F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension remapping
GetBMWParts

07-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Adaptive suspension remapping

While driving the wife’s M140i I noticed that the suspension was a lot firmer than my 335xd- even allwing for the ACS springs etc This got me thinking , I presume the dampers are the same, so can they be remapped/ retuned to provide a firmer ride?

I believe Dinan do a shockware uograde that increase the stiffness by 15% but they don’t operate in the UK.

So does anyone know of any operators out there that can remap the suspension?

Really don’t want to go down the route on coil overs etc etc

Thanks in advance.
      07-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Hmmm Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

The 335d is around 15-20% heavier than the m140i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

That is because the 335d has SE dampers, and worse than SE ARB’s!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Interesting read here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1172241
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      07-25-2018, 03:36 AM   #6
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

The M140i has very stiff rear springs. It's been mentioned here before, by Watsey I think, that the BMW adaptive system is quite slow in operation compared to electronically assisted suspension from other manufacturers. I don't know how true that is, but our customer feedback shows that AC Schnitzer sports dampers will significantly outperform adaptive dampers. I think it's unlikely that a change of software will make such a significant difference.

Here's a review from a customer who changed to AC Schnitzer sports suspension (springs and fixed rate dampers) on his M140i.

Quote:
AC Schnitzer sports suspension is nothing short of transformational on my BMW M140i. I had the adaptive damper system on my new M140i. I have always ticked this box on new BMWs I order. It was the "go to" tick box. However, particularly noticeable on the M140, I found the ride choppy, not smooth in sports mode and a little unsettled on even flat fast roads. Not installing confidence.

So then I installed the Schnitzer springs. Matters improved, but not completely. Still it wasn’t giving me enough of that secure controllable feeling that I wanted while still being comfortable for an every day driver. So I installed the full AC Schnitzer Sports suspension system. It is nothing short of transformational. First of all the car lowers noticeably by approximately 14mm on the M140i. Giving it a more aggressive stance, improving the aesthetics considerably. Then there’s the handling. The rear end was prone to being twitchy under full acceleration. That is almost 100% removed. The car sits flatter and stays flat, even under heavy braking and acceleration. The net result is it seems to stop quicker and accelerate faster, all with much confidence inspiring control. The traction control comes on less and when it does, the car still still seems to deal with it better and more precisely, getting more power down. Particularly noticeable going around tight bends or coming out of junctions from a stand still. Sharp sudden changes of direction leave the car totally unflustered. Handling is now a dream. Cornering flat, securely, you can negotiate bends and other hazards with verve and tenacity in complete confidence. Sitting settled at high speeds on even bumpy road surfaces.

Is the car firmer now in its ride? Yes. Of course. But it’s still comfortable and seems to absorb the bumps and undulations of a bad road surface. So while you can feel the firmness, it remains comfortable. More so than in Sports mode setting with adaptive dampers. Which I noticed, particularly in this latest M140 incarnation, was very bouncy and unsettled on rough or undulated roads surfaces. Evidenced when I watched other youtube reviews with in car camera set ups. The occupants bobbing around constantly inside the car. And living with a long term back problem, comfort was very important to me. It is nothing short of brilliant the way Schnitzer have set this up. My advice. Don’t hesitate to get this suspension kit fitted. Untick the adaptive dampers on ordering your car. Save your money and invest in the AC Schnitzer Sports suspension kit.

David W., Former Class One Advanced Police driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
That is because the 335d has SE dampers, and worse than SE ARB’s!
Presumed that with the adaptive upgrade they both had the same dampers ??

Changed the rear arb to an M140I one and it makes a noticeable difference to body roll. Also helps the car to oversteer a bit more but in a good way ( if you see what I mean ).

Toying with the idea of changing front arb as well.
      07-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Dinan have a software for adaptive dampers called Shockware. I contacted them before I went down the hardware upgrade route but they didn't have a UK agent at that time. The upgrade process was to remove the ECU and post it to them for a remap; turnaround time 3 weeks !

I don't know how the software upgrade works. My guess is that the operating/response frequency is the same but that the damper valves operate on either different level of resistance at all times (ie OEM +15%) or (if they've managed to be clever) that the resistance is adjusted to a 'stiffer' but still dynamic map depending on the inputs from the gyros in the car and suspension.

However, if the operating/response frequency of the BMW adaptive system can't keep up with the road, just increasing the damper resistance may not solve that particular problem.

Passive shocks react (provide damping resistance) effectively immediately and I've found a huge increase in control by fitting coilovers. I appreciate that people have different wants and needs though.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      07-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Dinan have a software for adaptive dampers called Shockware. I contacted them before I went down the hardware upgrade route but they didn't have a UK agent at that time. The upgrade process was to remove the ECU and post it to them for a remap; turnaround time 3 weeks !

I don't know how the software upgrade works. My guess is that the operating/response frequency is the same but that the damper valves operate on either different level of resistance at all times (ie OEM +15%) or (if they've managed to be clever) that the resistance is adjusted to a 'stiffer' but still dynamic map depending on the inputs from the gyros in the car and suspension.

However, if the operating/response frequency of the BMW adaptive system can't keep up with the road, just increasing the damper resistance may not solve that particular problem.

Passive shocks react (provide damping resistance) effectively immediately and I've found a huge increase in control by fitting coilovers. I appreciate that people have different wants and needs though.

Appreciate your wise words as ever.

Had a read on the thread mentioned above and it does appear that they alter the damper resistance.

Ultimately I appreciate that to get what I want may require a complete replacement as per Lorcans advice. Just unsure how long I’ll keep the car to justify the cost
      07-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
Mattt1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Evolve can remap them, speak to Imran and say I sent you.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt1 View Post
Evolve can remap them, speak to Imran and say I sent you.
Is that suspension or engines ?

Heard of them doing engines.

Great if they can
      07-31-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Mattt1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Suspension - they can change the map
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      07-31-2018, 05:26 AM   #13
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
The M140i has very stiff rear springs. It's been mentioned here before, by Watsey I think, that the BMW adaptive system is quite slow in operation compared to electronically assisted suspension from other manufacturers. I don't know how true that is, but our customer feedback shows that AC Schnitzer sports dampers will significantly outperform adaptive dampers. I think it's unlikely that a change of software will make such a significant difference.

Here's a review from a customer who changed to AC Schnitzer sports suspension (springs and fixed rate dampers) on his M140i.
out perform how?

Id say that variable dampers will out perform any fixed setup when they are used for what they are. On comfort they are soft and on sport they are firm and sporty but also compliant enough not to be harsh.

No set of fixed dampers will be comfortable and sporty at the same time as they both need different ride set ups. Fixed dampers could be better at one or the other but i fail to see how they could out perform both.

You are either stuck in comfort or stuck in sport.

Last edited by ZeroFx; 07-31-2018 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #14
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
out perform how?
In the way that the customer describes in his review above. Better body control, more traction, more secure, more confidence-inspiring and still comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Id say that variable dampers will out perform any fixed setup when they are used for what they are. No set of fixed dampers will be comfortable and sporty at the same time as they both need different ride set ups.
Well you'd be wrong . Decent quality suspension can be comfortable, sporty and better handling all at the same time. This applies to all the quality brands, although AC Schnitzer are particularly good at getting this right.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #15
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
In the way that the customer describes in his review above. Better body control, more traction, more secure, more confidence-inspiring and still comfortable.

Well you'd be wrong . Decent quality suspension can be comfortable, sporty and better handling all at the same time. This applies to all the quality brands, although AC Schnitzer are particularly good at getting this right.
And if that were true then you wouldnt have variable suspension. If it was a case of just putting a decent normal set up on a car then that would be easier and lighter and probably cheaper.

Heck even my Ohlins MTB full suspension bike has 3 different modes to select from.

Im personally not buying this one size fits all can be better than a variable set up. All the evidence suggests that you cannot have your cake and eat it and this whole thing will be subjective anecdotal evidence at best.

Whilst im 100% sure your solution would out perform any standard set up i dont think it can be compliant and stiff at the same time without some kind of variable active management.

Just curious but what does your full set up cost on a 4 Series for example?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
Lorcan
Rep

£1500 and another £300(ish) to delete the adaptive if you have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #17
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Back on topic.
Has anyone had their Adaptive Dampers 'remapped' in the UK and, if so, would they care to offer an opinion on its effectiveness?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #18
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Back on topic.
Has anyone had their Adaptive Dampers 'remapped' in the UK and, if so, would they care to offer an opinion on its effectiveness?
Matt above has advised that Evolve can remap the adaptives.

Think I might need to give them a shout to discuss further re costs and benefits.

Presume it will be similar to the Dinan Shockware
      07-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #19
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Not sure if the same applies to dampers and springs , but I think most would say the ACS springs improve ride and handling. That may be down to “us” thinking the original springing was seriously flawed.