMW integration in mind. I'd do it all over again but I'd also opt for the front mount camera. Very happy with the end result.

I'll just add some photos of some mirroring images and what the reverse picture looks like.
Attached Images

02-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
rajan29
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M SPORT

Hi, i want to buy MMI,Rear view camera with smartview as well but i couldn't find their 15% promo on their web page. Could you please help me out. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
JujuF30
BMW newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Just installed mine over the weekend. Front n rear cam plus the mirroring kit.
Im going to exchange the mirrorview kit for another just to see if I can get that video lag minimized.
I bought this kit so I can actually use it for mirroring waze or google maps but it becomes unbearable when that lag seems to get longer n longer.
Hopefully exchanging the unit resolves this.
      02-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JujuF30
Just installed mine over the weekend. Front n rear cam plus the mirroring kit.
Im going to exchange the mirrorview kit for another just to see if I can get that video lag minimized.
I bought this kit so I can actually use it for mirroring waze or google maps but it becomes unbearable when that lag seems to get longer n longer.
Hopefully exchanging the unit resolves this.
Are you getting it exchanged with Bimmer tech or you found another system? The Linux box is ok they provide but it's laggy no matter where I put the antenna. At times I wish I could just plug the phone in directly via lightning chord.
      03-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93

Is the lag bad enough to miss a turn if using google maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fherjohn View Post
Is the lag bad enough to miss a turn if using google maps?
It depends how often you use it. It seems to like it the more you use the interface. I would say initially it may be 3-4 sec lag where it pisses you off.
      03-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I was interested in this, specially because of the mirroring, how come no one brought up this lag issue before?? that's not good, is the lag bad enough that navigation through the phone will not be possible/accurate??
      03-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I was interested in this, specially because of the mirroring, how come no one brought up this lag issue before?? that's not good, is the lag bad enough that navigation through the phone will not be possible/accurate??
I dont know why no one has brought it up. I guarantee you if its the same module everyone will experience some type of lag. After all its a wifi signal and analog hardware. It hates WAZE its very laggy for me. The worst are sound cloud and music TV. THeyre unbearable via my iphone 6s+.
      03-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
JujuF30
BMW newbie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
I dont know why no one has brought it up. I guarantee you if its the same module everyone will experience some type of lag. After all its a wifi signal and analog hardware. It hates WAZE its very laggy for me. The worst are sound cloud and music TV. THeyre unbearable via my iphone 6s+.
It is really unbearable... The lag makes it useless. I did return mine after having no success with eliminating or at least shortening the lag... I moved the antenna so that it was literally next to my iphone6+, no success...the lag was still there & it kept getting worse. I kept the front & rear parking cams. Any other solutions would be welcomed.
      03-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
JujuF30
BMW newbie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Returned mine. No solution for the lag. Useless for any map app. Im using the iphone 6+, kept the front n rear cam. Great integration.