F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Ipod connection help!!
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
F11pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 320d x-d M Sport Touring

Ipod connection help!!

Just bought a 2015 F31 which has sat nav (not sure of version) and connects via bluetooth to my OP2 to play music via spotify or soundcloud etc. My previous car was a 2011 F11 where I needed the official bmw y connector to hook up my ipod. All worked fine searching for tracks/artists via i-drive, but same cannot be said with new car. Ipod won't connect via y connector or with the apple cable. I can play ipod through system but only via 1/8 jack and controlled through ipod.
Going back to the garage where I bought the car isn't an option really, as it's too far away.
Also, I'd like to compare sound quality via digital files straight into my head unit, how do I get itunes files onto flash drive to hook up to car via usb?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure it should work.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
F11pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 320d x-d M Sport Touring

Update.........

Had the brainwave of trying my partner's newer ipod nano with lightening connector, that worked fine. Both the nano and the ipod are windows formatted (both use same pc itunes) Heard that there may be an issue with the lead (old click release type work) so will try and dig all the leads we have lying around and eliminate.
I'll keep you informed of any findings.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11pilot View Post
Had the brainwave of trying my partner's newer ipod nano with lightening connector, that worked fine. Both the nano and the ipod are windows formatted (both use same pc itunes) Heard that there may be an issue with the lead (old click release type work) so will try and dig all the leads we have lying around and eliminate.
I'll keep you informed of any findings.
Dunno about the y cable but on the iPhone/newer ipods it should just work via the standard cable to USB.

I had an old colour iPod and it just wouldn't connect via the standard 30 pin to USB.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i connect via the short 30 pin connector and it works fine. I had tried the old thicker 30 pin and it wouldnt recognize the device.

use this:

not this: