F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Base 328i brakes to 335i / 340i Brembos
GetBMWParts

01-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive M-Sport

Base 328i brakes to 335i / 340i Brembos

I've been eyeing used calipers on eBay for a possible brake upgrade in the spring/summer. A BBK is definitely overkill but I'm wondering when you add up all the additional parts required if you might as well have just bought a kit, which would be all shiny and new.

To be totally honest I'm happy with the brakes and maybe I'm fixing a problem that doesn't exist. But…I can't resist a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
sgovind
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

I did the upgrade in Canada last year. Sourced parts myself and got a great deal overall which is what convinced me to do this. Parts in the US should be priced similarly/ even better. Infact, a full BBK brand new is pretty reasonable priced in the States the last time I checked. Definitely worth it imo.

You can check my post here: (Canada) F30 328xi M Performance Brake Upgrade https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836542
2014 328i xdrive | Black Dakota Leather w/ DIY Blue Stitching | EB Interior trim | M Sport | Lighting | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | LCI Tail Lights | M Performance Brakes (Blue) | 340i Muffler
Appreciate 1
boyerizm243.00
      01-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #3
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovind View Post
I did the upgrade in Canada last year. Sourced parts myself and got a great deal overall which is what convinced me to do this. Parts in the US should be priced similarly/ even better. Infact, a full BBK brand new is pretty reasonable priced in the States the last time I checked. Definitely worth it imo.

You can check my post here: (Canada) F30 328xi M Performance Brake Upgrade https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836542
Thanks man. You wouldn't happen to know if there is a tutorial out there?

I found one from Bryan Kiefer but he's going from Brembo to Brembo. Which seems simple enough, mostly just bolt on.

Im thinking going from the single piston floating type will require a bit more work but not sure what exactly.

Man plan is to diy it, or at least attempt to.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Aren't they bolt on if you upgrade to the 6 cylinder brakes? Just a rotor size change for the front and rotor and pad for back. Real M sport and the M performance brake package has the same caliper so a video or a post of a 4 cylinder upgrading to either of those should fit your case

https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...t-Brakes/#328i

But remember that if the caliper is blue to double check if it's 340 or 370mm rotor for wheel clearance
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
boyerizm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post
Aren't they bolt on if you upgrade to the 6 cylinder brakes? Just a rotor size change for the front and rotor and pad for back. Real M sport and the M performance brake package has the same caliper so a video or a post of a 4 cylinder upgrading to either of those should fit your case

But remember that if the caliper is blue to double check if it's 340 or 370mm rotor for wheel clearance
Thanks yeah I've got a 2013 328i M-Sport so I have slightly larger rotors and better pads apparently but the calipers are the same single piston floating type as the 328i base.

I'm wondering if the mounting holes for the caliper guide on those line up with the true M-Sport blue brake calipers. Or if I need to get some sort of adapter.

I'm sure this is pretty common upgrade but for some reason I can't find much info on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
sgovind
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerizm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovind View Post

Thanks man. You wouldn't happen to know if there is a tutorial out there?

I found one from Bryan Kiefer but he's going from Brembo to Brembo. Which seems simple enough, mostly just bolt on.

Im thinking going from the single piston floating type will require a bit more work but not sure what exactly.

Man plan is to diy it, or at least attempt to.
This should be a direct bolt on upgrade. My car is a 2014 328xi. Had 1 position front calipers with 330 mm rotors and 1 piston rear calipers with 300mm rotors and I upgraded to the BBK (370 front and 345 rear)

Only difference in your case if you're going with the BBK is that the rear 345x24mm rotor part number is different for RWD vs AWD.

Other than that, If you have all the parts listed in my post, it's a direct bolt on.
2014 328i xdrive | Black Dakota Leather w/ DIY Blue Stitching | EB Interior trim | M Sport | Lighting | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | LCI Tail Lights | M Performance Brakes (Blue) | 340i Muffler
Appreciate 1
boyerizm243.00
      01-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Should be direct bolt. The only ones that wouldn't would be the f80 I believe...

Enter your last 7 Vin into realoem
Load up car and go to brakes
Select the front brake pad sensor that has an image of the brembos

Looking through that, doesn't seem like it shows a bracket or anything so it should be direct bolt on

BMW wouldn't provide options for upgrading brakes in a package then make it hard and inefficient for the workers to do it I.e. adding more parts like a bracket vs a direct bolt on
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #8
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Since you have a 2013 I would suggest you read the excellent thread about this

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerizm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post

Thanks yeah I've got a 2013 328i M-Sport so I have slightly larger rotors and better pads apparently but the calipers are the same single piston floating type as the 328i base.

I'm wondering if the mounting holes for the caliper guide on those line up with the true M-Sport blue brake calipers. Or if I need to get some sort of adapter.

I'm sure this is pretty common upgrade but for some reason I can't find much info on it.
They directly bolt up. Brake lines are the same. Brake sensors are the same. The only different is pads and rotors. When you put the 370mm rotors on, no issues for the front, but you have to cut the dust shield. Otherwise it rubs. Same applies to the rear. Check which size parking brake you have and get the 345mm rear rotors for that size. I have the smaller ones and was able to look up part numbers from rock auto and order on Amazon for free shipping.
      07-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #10
shikelicious
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Do you have to code the brakes with the retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikelicious View Post
Do you have to code the brakes with the retrofit?
If you already have Brembos on the car, say Front 340x30mm, and you upgrade to Front Brembo 370x30 or Rear Brembo 345x24. Then no coding is necessary because those combinations all use the same brake bias setting.

But if you have no Brembos like front single piston 330x24 or 312x24, and you upgrade to a Brembo front, then you need to code brake bias. This is NOT at home coding with BimmerCode or Carly! Typically a shop does it, but it's simple.
Appreciate 1