F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Plug and Play Amp upgrade for Base Audio system
Studio RSR

01-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318 M Sport

Plug and Play Amp upgrade for Base Audio system

Hi all, this isn’t a question, more a very simple solution I have found that I’d like to share and hopefully make someone’s life a little easier and their crap base audio system sound a little better.

Firstly, I’m not affiliated with Vibe. I’m just a guy with an F30 that has base audio and got to the stage where I wouldn’t listen to music because the sound system was crap.

I’ve seen a lot of threads in a lot of different forums talking about what upgrade can you do and what coding and wiring do they need to do so. I’ve researched the hell out of this so here’s my two cents for you all.

I just bought a Vibe Powerbox 65.4M with BMW T harness. It took about 25 minutes to fit. I had to remove the head unit so that meant removing some trim which was really only 6 torx head T15 (vids on YouTube of course). It came with clear and concise instructions so your technical level doesn’t need to be that high to hook it up. I placed the amp under the glove box between the underside of the glove box and the removable panel. It fit like a dream and no visible wires with enough room for it to breath.

I used BimmerCode to change my head unit EQ range to HiFi

As someone who’s always had good sound systems and was horrified by the quality of the base audio system, I can tell you that this upgrade is the best €210 I’ve spent. It powers the 4 door speakers and the two sub ls with no extra wiring.

Running the stock speakers, the difference is nuts. Although if you push them hard enough, they will crackle. I had to fine tune with gain on the amp for front and rear and mess with some settings on my Apple Music EQ but after that it’s just a matter of adjusting your bass and volume settings through your idrive sound options depending on what you listen to.

All in all this was a very simple and effective upgrade to a very lacklustre sound system. I’d recommend it to anyone and I hope this post does someone some good.
Appreciate 5
rytec2.50
x-m4n148.00
      01-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Thanks for posting this. There are not that many discussions about base audio upgrades on the forum (probably because this is not an available config in USCAN, good for them!)

Last edited by FastFrog; 01-19-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep

No hassle. I said I’d post it because I’ve had a long hard look at what upgrades were available to those on a budget. After shelling out 20k for the car, I wasn’t inclined to go and spend another 1500-2000 just on audio. I’ve been using it all day and apart from having to slightly adjust bass for different songs at different volumes, it’s absolutely mighty!
Appreciate 1
rytec2.50
      01-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Good to read.
I actually proceeded to an upgrade based on:
- Changing all the speakers (including subwoofers and adding front tweeters) for decent/high-end ones
- adding a Focal 4.320 D-class amp to drive the front speakers (4 ohms - 2x50W) and the subwoofers (2 ohms - 2x80W).
No plug and play, I did all the wiring (amp in the boot/trunk). The result is however quite underwhelming, reason why I keep an eye on similar topics.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

How about amp options for hifi system? I believe there are 3 tiers in the f3x audio? Basic, hifi, harmon kardon?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep

Well, this topic is vastly discussed on the contrary And the average answer is Go MATCH UP 7BMW (Hifi only, not applicable to HK)
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      01-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrog View Post
Good to read.
I actually proceeded to an upgrade based on:
- Changing all the speakers (including subwoofers and adding front tweeters) for decent/high-end ones
- adding a Focal 4.320 D-class amp to drive the front speakers (4 ohms - 2x50W) and the subwoofers (2 ohms - 2x80W).
No plug and play, I did all the wiring (amp in the boot/trunk). The result is however quite underwhelming, reason why I keep an eye on similar topics.
A speaker upgrade is next on the list. The existing subs are fairly decent to be fair. I did notice a bit of crackling from the door speakers when you give it too much to do, which can be expected. I wouldn’t say I was underwhelmed by the results. I’d go so far as to say I’m delighted with it. Fair play to you for getting that wiring done on your own too. I had a look at doing it and just checked out!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
Daveyvtec
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
How about amp options for hifi system? I believe there are 3 tiers in the f3x audio? Basic, hifi, harmon kardon?
I’m my case I have base audio. The head unit has an internal amp but the power output is pathetic. I looked in to upgrading to HiFi from base using all oem equipment and was told to steer clear so I never looked in to it too much more after that. I would assume there are plug and play options for what you’re looking for. Since what I have is a Vibe unit, I’d suggest starting there. I do know from my own research that the Match stuff is not cheap so if you’re budget conscious have a look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #9
Phil @ Integral Audio
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
A question that often comes up here on the forums frequently and if you do some searching you'll find tons of posts of folks talking about different amps, pros and cons, and some consensus on different options.

We don't have an amp only option (can shed more info on why if you're curious just ask) but we do have some speaker upgrades and more robust / complete systems designed specifically for the F3x for basic, hifi, and harmon kardon that we're super proud of since they've been designed and purpose built from the ground up for the acoustic characteristics of that specific vehicle cabin.

Feel free to take a look if you're at all interested (https://integralaudio.com/products/b...eries-f30.html) and if you have any questions of course give us a holler anytime.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:04 AM   #10
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep
Drives: W205 C63

Thanks for posting this OP, my F80 also has base audio and having come from a couple of cars with HK I’m planning an upgrade.
I had seen this Vibe box but no reviews, so this is great.
My only concern for the small outlay is that it’s using quad lock pass through, and I’m worried that won’t play well with the MMI Carplay box. Don’t suppose you have one installed?
Also Phil - I have your page book marked for review in due course V useful info
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:15 AM   #11
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D F36 2015

Thanks for this post, im in the same situation, base audio with no amp at all. Will first change the speakers (Focal for BMW) and now im searching for this Vibe power that i never heard of.

Question: I already have an Android MMI Box, i can't just have another bypass of this system right?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The weak point of BMW audio isn't the speakers, it's the amplification, be it the Base, Hi-Fi or H-K system. That's where all upgrades should start. Where the speakers are concerned the most improvement will be had with the underseat woofers, if you have sufficient power, and if the speaker is actually better than stock. Most are not, a few are. For instance: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1730058
Appreciate 1
TX55247.00
      02-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #13
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

I installed (only 2!) Focal speakers (ICBMW100L) in the front in my Base audio system. Even that alone was a difference between day and night. The base system is absolutely crap, with this it does sound like a base system should sound. Not amazing, but not crap.

I’ll have a look at the Amp option as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmert View Post
I installed (only 2!) Focal speakers (ICBMW100L) in the front in my Base audio system. Even that alone was a difference between day and night. The base system is absolutely crap, with this it does sound like a base system should sound. Not amazing, but not crap.

I’ll have a look at the Amp option as well.
With tweeters? where did you place the crossovers?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #15
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

You don’t need separate tweeters, the 100L have built-in tweeters. Saves extra money, because you don’t need the new trim etc.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #16
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
You don’t need separate tweeters, the 100L have built-in tweeters. Saves extra money, because you don’t need the new trim etc.

Already have everything my doubt relies in where to put the crossover.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #17
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Why would you need a crossover?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
TeaorCrumpets
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

have upgraded speakers so far and the difference is night and day ..on base audio ... amp next looking at audison
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #19
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaorCrumpets View Post
have upgraded speakers so far and the difference is night and day ..on base audio ... amp next looking at audison
Which speakers did you opt for pls?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #20
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaf13 View Post
Which speakers did you opt for pls?
I went for the Rainbow front speaker upgrade kit and it did make quite a big difference for me (I am mot an audiofile by any means) and I then left it at that.

You get separate tweeters and mid bass speakers with this upgrade, which really makes a difference in my opinion.

I got them when they first came out and the cost about £340, but I think you can get them now for about £230 now!

You will need to get the window plastic surround from BMW to house the tweeters - I think that they cost me about £50 for the 2!?

HTH
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #21
pwaf13
“M”ing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.webber View Post
I went for the Rainbow front speaker upgrade kit and it did make quite a big difference for me (I am mot an audiofile by any means) and I then left it at that.

You get separate tweeters and mid bass speakers with this upgrade, which really makes a difference in my opinion.

I got them when they first came out and the cost about £340, but I think you can get them now for about £230 now!

You will need to get the window plastic surround from BMW to house the tweeters - I think that they cost me about £50 for the 2!?

HTH
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I’ve heard of them before but totally forgotten about them as an option. What would you say the sound profile is like, are they crisp/harsh at all?

Found these, not sure if the same as you have? https://www.raysmith.co.uk/products/rainbow-bmw-e-f-series-il-c4-2-mix-component-speakers

Already have the covers, but thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #22
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Why would you need a crossover?
Because i bought this ones for the front doors: