F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Should I Get Another 4-Series GC...
Extreme Powerhouse

10-31-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix

Should I Get Another 4-Series GC...

I currently have a 2015 4-Series GC that is fully loaded (i.e. all options other than the smoker's package and dual phone connection).

I have very much enjoyed the car whose lease is up...I went to BMW over the weekend and drove both the 440 GC and the 540i (and, did I mention, I also go to drive the i8 )...I would appreciate some assistance in choosing between the two noting the following:

1. As far as the 440 GC is concerned when is it due for a mid-cycle refresh. The dealer told me that the 2018 model year is the refresh year but I want to confirm check.

2. Continuing with the 440 GC I see the pros as a) more fun to drive / sportier than the 540i b) less expensive than the 540i and c) better cargo space (i.e. nothing like a hatch). I see the cons as a) older technology than the 540i (i.e. I do like the "touch buttons" in the 540i) b) more of the same (i.e. other than the engine the look and feel is essentially unchanged between the 2015 435 GC and 2018 440 GC).

3. As far as the 540i is concerned its pros and cons relative to the 440 GC
are the opposite of those noted above.

Any and all input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I can't answer your question, but I recently read that in 2019, the 4-series GC would be combined with the 3-series G/T (F34). To me, that means that 2019 is more likely to be the refresh year.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I can't answer your question, but I recently read that in 2019, the 4-series GC would be combined with the 3-series G/T (F34). To me, that means that 2019 is more likely to be the refresh year.
Appreciate the response, very helpful indeed!

That said, does anyone else have additional information on this -- either way -- as I do not want to purchase a car which is going to change in less than 12 months' time.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

The 4 GC LCI came out earlier this year in Europe - steering and suspension tweaks, LED light changes and some improved interior trim, plus some new exterior and upholstery colours - that was it, as far as I?m aware
Can?t comment on changes for the Canadian market however..
      11-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
2018 is the refresh year for any 4 Series so you're already going to be getting the latest - I wouldn't expect much of a change for another 3 years.

If you don't need the size of a 5 Series, I recommend going for a 440 GC with an MPPSK (M Performance Package II when ordering in Canada). I'm pretty sure you'll experience the difference from your current vehicle if you drive one with that package. Both get digital clusters, both get the new iDrive except the 4 Series doesn't have the gimmicky hand gestures, both have all the driver assistance features available. 5 Series has that bulky key where you can tell your car to automatically park and provides stats which you can get on your phone with the BMW remote app. The tech alone isn't worth getting a 5 Series as I don't think the difference is justified compared to the price difference.

A fully loaded 4 Series GC with the LED headlights & M Sport/Performance package looks way nicer than a 5 Series but that's just my personal opinion.
      11-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
The 4 GC LCI came out earlier this year in Europe - steering and suspension tweaks, LED light changes and some improved interior trim, plus some new exterior and upholstery colours - that was it, as far as I?m aware
Can?t comment on changes for the Canadian market however..
Thank, much appreciated...the items you list are the differences I note between my 2015 and the2018 I test drove!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
2018 is the refresh year for any 4 Series so you're already going to be getting the latest - I wouldn't expect much of a change for another 3 years.
Thank you, that is the information I was hoping / looking to find...

Quote:
If you don't need the size of a 5 Series, I recommend going for a 440 GC with an MPPSK (M Performance Package II when ordering in Canada).
This is pretty muchwhat my 2015 GC is...it is fully loaded other than the smoker kit and the dual cell phone option...

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'll experience the difference from your current vehicle if you drive one with that package.
The biggest difference I noted was the engine and the tuning / sound between my 2015 and the 2018...the 440 is a totally different drive!

Quote:
Both get digital clusters, both get the new iDrive except the 4 Series doesn't have the gimmicky hand gestures, both have all the driver assistance features available. 5 Series has that bulky key where you can tell your car to automatically park and provides stats which you can get on your phone with the BMW remote app. The tech alone isn't worth getting a 5 Series as I don't think the difference is justified compared to the price difference.
Agreed, the price difference is meaningful. I do - I must admit - like the"soft touch" buttons in the 5 bu clearly NOT a reason to choose one over the other!

Quote:
A fully loaded 4 Series GC with the LED headlights & M Sport/Performance package looks way nicer than a 5 Series but that's just my personal opinion.
I agree, much "meaner" looking...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I don't have a lot of experience with the 5er but I know it's a bigger car ...so maybe go drive one again. Try parking the 5er and just concentrate on the overall feel. Park it next to your 435 and then jump between them a few times. The 5er is a bigger car than I want to drive, personally. I like the confines of the 3/4 series.

Looks are subjective, of course, but I think the 440 GC is just a stunner with the M Sport kit. The 5er doesn't seem as aggressive especially in the front. And if you are after a sportier driving experience, the 440 GC with the MPPSK is hard to beat.

Something you can try if you are indecisive is to build an Excel spreadsheet with a column for each car you're considering. (Don't forget to include your current ride, which you can buy out at the end of your lease.) Put in whatever is important to you in a car and then give each car a rating for that row(1-5, 1-10, etc). Be specific, could even be something as small as window up/down switch feel. Total up the scores at the end and see how big of a difference there is. The results may surprise you (or confirm what you already thought).

Another question to ask is, if the money were not a factor - e.g. each car was the same price - what would you get. (That almost always ends in me finding out I want the one that's more expensive and that I need to save up ).

Charles
      11-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with the 5er but I know it's a bigger car ...so maybe go drive one again. Try parking the 5er and just concentrate on the overall feel. Park it next to your 435 and then jump between them a few times. The 5er is a bigger car than I want to drive, personally. I like the confines of the 3/4 series.

Looks are subjective, of course, but I think the 440 GC is just a stunner with the M Sport kit. The 5er doesn't seem as aggressive especially in the front. And if you are after a sportier driving experience, the 440 GC with the MPPSK is hard to beat.

Something you can try if you are indecisive is to build an Excel spreadsheet with a column for each car you're considering. (Don't forget to include your current ride, which you can buy out at the end of your lease.) Put in whatever is important to you in a car and then give each car a rating for that row(1-5, 1-10, etc). Be specific, could even be something as small as window up/down switch feel. Total up the scores at the end and see how big of a difference there is. The results may surprise you (or confirm what you already thought).

Another question to ask is, if the money were not a factor - e.g. each car was the same price - what would you get. (That almost always ends in me finding out I want the one that's more expensive and that I need to save up ).

Charles
Appreciate the input...I am strongly leaning towards the 440 GC simply because it is more fun to drive in that I see the GC 440 as a "sport sedan hybrid" whereas the 540i is a sedan...I like the more spirited drive!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

I went from a 335 to a 340 and I thought I wasn't going to like it because it would feel like the same thing again, but the difference in the engine and quality in interior (got alcantara and real leather) and smoothness in the ride thanks to the adaptive suspension I didn't have on the 335. I have fallen in love with the b58 engine and this car. The only complaint I have is that this one (Black Saphire Metallic) is not nearly as sexy of a color as the Estoril Blue I had. My lease on the 340 will be up in 2019 and I'm hoping that I would get my hands on the LCI 440 GC, If it's not as expensive as an M3 for leasing.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post

Charles
Appreciate the input...I am strongly leaning towards the 440 GC simply because it is more fun to drive in that I see the GC 440 as a "sport sedan hybrid" whereas the 540i is a sedan...I like the more spirited drive!
Better to drive and a lot better looking than the new 5 - go for it
      11-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F30 View Post
I went from a 335 to a 340 and I thought I wasn't going to like it because it would feel like the same thing again, but the difference in the engine and quality in interior (got alcantara and real leather) and smoothness in the ride thanks to the adaptive suspension I didn't have on the 335. I have fallen in love with the b58 engine and this car. The only complaint I have is that this one (Black Saphire Metallic) is not nearly as sexy of a color as the Estoril Blue I had. My lease on the 340 will be up in 2019 and I'm hoping that I would get my hands on the LCI 440 GC, If it's not as expensive as an M3 for leasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Better to drive and a lot better looking than the new 5 - go for it
I hear all of you AND thank you for it!

I went on-line and built a 2018 440 GC (all options EXCEPT the smokers package) and have asked the dealer to price it out for me in terms if discount over MSRP, etc.

It appears -- largely because the lease interest rate has dropped so much -- that I can get a filly loaded 2018 440 GC for LESS than I am paying for my fully loaded 2015 440 GC.

Lets' see where the pricing lands over the next few days!

Thanks to all!
Appreciate 0