F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

01-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #265
nima
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Hmm, on the block connector that goes into the NBT, is there a cable that looks like this? It has an LED on it and it should light up at the end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-Cable-f...170504&vxp=mtr
no , i haven't seen such cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #266
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nima View Post
no , i haven't seen such cable.

NBT gets all of the vehicle data and time settings from the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster). Coming from HU_ENTRY, I think you have the Basic Instrument cluster which doesn't have the optical output that goes with NBT/CIC.

You might need to retrofit a 6WA cluster in order to get all that to work.

What's the model year of your car and what's the country spec?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #267
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
I think you're lucky that you don't get SOS and Teleservices in the UK for 2014 models otherwise this would have been even more complicated since you would have to run the cables from the combox to the front just like I had to in addition to all the trouble you already went through.
I've only seen those options listed once your have Pro Nav installed, so I assumed they were part of the NBT anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #268
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought even the HU_Entry without 6WA would still have the MOST connector to link the sound output to the amplifier.

The MOST cable goes into circular pins 1 & 2 shown in the top left of the main wiring harness shown below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #269
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm really not having any luck here. It appears the new Emulator is part of a faulty batch and only powers up the NBT one time out of about five
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #270
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
NBT gets all of the vehicle data and time settings from the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster). Coming from HU_ENTRY, I think you have the Basic Instrument cluster which doesn't have the optical output that goes with NBT/CIC.

You might need to retrofit a 6WA cluster in order to get all that to work.

What's the model year of your car and what's the country spec?
My car Model is 320d M Sport registered September 2012 and is UK Spec:

Basic instrument cluster
Basic idrive unit
Sport Auto Trans with Paddles

I am sure there is no optical cable.

I should have stick with my tom tom Nav )))

Last edited by nima; 01-19-2014 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: forgotten put more information
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #271
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
In Canada, if you have a 2012 or 2013 model with any of the four Lines; Sport, Luxury, Modern or M Sport, you get the 6WA cluster even if you didn't order the On Board Navigation system.

After examining all these model years and builds, I think by far the easiest vehicle to adopt NBT is a Canadian 2012 - 2013 F30 with any of the four lines and no navigation. With that setup, you will have the 6WA cluster already, the Bluetooth Mic, Bluetooth Arial, AUX and USB are all in the front since there is no combox. Just rotate the HSD plug underneath the plate of the armrest 180 degrees, shave the locking pins off the white USB cable and you're all set. For navigation, you can just use the aftermarket GPS Arial antenna like 1lyfe and you will have a 100% fully functional NBT system. From what I know, the CIC controller will be plug and play without issue.

With the 2014 models in North America, you will need to run the Mic, Bluetooth Arial, AUX and USB from the combox all back to the front just like going from CIC to NBT and you will need a 6WA cluster which seems to be the most work compared to all other builds not to mention the issue of getting the iDrive Controller to work.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 01-19-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #272
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My car Model is 320d M Sport :

Basic instrument cluster
Basic idrive unit
Sport Auto Trans with Paddles

I am sure there is no optical cable.

I should have stick with my tom tom Nav )))
NBT can still function without the optical cable. It's just going to be a bit annoying because when an error pops up, it's not going to show up on your iDrive screen and the chime will no longer sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #273
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
NBT can still function without the optical cable. It's just going to be a bit annoying because when an error pops up, it's not going to show up on your iDrive screen and the chime will no longer sound.
If I put new 6WA and wire the optical from cluster to NBT, does it work PnP or need this difficult coding !
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #274
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UK spec cars are no harder than Candian ones unless you didn't spec 6WA, which is optional.

Also I get no sound on my setup if the MOST cable is not connected. Could be because I have the Harmon Kardon Audio. That is what sends the signal to the amp in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #275
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
UK spec cars are no harder than Candian ones unless you didn't spec 6WA, which is optional.

Also I get no sound on my setup if the MOST cable is not connected. Could be because I have the Harmon Kardon Audio. That is what sends the signal to the amp in the boot.
My sound works even without the MOST cable not plugged in so it must be because you have HK audio. 6WA here is only included if your vehicle has one of the four lines or if you took navigation and can't be ordered as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #276
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Guys can you help me to figure out what i need to buy to make this nbt work properly?

what about wiring stuff?

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #277
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Guys can you help me to figure out what i need to buy to make this nbt work properly?

what about wiring stuff?

many thanks
I think it is more complex than it looks. Do you have an external amplifier in the boot? If you do it would be under the black panel on the left side of the boot. If there is an amplifier there then it will be connected with a MOST cable. The MOST also connects to the 6WA so there would be some sort of splitter behind the NBT. If you do fit a 6WA, you would need to buy a MOST cable and connect it between the NBT and the 6WA.

You would also need to add it to the vehicle order (FA coding) then you would need to VO code both the NBT and the KOMBI (6WA). FA coding changes the list of options on the vehicle. VO coding sets different ECU's on the car to the default values for your FA. You need to VO code the NBT anyway or it will not match the configuration of your car and your sound may not work.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #278
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think it is more complex than it looks. Do you have an external amplifier in the boot? If you do it would be under the black panel on the left side of the boot. If there is an amplifier there then it will be connected with a MOST cable. The MOST also connects to the 6WA so there would be some sort of splitter behind the NBT. If you do fit a 6WA, you would need to buy a MOST cable and connect it between the NBT and the 6WA.

You would also need to add it to the vehicle order (FA coding) then you would need to VO code both the NBT and the KOMBI (6WA). FA coding changes the list of options on the vehicle. VO coding sets different ECU's on the car to the default values for your FA. You need to VO code the NBT anyway or it will not match the configuration of your car and your sound may not work.
Hi Steddyman,

thanks for your time and reply.

my car does have the standard sound system and no amp neither an optical cable.

Here comes the dragon and probably i need to put some time learning this, what a nightmare this car is making by rejecting the retrofit.

i red in couple of post that i need Enet cable with E-Sys software, but i have no idea of this type of coding and how to do this, OMG this is getting so much more complicated than i was expected, if i knew bmw makes it this much hard then i would have buy a car with this things in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #279
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I spent the 6 weeks waiting for my car learning about what I would have to do when the car arrived to do the retrofit.

I can't imagine it is much more complex for you than installing the NBT which is mostly plug and play, then add 609 to your FA then VO code the NBT. Even without the 6WA it should work fine, you will just be missing that integration.

Just read the sticky thread at the top of this forum. There are guides for changing your FA and VO coding on that thread. It isn't really that complicated.

You will need a copy of E-Sys (PM ShawnSheridan) and and ENET cable. You will then need to buy a token for E-Sys and Shawn can tell you where to get this from. I bought one of the cheap (only) ENET cables from eBay UK and it has been rubbish. So rubbish in fact that I'm having a batch of cables made up myself which should arrive this week and will be going on eBay.

I will advise you though, that it is possible to mess up your new car. For example due to a faulty Emulator my car has no Stereo or working screen, but I know how to fix it. If you read all the guides and aren't that confident, then it may be best to find someone who can retrofit it for you like bimmertech, but it won't be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #280
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I spent the 6 weeks waiting for my car learning about what I would have to do when the car arrived to do the retrofit.

I can't imagine it is much more complex for you than installing the NBT which is mostly plug and play, then add 609 to your FA then VO code the NBT. Even without the 6WA it should work fine, you will just be missing that integration.

Just read the sticky thread at the top of this forum. There are guides for changing your FA and VO coding on that thread. It isn't really that complicated.

You will need a copy of E-Sys (PM ShawnSheridan) and and ENET cable. You will then need to buy a token for E-Sys and Shawn can tell you where to get this from. I bought one of the cheap (only) ENET cables from eBay UK and it has been rubbish. So rubbish in fact that I'm having a batch of cables made up myself which should arrive this week and will be going on eBay.

I will advise you though, that it is possible to mess up your new car. For example due to a faulty Emulator my car has no Stereo or working screen, but I know how to fix it. If you read all the guides and aren't that confident, then it may be best to find someone who can retrofit it for you like bimmertech, but it won't be cheap.
I have received the following cable from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-ENET-Eth...316c66&vxp=mtr

any good?!

i wont code till i am confident that i understand what's going on , thanks for that.

I will Pm Shawn for esys.

many thanks for your time and replay, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #281
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, that looks like a much better quality cable than the one I bought. I wasn't prepared to wait for that to come from the states so bought one costing £20.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #282
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Coupe

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have upgraded mine from basic unit to NBT and non of the trip and service information shows up now, also can't set time on NBT unit.

We have connected my f30 to BMW tech station which were reporting replace the unit, funny the way bmw discourage BMW owner to not to retrofit unless there is profit for them, like i just seen they are adverting for retrofit DAB radio for £299.
For your case, you need to FDL code NBT using E-sys.
Set KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low

Then you can set time/date, trip information, service information will show up I was also using the basic instrument cluster, everything works except for you will not hear warning chimes (annoying, but worth the compromise for the added features in my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #283
nima
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by delecz View Post
For your case, you need to FDL code NBT using E-sys.
Set KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low

Then you can set time/date, trip information, service information will show up I was also using the basic instrument cluster, everything works except for you will not hear warning chimes (annoying, but worth the compromise for the added features in my opinion).
Many thanks for that delecz. Just trying to learn the coding first then start trying .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #284
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

No settings will stick until you VO code NBT. If you have basic Kombi, VO coding will set the KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low.

I supposed you can FDL code but you'd have to figure and set every function. Obvious benefit is that you can also code your own customized settings and do it in one go.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #285
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30EDR View Post
No settings will stick until you VO code NBT. If you have basic Kombi, VO coding will set the KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low.

I supposed you can FDL code but you'd have to figure and set every function. Obvious benefit is that you can also code your own customized settings and do it in one go.
VO coding with 609 and basic kombi combination didn't set KOMBI_CIC correctly. You will have to FDL code the NBT after VO coding it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #286
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

It did on mine using 3.24. So, this needs to be checked after VO coding, and FDL code as needed.
Appreciate 0