F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i Touring - built status thread
Extreme Powerhouse

10-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #617
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quick update here:

Put my 3rd tank of fuel in the car. I can't remember what the last tank was exactly, but I know my (calculated) running total so far is 33.5mpg. However my commute will change soon, so I expect that figure to drop.

I've also rolled over the 1200 mile mark, although I wasn't holding back beforehand anyhow.

Finally I'm currently driving around in a Toyota Avensis. My god, it makes you appreciate how good your BMW is. It's truly dreadful! But why I am driving it? Well because my car is with Barry at Auto Detox having his 3.5 day Premier New Car Detail. I can't wait to collect it tomorrow; it'll be stunning!

Will post a new thread with pics when I get her back
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #618
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Looking forward to the update.

Had the first commute in mine this morning. It's a real step up from the MB - ok so a different generation of motor and different type of car - estate vs (5dr) coupe, but the change in handling is quite something.

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #619
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
And, of course, crazybones special "9646 Open Workshop Job" code for 2 x new rear tyres...
Grant_7 Congratulations - glad to hear that your collection date is all set. It has been a long journey for you, but with MashinBenzin, we had some fun along the way.

Apologies for the delayed response. I've had a busy few days including delivering our youngest to uni!

My pick up is tomorrow morning, so despite my early lead, you only narrowly missed out on 2nd place I will check my tyres to ensure that all 4 are the same.....
Resurrecting this old thread and the race that our x40is had from factory to driveway (let's remind ourselves that I won, crazybones came second and Grant_7 was last despite ordering months earlier ).

Having run into Crazybones on another forum, it's interesting to see that both he and Grant have had Model 3s for some years. I'm the Tesla newbie, but now both Crazybones and I have Model Ys.

Three happy September 2016 40i owners are now three happy Tesla owners.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Grant_72012.50
      09-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #620
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
Quote:
And, of course, crazybones special "9646 Open Workshop Job" code for 2 x new rear tyres...
Grant_7 Congratulations - glad to hear that your collection date is all set. It has been a long journey for you, but with MashinBenzin, we had some fun along the way.

Apologies for the delayed response. I've had a busy few days including delivering our youngest to uni!

My pick up is tomorrow morning, so despite my early lead, you only narrowly missed out on 2nd place I will check my tyres to ensure that all 4 are the same.....
Resurrecting this old thread and the race that our x40is had from factory to driveway (let's remind ourselves that I won, crazybones came second and Grant_7 was last despite ordering months earlier ).

Having run into Crazybones on another forum, it's interesting to see that both he and Grant have had Model 3s for some years. I'm the Tesla newbie, but now both Crazybones and I have Model Ys.

Three happy September 2016 40i owners are now three happy Tesla owners.
I had my 335d in June 2016 too and replaced it with a Tesla M3P in June 2021.
Attached Images

Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2022, 04:24 PM   #621
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Ooh look. This forum has gone from a Range Rover appreciation club to an electric American thing appreciation club in a matter of weeks.

What's next I wonder...... Chinese MG fan club?
Appreciate 1
J3OEF81.00
      09-27-2022, 05:05 AM   #622
J3OEF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Ooh look. This forum has gone from a Range Rover appreciation club to an electric American thing appreciation club in a matter of weeks.

I don't know why but I cannot get on board with the electric car thing, no matter how good they may be or how much savings can be made, It just does not float my boat.

I don't know about others, but I like to hear engine noise and exhaust noise when I'm driving and in an electric car you don't get that or do they pump fake noises into the cabin? Even still, there is no comparison for me.

I don't doubt the Tesla's are fantastic cars but I would have to be forced into an electric car before I decided to get one I think.

(Watch this space, Tesla 3 arriving next year)
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 06:41 AM   #623
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3OEF View Post
Quote:

I don't know why but I cannot get on board with the electric car thing, no matter how good they may be or how much savings can be made, It just does not float my boat.

I don't know about others, but I like to hear engine noise and exhaust noise when I'm driving and in an electric car you don't get that or do they pump fake noises into the cabin? Even still, there is no comparison for me.

I don't doubt the Tesla's are fantastic cars but I would have to be forced into an electric car before I decided to get one I think.

I'd have a tycan ct/st but I wouldn't get the dogs in.. same with all ev's they all have sloping boot line s we hitch u assume is for aero.

I'm not totally against ev's but they don't float my boat and still think the costs only stack up if your doing a lot if mileage or can take advantage of a company car scheme.

I've talked to many taxi drivers who have ev's and they are all unanimous in that they all really like them, but they do have to be far more planned than with an ice.

Back on the thread though… man seems like an age when we were all as giddy as kids at Christmas!!! We got these cars at such a steal!! This car was a total gateway 'drug' though … onto full fat m cars!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #624
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

I still have my '66 plate 340i and having made some discrete mods absolutely love driving it!

But with two young kids, two mortgages and a wife who has only just learnt to drive (19 years after failing her first attempt) I've done the opposite of the new Tesla route..

I wanted something family size, cheap (ie. dispensable), reliable(ish) and safe for a year or two before upgrading to a more aspirational workhorse - probably an EV.

Enter, my 10yr old XC90!!

Funny thing is, I've grown to love it too!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Grant_72012.50
      09-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #625
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstin View Post
I still have my '66 plate 340i and having made some discrete mods absolutely love driving it!

But with two young kids, two mortgages and a wife who has only just learnt to drive (19 years after failing her first attempt) I've done the opposite of the new Tesla route..

I wanted something family size, cheap (ie. dispensable), reliable(ish) and safe for a year or two before upgrading to a more aspirational workhorse - probably an EV.

Some big exhausts on that: what engine?
      09-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #626
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:

recently picked up a 10 year old xc60 myself, unbelievably comfortable and relaxing to drive. people give you way out of junctions, no-one tailgates you, and the comfort is just unreal.

downsides are it sounds quite agricultural (2.4D D5 engine) and the handbrake though takes some getting used to.

Much prefer it to my 66 340i on family journeys.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #627
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos ZimZimma View Post

Some big exhausts on that: what engine?
Sadly it's a diesel, but 5-pot at least. Quad exhausts as standard!

Someone else did the de-badge!
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #628
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
recently picked up a 10 year old xc60 myself, unbelievably comfortable and relaxing to drive. people give you way out of junctions, no-one tailgates you, and the comfort is just unreal.

downsides are it sounds quite agricultural (2.4D D5 engine) and the handbrake though takes some getting used to.

Much prefer it to my 66 340i on family journeys.
Yes exactly that. I'm amazed how comfortable it is on a long cruise, especially as it's a 10yr old car and a 20yr old design!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:11 AM   #629
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I will bite.

Was my Land Rover (not Range Rover) preferable to me in every way versus the 440i? Yes. That includes how it went down a road, a far more interesting, planted and enjoyable drive than the GC.

Am I happy I changed it for a Tesla? Yes. But the Land Rover is better in many ways.

Is the Tesla better than my old 440i? Yes, in every way except looks and (perhaps, as it's been a while and I've enjoyed a great riding SUV for years in between) ride quality.

Would I swap my Tesla for an electric Discovery? In a heartbeat, I'd take everything about my 2019/20 Discoveries with an EV drivetrain as pretty much my ideal car. But I wouldn't swap it for another diesel Discovery.

It's never about the brand for me; but Land Rover offers something very different in the market - a character, a sense of occasion and invincibility, a drive that suits British roads to a tee - that the tedious and anodyne Germans and Americans can't come close to.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:13 AM   #630
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Blank

Quote:

That's lovely

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 03:38 AM   #631
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

I'm of a similar mindset - I've always felt the engine is the heart of a car and (for me at least) part of that is the noise they make.

But having said that when I look at the mileage profile Mrs JNW1 and I have nowadays an EV with (say) a real world range of 250 miles would definitely work for us, especially as we could recharge at home. I could therefore see me being tempted down the route of an EV for everyday use but supplemented by an ICE car as a machine for a bit of fun (so similar to the approach Grant has taken albeit something less extreme than a Caterham for the ICE car!).

However, neither of our cars is in the window for replacement just yet and, as we're still happy with both of them, I think we'll stay as we are for now and see what EV's are available in a couple of years time...
Appreciate 2
Grant_72012.50
      09-28-2022, 03:40 AM   #632
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sadly it's a diesel, but 5-pot at least. Quad exhausts as standard!

Someone else did the de-badge!
Not too long ago I had the baby Volvo C30 with the petrol 2.5l 5 cylinder turbo, so I 'get' Volvos now and I don't doubt the XC90 is doing a sterling job!
      09-28-2022, 03:56 AM   #633
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:

I'm of a similar mindset - I've always felt the engine is the heart of a car and (for me at least) part of that is the noise they make.

But having said that when I look at the mileage profile Mrs JNW1 and I have nowadays an EV with (say) a real world range of 250 miles would definitely work for us, especially as we could recharge at home. I could therefore see me being tempted down the route of an EV for everyday use but supplemented by an ICE car as a machine for a bit of fun (so similar to the approach Grant has taken albeit something less extreme than a Caterham for the ICE car!).

However, neither of our cars is in the window for replacement just yet and, as we're still happy with both of them, I think we'll stay as we are for now and see what EV's are available in a couple of years time...
Good point about being in the window for change. I'd still be in the Discovery if the weird second hand market hadn't opened a window for change that seemed likely to be limited in length. Moving it on felt like taking advantage of a financial gift horse as well as getting something far more suited (local environment wise) to the school run.

Effectively swapping one £60k car for another, but with a gut feel that the EV will be worth a fair chunk more in 3-4 years.

Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
Grant_72012.50
      09-28-2022, 04:22 AM   #634
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Good point about being in the window for change. I'd still be in the Discovery if the weird second hand market hadn't opened a window for change that seemed likely to be limited in length. Moving it on felt like taking advantage of a financial gift horse as well as getting something far more suited (local environment wise) to the school run.

Effectively swapping one £60k car for another, but with a gut feel that the EV will be worth a fair chunk more in 3-4 years.
Yes, the second-hand market did open a window that normally wouldn't have existed but I get the impression it's pretty much closed now? A couple of months ago I could have probably sold my car for about what I paid for it but the value on places like Motorway seems to have dropped quite significantly since then.

Not sure there's an EV out there that quite ticks all our requirement boxes at the moment either (so overall physical size, interior space for dogs, price, real world range, etc). However, I'm fairly sure that situation will improve over the next couple of years so I'm content to sit on my hands for now!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 05:43 AM   #635
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:

That always has been - and still is - a big factor for me too, despite 2.5 years in a Tesla. But, strangely, I don't miss engine/exhaust noise at all when driving the Tesla.

What are you thoughts on the subject MashinBenzin
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #636
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Quote:
Quote:

That always has been - and still is - a big factor for me too, despite 2.5 years in a Tesla. But, strangely, I don't miss engine/exhaust noise at all when driving the Tesla.

Exactly the same, I've had petrol V6 and V8 in the past and loved the noise but don't miss it with the Tesla.
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 2
Grant_72012.50
      09-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #637
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Same here, I really loved how the 440i sounded (in fairness, the only decent petrol engine I ever owned).

But I enjoy the refinement that an EV has more, and perhaps bizarrely I like the whine of the motors on those rare occasions that you can extend them.

I do enjoy refinement - I vividly remember jumping out of 5 days in loan Range Rover Sports, the last 2 days in a PHEV, and thinking that the 440i sounded like an utter bag of spanners afterwards. It was probably a fortnight before I recalibrated my ears and again found it sonorous.

Overall I think an EV drivetrain brings more pluses than minuses. The only significant minus is range in edge cases (as discussed in my MY thread, a 400-500 mile journey is going to involve stops and it's a personal case of whether that is changing the way you travel or not).

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #638
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Interesting you guys saying you don't miss ICE noise. I guess there's pros and cons to EV and ICE and you just accept the plus points of each. I feel like I'm light years away from an EV: partly down to cost, partly down to convenience, partly because I just love the sound of a good engine/exhaust