F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 513M WHEEL FITMENT Help on BMW 340i RWD M-Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2021, 12:12 AM   #1
hsohal24
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 340i

513M WHEEL FITMENT Help on BMW 340i RWD M-Sport

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase OEM 513M wheels that have the following spec:
18x9 ET 29 - Front
18x10 ET 40 - Rear

The thing I’m worried about is the tires poking outside the fenders and/or rubbing issues. I’m on stock M-Sport suspension and have not modified the height or suspension in any way. Is there any way we can eliminate the tires from poking out? If I had to drop the car it would be the Dinan lowering springs which lowers the car 1” front and 1” back. I just want the fitment of the wheels to be flush with the fenders and not have to drop the car lower than 1”. Are there any tire sizes you guys recommend? Does anyone have this setup and want to share pics with me? I’ve read through all the other threads on this topic and I just can’t get myself to buy these wheels because I fear that they will poke out a lot.

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

235/45/18 front, 265/40/18 rear, from stock height to mildly lowered, tires have least shoulder poke due to moderate stretch up front and mild stretch rear. taller sidewalls help reduce fenderwell gaps.

245/40/18 front, 275/35/18 rear, from mildly lowered to medium. lowering adds slight negative camber which reduces poke of the tires upper shoulder. here is an example...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1445526

if springs only drop, consider Eibach Pro-Kit and F80 bumpstops. Eibach Pro-Kit has best ride, fixes reverse rake(front springs lower more than rear), best for maintaining OEM damper lifespan since it has the mildest lowering.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2021, 04:54 AM   #3
Tommi_Mav
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Garage List
You will have exactly the same poke as OEM M437 wheels since they have exactly the same offset, only difference is the diameter (19" instead of 18"). You can check the thread about these wheels where you will find lots of pics of many of us who have installed the M437. There's no rubbing issue at all, but there is poking and depends on how much you are willing to tolerate as an end result.
But if you want wheels to be flush with fender lip, then I guess your only option is to go to aftermarket wheels with appropriate offset or different OEM wheels plus spacers.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #4
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

@hsohal24

Hopefully this answers your question.

Stock 18x9 255/40/18 front 18x10 275/40/18 rear m3 take offs. 513m wheels
Attached Images

MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 02:18 AM   #5
hsohal24
Rep

sqwinny Are you lowered? If so what on?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsohal24 View Post
Stock m sport suspension. I am rwd only. This is how much gap you have. An inch drop won't be an issue. I personally want to drop it maybe .5 if inch because daily driver + speed bumps + always running over random debris.
Attached Images

MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #7
hsohal24
Rep

sqwinny What rotors are you running? Reason I ask is because of all the photos of 513Ms on F30s I saw, I noticed that those that had the stock rotors had more tire poke than those that changed their rotors out. I see that your rotors are not stock too. What are they?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
japol
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Quote:
Stock m sport suspension. I am rwd only. This is how much gap you have. An inch drop won't be an issue. I personally want to drop it maybe .5 if inch because daily driver + speed bumps + always running over random debris.
Hi sqwinny,

I've been on the fence about getting the 513m's for the longest time. I have an F30 on m sport suspension like you. Would you happen to have more photos of the wheel and tire poke? I'm mainly worried about the tire poking out looking like mexiflush. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #9
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by japol View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi sqwinny,

I've been on the fence about getting the 513m's for the longest time. I have an F30 on m sport suspension like you. Would you happen to have more photos of the wheel and tire poke? I'm mainly worried about the tire poking out looking like mexiflush. Thanks!
Quote:
sqwinny What rotors are you running? Reason I ask is because of all the photos of 513Ms on F30s I saw, I noticed that those that had the stock rotors had more tire poke than those that changed their rotors out. I see that your rotors are not stock too. What are they?
M sport brake upgrade. The rotors are powerstop rotors.

No other pictures of the poke. It's really 100% flush and no mexiflush. Maybe sticks out 2-3mm but that's it
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:50 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
For those who may read this thread, rotor size has absolutely nothing to do with tire or wheel poke out of the wheel well. The only factors with poke are the wheel width, wheel offset, tire width, tire tread width. Nothing else matters
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by japol View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi sqwinny,

You don't say which car model or wheel/tires you have now. If you currently have the BMW 400M wheels that are 18x8 ET34 in front and you intend to install a wheel that is 18x9 ET29, then it's easy to calculate how much more the edge of the wheel rim will extend out of the wheel well.

The wheel is 1" wider so 1/2" of that will come out further. 1/2" = 12.7mm

The offset is 5mm less, so the wheel will stick out 5mm more due to the offset change.

So the wheel rim 9n the 18x9ET29 wheel will stick out 17.7mm more than stock.

17.7mm = 0.69 inches which is about 11/16". More than 5/8" but less than 3/4". So you could put a ruler edge on your current wheel lip and see exactly how much further the new wheel lip would stick out from the current wheel lip.

Tire width is another matter. Tires vary even if the size listed on their sidewall is identical. TireRack publishes the actual measured sizes in the Specs section for each tire.

From TireRack, collect the tire width and tire tread width from your existing tire model & size and also the tire model & size you intend to purchase for your new wheels. Subtract them from each other and take half that difference. Those are how much further the new tire width and tire tread width will stick out from the existing tire width and tread width. Just use a ruler the same way to see for yourself.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
For those who may read this thread, rotor size has absolutely nothing to do with tire or wheel poke out of the wheel well. The only factors with poke are the wheel width, wheel offset, tire width, tire tread width. Nothing else matters
Agreed. Overlooked the part that someone was asking rotors = change of wheel sizing + fitment which is NOT the case
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      07-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Overlooked the part that someone was asking rotors = change of wheel sizing + fitment which is NOT the case
Yes. I forgot to mention that most F3x's are fine with BMW 17" diameter wheels but the largest Brembo brakes in 370mm front and 345mm rear require a minimum of BMW 18" wheels to fit over them.

Again regardless of 17" or 18" diameter wheels, the poke out of the wheel well doesn't change unless the wheel width, wheel offset, tire width or tire tread width changes.
Appreciate 0