F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 950WHP Project
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #45
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
Hey man so I'm pwg and currently waiting on my ps2 to arrive. What tuning issues did you have? Boost control issues because of being pwg? I'm wondering who you got yours tuned by that got it running properly and which software you used?
I will be running the mhd ots pure map until I can set something up with a custom tuner.
I'm trying to decide if a dorch stg1 hpfp will be enough for e30-e50 mix and around 500hp. What fueling are you using? I will also be adding methanol but more for cooling then fuel supplementing. Any tips or advice would be awesome.
What is the status on your build? Very excited to hear!
I went with the dorch stg2 hpfp but I'm only running the ots MHD 93 hybrid turbo map because the tuner at twisted recommended to upgrade my clutch because it would slip on the dyno. it's been too cold for the past month so I still haven't installed it yet. But it's going to be over 40 degrees here in PA this week so hopefully I will install and get her on the dyno for a e50 tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #46
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
I went with the dorch stg2 hpfp but I'm only running the ots MHD 93 hybrid turbo map because the tuner at twisted recommended to upgrade my clutch because it would slip on the dyno. it's been too cold for the past month so I still haven't installed it yet. But it's going to be over 40 degrees here in PA this week so hopefully I will install and get her on the dyno for a e50 tune.
Awesome!

What boost is the hybrid map running?

Last edited by 435gc; 02-26-2021 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:33 AM   #47
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey man so I'm pwg and currently waiting on my ps2 to arrive. What tuning issues did you have? Boost control issues because of being pwg? I'm wondering who you got yours tuned by that got it running properly and which software you used?
I will be running the mhd ots pure map until I can set something up with a custom tuner.
I'm trying to decide if a dorch stg1 hpfp will be enough for e30-e50 mix and around 500hp. What fueling are you using? I will also be adding methanol but more for cooling then fuel supplementing. Any tips or advice would be awesome.
Logs to share from the OTS map? I like to compare boost control/WGDC
      03-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #48
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
How did you get rod knock?

Also, i highly recommend you do some research on Ghassan. There was an entire thread dedicated to them with people saying they are scammers. Also check reviews other places online.
I heard after I ordered, really hoping it all goes smooth for me, I just heard that my engine is supposed to arrive to the shop on monday!

I looked for a basic replacement but it seemed like a great deal with that 2 year warranty, and the fact that I was getting a rebuilt engine, instead of a used one that would potentially come with issues. So then going through his options, the G700 seemed like a good deal, and since I already had the SpeedTech 8374 kit, then might as well. Really hoping it all goes well, as having 2 N55s fail on me at the same time is really depressing
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #49
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
I heard after I ordered, really hoping it all goes smooth for me, I just heard that my engine is supposed to arrive to the shop on monday!

I looked for a basic replacement but it seemed like a great deal with that 2 year warranty, and the fact that I was getting a rebuilt engine, instead of a used one that would potentially come with issues. So then going through his options, the G700 seemed like a good deal, and since I already had the SpeedTech 8374 kit, then might as well. Really hoping it all goes well, as having 2 N55s fail on me at the same time is really depressing
Good luck, please keep us posted. When you get the engine i would do at least some basic inspections (i.e., boroscope) to see if the engine is actually rebuilt. A lot of people claimed to order rebuilt/built engines only to look inside and see it was just a used unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #50
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Good luck, please keep us posted. When you get the engine i would do at least some basic inspections (i.e., boroscope) to see if the engine is actually rebuilt. A lot of people claimed to order rebuilt/built engines only to look inside and see it was just a used unit.
I'll ask the shop to inspect it before installing, thanks for the heads up! I know businesses can make mistakes, it's them owning up to it and rectifying the issue that I care for the most, so hope I get a good engine!
Appreciate 2
harkes1077.00
      03-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #51
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Quote:
Awesome!

What boost is the hybrid map running?
I believe it's only 16psi. I have not been driving the car lately but it's supposed to be 50+ out in PA next week so I'll get some logs real quick before I tear it apart again to install my new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #52
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Logs to share from the OTS map? I like to compare boost control/WGDC
it's still been cold and I haven't really been driving it. I just been leaving it on my lift with the wheels off. its supposed to be 50+ out next week so if I get a chance I'll get some fresh logs of the hybrid ots map before I tear it apart again to install my clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:06 AM   #53
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

The saga continues, terrible experiences from pretty much everyone that's worked on this car, I pay up no questions asked, and they just continue to screw me over.

The engine was replaced and it's full of problems, shop says it was Ghassan's fault, as it wouldn't start, shop fixes the problem, etc, makes it run I pick it up, runs smooth, but next day problems start showing up, and the shop won't do anything. I'm getting no boost, limp mode, engine sounds very unhappy making all kinds of noises, tuner says there may be a vacuum leak which seems like it as there's a vacuum line change from the shop and there's mixed comments online about it. The oil temp won't show any temp when it's warm for sure, as the fan runs at full speed, which I'm sure the shop messed up the fan cause it sounds extremely loud and vibrates like crazy when it's running. It also shifts on it's own while in manual mode. AC and heater don't work even though I had him install a brand new water pump and thermostat. It also makes a clicking noise when turning at low speeds. Haven't even had a chance to start pushing for power, it's never gone higher than 16psi when it had boost. Shop also installed a Dorch Stage 2 with the new engine, which may also be at fault as I get several codes for it and it's probably running rich as it sometimes smell like gas.

I don't even know where to start to fix the problems myself, even though I don't have a place to work on the car. Ghassan won't get in touch with the shop to have my core sent back to which I already paid for shipping, and would hopefully get my core deposit back, based on my luck, I highly doubt I'll get that money back, cause he'll probably come up with some excuse.

I've been taking lots of logs and screenshots of the codes just in case, but let me know what you guys think I should do, I really need my car as it's my daily and I have a long commute
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #54
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
The saga continues, terrible experiences from pretty much everyone that's worked on this car, I pay up no questions asked, and they just continue to screw me over.

The engine was replaced and it's full of problems, shop says it was Ghassan's fault, as it wouldn't start, shop fixes the problem, etc, makes it run I pick it up, runs smooth, but next day problems start showing up, and the shop won't do anything. I'm getting no boost, limp mode, engine sounds very unhappy making all kinds of noises, tuner says there may be a vacuum leak which seems like it as there's a vacuum line change from the shop and there's mixed comments online about it. The oil temp won't show any temp when it's warm for sure, as the fan runs at full speed, which I'm sure the shop messed up the fan cause it sounds extremely loud and vibrates like crazy when it's running. It also shifts on it's own while in manual mode. AC and heater don't work even though I had him install a brand new water pump and thermostat. It also makes a clicking noise when turning at low speeds. Haven't even had a chance to start pushing for power, it's never gone higher than 16psi when it had boost. Shop also installed a Dorch Stage 2 with the new engine, which may also be at fault as I get several codes for it and it's probably running rich as it sometimes smell like gas.

I don't even know where to start to fix the problems myself, even though I don't have a place to work on the car. Ghassan won't get in touch with the shop to have my core sent back to which I already paid for shipping, and would hopefully get my core deposit back, based on my luck, I highly doubt I'll get that money back, cause he'll probably come up with some excuse.

I've been taking lots of logs and screenshots of the codes just in case, but let me know what you guys think I should do, I really need my car as it's my daily and I have a long commute
hate to say it but never buy a motor from them. never. sorry for your loss. the builder will blame the installer and now well.. good luck.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #55
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

I'm not sure you did the proper ground work and research for this build...

But one step at a time. Did the engine checks out? Compression, leakdown and boroscope?

Are you sure DME (all modules) are up to date with this engine?

If your oil temp sensor isn't working, of course it will go into limp mode (how does the dme knows whether your engine is overheating or not?)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #56
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Dude you are in way over your head with this project. I've lost count the amount of times I've facepalmed reading this whole thread. My advice is get rid of the car or find a shop that actually knows what they're doing without having to dump an insane amount of money into this mess.

The fact you thought this would be a good idea for your daily is mind boggling.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      05-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #57
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

how much to take this headache off your hands?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #58
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashpotato View Post
I'm not sure you did the proper ground work and research for this build...

But one step at a time. Did the engine checks out? Compression, leakdown and boroscope?

Are you sure DME (all modules) are up to date with this engine?

If your oil temp sensor isn't working, of course it will go into limp mode (how does the dme knows whether your engine is overheating or not?)
Yeah when I picked it up it felt solid, it's not misfiring, but it won't idle good, it shuts down at least like 4 or 5 times on a cold start, so thats probably the vacuum issue? I checked the sensor and it was properly connected, I got the code as I was driving normal on the highway, but in manual mode cause the tune isn't complete and because of the mountains, the engine just felt better if I shifted, and that's when I got the code and it started shifting on its own. I'm gonna fire up ista and see how much it can do, not sure if the HPFP has to be relearned or program but hopefully ista can help. I'm also gonna check the fuel pumps to be sure, and go from there. I'll post some logs and the codes in a few, just putting it together as it happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #59
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
Dude you are in way over your head with this project. I've lost count the amount of times I've facepalmed reading this whole thread. My advice is get rid of the car or find a shop that actually knows what they're doing without having to dump an insane amount of money into this mess.

Way to step on someone while he's drowning smh. If you're not gonna help then don't say anything Mr. Perfect "know it all".

Hope karma doesn't randomly blow your engine up after that comment.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #60
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
how much to take this headache off your hands?
25k and it's yours
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #61
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Quote:
Way to step on someone while he's drowning smh. If you're not gonna help then don't say anything Mr. Perfect "know it all".

I'm advising you to stop the bleeding. You have a limited ability to diagnose what the problems are and you admit that all these shops are screwing you. These projects are not common on this platform so there's not a lot of information readily available. My comments were not meant to step down on you although I'm sure I could have worded it much better. It's your money and it's your car but at the end of the day will it be worth it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:02 PM   #62
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post

you do realize the irony in you saying that right?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #63
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

Saw your other threads as well. For a new engine I guess you have to reset all adaptations. At this point you have to prioritize, what is the first problem to solve?

It must be the limp mode, otherwise u can't diagnose anything when the engine is trying to save itself. I hope you are also on a conservative tune (stock like) when u diagnose
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #64
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Saw your other threads as well. For a new engine I guess you have to reset all adaptations. At this point you have to prioritize, what is the first problem to solve?

It must be the limp mode, otherwise u can't diagnose anything when the engine is trying to save itself. I hope you are also on a conservative tune (stock like) when u diagnose
My guess would be to get it out of limp mode right? It's still on a conservative tune, up to 16psi, but haven't driven it hard as the shop recommended not to for a while. I believe the LPFP may be at fault, so I'll mechanically start there. Software wise, I'm planning on using ISTA. Wouldn't resetting adaptations cause any issues like the transmission? I read somewhere that the HPFP has to be relearned, is that true?

I have tons of logs, but here's the latest, let me know if this one isn't useful:
https://datazap.me/u/bimmerace/hpfp-...og=0&data=4-18
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #65
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

My guess would be to get it out of limp mode right? It's still on a conservative tune, up to 16psi, but haven't driven it hard as the shop recommended not to for a while. I believe the LPFP may be at fault, so I'll mechanically start there. Software wise, I'm planning on using ISTA. Wouldn't resetting adaptations cause any issues like the transmission? I read somewhere that the HPFP has to be relearned, is that true?

I have tons of logs, but here's the latest, let me know if this one isn't useful:
https://datazap.me/u/bimmerace/hpfp-...&data=4-18
Do not reset the transmission adoptions unless you've replaced or have had it rebuilt.

reseting adoptions that people are talking about are for the engine. its something that can be done with bootmod3 super easily so I'm assuming it can be done with other interfaces easily as well.

I had no relearn time with my hpfp, or my lpfp.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #66
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Do not reset the transmission adoptions unless you've replaced or have had it rebuilt.

reseting adoptions that people are talking about are for the engine. its something that can be done with bootmod3 super easily so I'm assuming it can be done with other interfaces easily as well.

I had no relearn time with my hpfp, or my lpfp.
Correct, dont reset transmission adaptations.

You can reset all the DME adaptations through MHD, but i doubt its going to make a difference. You can do that and clear all fault codes and see what comes back, then start systematically trying to diagnose.

Step 0 was to make sure you got a good engine because Ghassan does not have a good reputation. Compression/leakdown/boroscope as mentioned above.

Step 1 is to make sure everything in the engine is mechanically connected properly. Vacuum/pressure/smoke test. That may solve some of the basic problems.

I looked at your log and you have basically no HPFP pressure so that's obviously a problem. The screenshot you posted of the monitoring screen, was that with the car running? Its shows low pressure as well as low battery voltage for a running car, so that could be another problem.
Appreciate 0