F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

01-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #221
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
This is what I don't understand with the USB. Not only did myself and TokenMaster have to rotate the plug 180 degrees, we also had to then fit a USB extension cable in the armrest that swaps Data+/- and 5v/Gnd. Without that nothing works.

Can I check which connector on the back of the NBT you used?
We just took the black HSD cable from the combox, ran that to the NBT from the trunk and rotated it 180 degrees. It's currently plugged into the beige port on the back of the NBT.

Are you referring to the post where the person had to splice his white HSD USB connector and change the pinout?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #222
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
We just took the black HSD cable from the combox, ran that to the NBT from the trunk and rotated it 180 degrees. It's currently plugged into the beige port on the back of the NBT.

Are you referring to the post where the person had to splice his white HSD USB connector and change the pinout?
Yes, I was and I can see you found it

So you still used the same connector I did on the back of the NBT and you still used a HSD cable, however you got it there. So the fact yours is working suggests to me there is something still different in the pin outs. Wonder what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #223
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I was and I can see you found it

So you still used the same connector I did on the back of the NBT and you still used a HSD cable, however you got it there. So the fact yours is working suggests to me there is something still different in the pin outs. Wonder what it could be?
I think there's several variations of the arm rest HSD cable and the pinouts might be all different.

It's just like how my glove box HSD (Beige) fits perfectly into the NBT beige port but doesn't support any connectivity and can only charge the device.

You might have to do what that other guy did and just splice the cable to expose all four wires and test it with a multimeter.

I was going to just buy a new beige HSD cable online but good thing Yungming pointed out that the cable is just the same as the one found in my glovebox and that it wouldn't be long enough to go from my arm rest to the NBT. From there, we just decided to run the combox cable to the NBT and luckily rotating it 180 degrees gave me the exact pinout needed.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #224
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

But that doesn't make any sense to me. There are only 4 pins on the HSD connector and 4 pins on USB. These are:

- 5v
- Gnd
- Data+
- Data-

If the right pins go to the right pins and both go to the same HSD port then surely they must work?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #225
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Some more experimentation leads me to believe this could be something to do with how iPhones authenticate the USB cable or charger. Perhaps there is a different USB / aux part on the Pro Nav equipped cars.

I have tried the following combinations:
- iPhone 4S iOS 7 connected via 30pin iPhone cable. Won't charge
- iPhone 3GS iOS 5 connected via 30pin iPhone cable. Won't charge
- iPhone 5s iOS 7 connected via lightning cable. Won't charge
- iPhone 5s iOS 7 connected via YCable and 30pin adapter. WILL CHARGE, Multimedia not working over USB though
- iPhone 5s iOS 7 connected via 30pin cable and 30pin adapter. Won't charge!!
- Galaxy S4 will charge

So, the only combination which charges but won't let you access the media on it is using the Y cable, which is the same behaviour you get on HU_Entry. Perhaps the y cable contains one of the apple authentication chips? Perhaps the different armrest socket theorised above also contains this chip?

Interestingly I found the following document showing a retrofit for the e90. If the f30 is anything like this, this setup is far more complicated than we may have realised:

http://www.zen104526.zen.co.uk/320d/...trofit%201.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #226
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Coupe

Did you guys also have a white wire in your nbt emulator/activator unit?
I have no clue where that's supposed to go. I've seen pics of the same emulator device thats marketed as navigation activators and also as reverse image camera emulator (have no clue what that is). Weird....
Not entirely sure if this is the correct device even though it's sold as a nav activator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #227
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, Both my Emulators are plug and play so have the cable harnesses at both ends.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:16 AM   #228
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like we have a fix to the USB issue thanks to TokenMaster. It appears you can also rotate the white HSD cable in the armrest 180 degrees, then everything will work without a cable hack. Will try it as soon as I get I the chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #229
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, Both my Emulators are plug and play so have the cable harnesses at both ends.
Ok, no problem, I will try it, see if it works without the white wire. (I found out that they sell the same emulator with the white wire cut off (can be seen in the product pics) - So this might be a dual purpose unit... maybe

When you had your NBT without the emulator, the Navigation item in the menu was just greyed out correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #230
muzo178
Swiss Army Knife
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

This post keeps getting more and more interesting everyday. It looks like we will have two full guides on upgrading from HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT and HU_CIC to HU_NBT in due time.

Great work guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #231
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delecz View Post
When you had your NBT without the emulator, the Navigation item in the menu was just greyed out correct?
Yes, that is what should happen. It means the FSC code for Nav stored in the NBT doesn't match the VIN of your Car and/or NBT. The emulator will fix that so long as the FSC matches the NBT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #232
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is what should happen. It means the FSC code for Nav stored in the NBT doesn't match the VIN of your Car and/or NBT. The emulator will fix that so long as the FSC matches the NBT.
Alrighty. I'll give it a go.

Btw. I get two stories regarding the screen cable for people going from hu_entry.
The first page says that you can use the existing cable, but I think I've seen people with hu_entry still replacing their screen cables? I'm asking because my display is just blank when using the existing cable.

Last edited by delecz; 01-16-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #233
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alrighty. I'll give it a go.

Btw. I get two stories regarding the screen cable for people going from hu_entry.
The first page says that you can use the existing cable, but I think I've seen people with hu_entry still replacing their screen cables? I'm asking because my display is just blank when using the existing cable.
My CIC screen cable had a ground wire for power along with the pink HSD connector that goes to the CID. NBT and ENTRY both don't need that wire and it goes straight into the CID port.

Is that what you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #234
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My NBT came as a kit with a replacement screen cable which I used. I didn't try it with the existing HU_Entry cable though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #235
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

NBT requires the pink HSD, while CID is the same purple HSD, whether it's the low or high CID.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #236
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Yep - I had to get a new cable 61-12-9-261-850
This worked. This had a purple end at the screen side and a pink end at the NBT side connector.

@steddyman: Did you get your idrive controller to work? I got the same problem as you do I think

Edit: Picture attached. New cable on top and old cable on the bottom. The only difference is one of the plugs are pink in the new one
Attached Images

Last edited by delecz; 01-17-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #237
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update USB now fully working including BMW Apps.

Very easy fix, simply remove the USB tray from the Armrest (just pulls up), take out the White HSD connector, clip off the locking pin with a stanley knife, then put if back in rotate 180 degrees.

iPhone is now Charge, recognised for media playback and BMW Apps are working too!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #238
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
@steddyman: Did you get your idrive controller to work? I got the same problem as you do I think
No, I haven't been able to because the bimmertech Emulator I had prevent coding the NBT. However, I have the new Emulator which I will fit tomorrow, then try the suggestions that Shawn made above about FDL coding to remove the ZBE_Touch controller.

What is the build date and country of origin of your car? Do you know if you had specced it as an option new, would it have been a Touch controller?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #239
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, I haven't been able to because the bimmertech Emulator I had prevent coding the NBT. However, I have the new Emulator which I will fit tomorrow, then try the suggestions that Shawn made above about FDL coding to remove the ZBE_Touch controller.

What is the build date and country of origin of your car? Do you know if you had specced it as an option new, would it have been a Touch controller?
Mine came from a 2014 F31 320d xDrive German Spec with a build date of 09/13 and it did indeed have the touch pad.

The seller must have sold that separately but I still managed to use my original CIC controller without any problems. I still have all the touchpad options on my options menu on the NBT which I didn't code out yet.

When you plugged the NBT in without the emulator, did it work with the CIC controller?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #240
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it is the other way around that is the problem. Mine is a 2014 spec car with a 2013 spec NBT. So the FA option 609 expects Touch to be present and programs the settings in the VO as such for the NBT. I need to disable them to see if it works.

I came from HU_Entry, so have a No Nav controller, which works just fine with the NBT. However the Standard (not Touch) Nav controller will not work at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #241
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Update USB now fully working including BMW Apps.

Very easy fix, simply remove the USB tray from the Armrest (just pulls up), take out the White HSD connector, clip off the locking pin with a stanley knife, then put if back in rotate 180 degrees.

iPhone is now Charge, recognised for media playback and BMW Apps are working too!

I completely removed the USB plastic connector and rotated it 180 and plugged it in. It worked fine including iphone 5s charging/data/music/apps etc.
(To be honest i plugged it in originally at 0 degrees and saw my iphone 5s cable literally melt at the plug.. so rotated 180 and it was fine )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #242
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Quote:

My ECU (ZBE?) completely disappears from the list when the idrive controller is connected. When I connect the old one in, it appears again!
No the build date is end of 2012 and its a German. No touch controller comes with it.
Appreciate 0